MultiModule help

More
11 May 2016 05:19 - 11 May 2016 18:55 #48189 by sfersystem
Replied by sfersystem on topic MultiModule help
open a new post thx
Last edit: 11 May 2016 18:55 by sfersystem.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 May 2016 05:41 #48682 by misherman
Replied by misherman on topic MultiModule help

skretchmer wrote: I have made some interesting progress for anyone still following this thread.
If I install all 3 modules I can get things to work. (at least the 7105 and the NRF, as I can not test the CC2500)
However,
1) the advice given to try the MM board with no modules installed with just the MM un-commented out in the hardware.ini file does not work.
2) I have found that the MM board does NOT take care of the CE pin on the NRF module. With the module just connected to the board the TX sees the module (no error), but it will NOT bind to anything. As soon as I short the CE pin to VCC with a jumper, it works fine.

now to clean it all up, install in in the radio, and hope it keeps working.

I have read your horror story several times, and I'm sure I would not have the background or persistence to figure this out.
The reason I was so interested is I am also attempting to build a MM for the 7E, with the added complication that I have no experience in hardware or microprocessor pgming, and will be trying to put all 4 modules in the MM (another story). So, I had just gotten my 1st module (NRF) connected and was checking back on-line to follow the ATT flashing instructions when I saw your saga. I'm also trying to use the 7E to program the ATT.

I installed the 7E programmer DFU using DFuse, then copied the avr.hex file to the 7E root and ... I got the 17 byte message on boot up. That was with the v2 hex so I tried again with the v3 hex - this time I got the 20 byte verified message. Does the same every time I boot now.

Do you think fixing the NRF jumper or installing all the modules got you past this error? Or do I have to order the USBAsp?

Thx in advance.

More
19 May 2016 05:46 #48683 by misherman
Forgot I did also update the hardare.ini file to enable the NRF and mutimodule.

More
19 May 2016 07:01 #48686 by Fernandez
Replied by Fernandez on topic MultiModule help
I think we can declare multimodule as end of life?

Connecting 3 additonal Tx modules,each csn lines direct without multimod, has been proven to work fine in most of our devo Tx, is less work, troubles and costs. see the 3in 4in1 module thread.

More
19 May 2016 07:56 - 19 May 2016 08:11 #48689 by RedSleds
Replied by RedSleds on topic MultiModule help

Fernandez wrote: I think we can declare multimodule as end of life?

I don't think so. The v1.3 MM kind of simplifies things, in my opinion.

For one, it connects all the transceivers through its circuitry and ATtiny micro-controller. It makes a fairly compact package that fits easily into a full sized Tx if you solder the transceivers directly to it and don't use header sockets to make them "un-pluggable" from the MM. (I did my MM different than most, a hybrid if you will, by extending some wiring for the nRF24L01 from the MM board to the other side of the Tx)' I made all of my transceivers un-pluggable from my MM. >>> If you are interested in seeing what I did <<<

Two, it provides the correct jumpering of the pins on the A7105 & CC2500 transceivers for the v4.0.1 Nightly builds and newer firmware.

True, for small form-factor Tx's like the 7e, the MM does present some challenges to find a place to fit it in, and wiring the transceivers individually to the Tx makes it easier to fit them all in.

The 3-in-1 module does simplify everything, and once all of the kinks get worked out, it will be a great option so that you can avoid the porcupine look of multiple antennae if you want to mount them all externally. Only downside that I can see is if it fails, it will cost more to replace 3-in-1 than it will to replace a single transceiver. I haven't been following the 3-in-1 progress lately about the short range issue, perhaps that is all worked out by now? ...but I do know that the recommended transceivers for the MM build and for the separately direct wired methods, are well proven, and provide great range.

Don't count the MM out just yet! It still has a little useful life left in it.
...at least until Dr. Leonard McCoy clearly states, "It's dead Jim".

........but,

DEVO 10 - Multi-module with nRF24L01 +PA +LNA, A7105 +PA, & CC2500 +PA +LNA transceivers.
Nightly Build: v4.0.1-548bbf5 (6/9/2015)
Attachments:
Last edit: 19 May 2016 08:11 by RedSleds.

More
19 May 2016 16:08 #48721 by misherman
OK, so I am stuck at the same point OP was with flashing the ATtiny from the 7E. I'm going to assume it doesn't work for the 7E, although Seby did it with the 10 (naturally). So after reviewing this thread again, OP got it to work by getting the USBASP download pgmmer from BG.

I don't know anything about microprocessor flashing, but trying to avoid another delay. I happen to have an ST-Link V2 downloader programmer (stm8 stm32) from BG which I got to download some FC code onto my Eachine H8 mini (haven't tried it yet). m.banggood.com/ST-LINK-V2-Emulator-Downl...-STM32-p-973898.html

Is it possible that this one could download the hex file to the ATtiny or do these chips require their own flavor pgmmer? If it's possible I need a little help translating pin language. I can see the 3.3V, Gnd, Rst on the ST-link, but there is no MOSI, SCK, or MISO. There is SWIM, SWDIO, and SWCLK - do these have any equivalence?

More
19 May 2016 19:31 - 19 May 2016 19:31 #48733 by HappyHarry
Replied by HappyHarry on topic MultiModule help
the attiny are atmel chips and require a USBasp or an USBTinyISP to program them, it's not possible with the stm32 afaik
Last edit: 19 May 2016 19:31 by HappyHarry.

More
19 May 2016 20:23 #48738 by misherman
Thanks for quick response. Another order up for BG (what's another 3 week delay at this point :sick: ).
If someone sees another way to correct the hex load from a 7E in less than 3 weeks, please let me know!

More
20 May 2016 11:30 #48853 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic MultiModule help
Yes, they require their own flavor of programmer. There is a DFU file for some of the devo transmitters that makes it act as such a programmer. People seem to have problems with it. I already have programmers, so haven't tried that. SebyDocky's videos cover it, though.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
20 May 2016 12:47 #48860 by misherman
Seby shows the programmer DFU working on a 10. At least the OP here and I couldn't make it work on a 7E. Someone should put a warning on the "Building the MM" doc for 7E.

More
20 May 2016 12:58 #48862 by misherman
@mwm
By the way, if you haven't seen my "External MM" thread for a while www.deviationtx.com/forum/3-feedback-que...e-questions?start=20 , changing direction based on this thread. Will start a new thread to be less confusing.

More
20 May 2016 14:36 #48869 by silpstream
Replied by silpstream on topic MultiModule help
@misherman, if you have an arduino (with usb port) or can borrow one you should be able to use it to do tue programming. Do a google search for "arduino as isp".

More
20 May 2016 15:53 #48874 by misherman
Unfortunately don't have any experience with arduino. I think I can get a USBasp quicker. thanks for suggestion.

More
21 May 2016 03:18 #48920 by misherman
Borrowed a USBasp and got the Attiny flashed. Tested the NRF module and it works on the MM. Moving on.

Time to create page: 0.082 seconds