devo 12 wide screen...

More
27 Apr 2013 16:12 #9276 by Hexperience
devo 12 wide screen... was created by Hexperience
Hey PB.. did you just pull rbe2012's widescreen into deviation?

I spent a few hours this morning doing the same thing on my repo....

Figures... ;)

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Apr 2013 16:18 #9277 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic devo 12 wide screen...
Yes I pulled his repo. It adds the backend support for wide-screen, but the pages are all still 320x240. I thought you had some further upgrades to improve several of the pages. I expect to start working on the Devo12 interface soon, so pleases make any work you've done on the widescreen available to save me some work.

More
27 Apr 2013 16:34 #9278 by Hexperience
Replied by Hexperience on topic devo 12 wide screen...
Sure thing. Glad to help out, but I won't be able to work on it until tonight. I'll have to redo some of my screens because they are on a very old pull from his repo.

My changes were simply to move the objects around and allow for more bars (etc).

RBE2012 had created a complete new gui for the devo12 that had all kinds of custom stuff. Very cool, but much different.

Anyway, I'll redo the stuff I did tonight, and if you want to use that it will be available. I'll do it in my repo which is a direct clone of yours.

OR I can clone RBE's if you think that is a better way to do it.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

More
27 Apr 2013 16:59 #9279 by PhracturedBlue
There is no rush. Getting the Devo12 interface complete is one of the main tasks before 3.1 (along with the PPMin stuff). So it is one of my main development tasks. But I'm still somewhat limited in time, and there are other tasks I'm working on as well.

More
28 Apr 2013 00:09 #9285 by Hexperience
In bit bucket is there a way to force the merge?

More
28 Apr 2013 03:54 #9289 by PhracturedBlue
I don't know what you mean by 'force a merge'
if you do a 'hg pull -u' then 'hg merge' it will try to merge all changes. Depending on the amount of changes it may or may not succeed.

• rbe2012
  • So much to do, so little time...
More
28 Apr 2013 07:12 - 28 Apr 2013 10:04 #9295 by rbe2012
Replied by rbe2012 on topic devo 12 wide screen...
PhracturedBlue,
I have done more work for the big Devo12 screen as I offered to you yesterday.
I have built a complete new configurable main screen with the corresponding config page, but I still do not know if this is what you want to add to deviation.
It uses more screen objects and needs to modify the model config files to save the parameters. I assume it will not be possible to transfer the new gui in parts to the old gui parameters in the model config file (a little bit like the standard and advanced mixers) so it is likely the new one will not be compatible to older versions and (more important) to other than Devo12 tx! This is the point where I think it might not be your goal...
Did you have a look at my code (or the resulting gui) yet? If you say 'ok', I will complete it and adapt it to the newest changes in deviation, but when I am on a wrong way it wouldn't really make sense to put much effort in it.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that a mechanism for versioning both tx.ini and the model config files is implemented as well.
Last edit: 28 Apr 2013 10:04 by rbe2012.

More
28 Apr 2013 12:51 #9308 by PhracturedBlue
Sorry I haven't been following too closely. Which repo should I pull to test out your changes?

• rbe2012
More
28 Apr 2013 15:40 #9314 by rbe2012
This is the one you can take: deviation-rbe-test .

I started to transfer the work to the actual deviation but this will take some time. The repo above has all the features but is not hardened now.

More
29 Apr 2013 20:22 #9345 by Hexperience
So all the 480 pages are just include files to the 320 pages. Which started me thinking about if I should just copy ALL the 320 pages to the 480 pages and start making changes, or did you want to try to only make changes specific to the 480 pages?

Meaning, if there were a change to a 320 page do you expect it to automatically carry forward to the 480 page via includes?

Of course if we use RBE's new system then it's a moot point.

More
29 Apr 2013 20:30 #9346 by FDR
Replied by FDR on topic devo 12 wide screen...
A question:
Do the resolutions differ on the DEVO 8 and 12?
i.e is the current 320*240 portion of the DEVO 12's display smaller, larger or equal to the size of the DEVO 8's display?

If the 12 has a higher resolution, then it probably would make sense to use larger widgets and fonts on it, not just more...

More
29 Apr 2013 20:47 #9347 by Hexperience
Yes, the Devo12 is 480x272. So we could just scale the devo8 pages so to speak. The dots per inch is the same though (if not it's so close you can't really see it) so the widgets and icons are the same size as on the devo8. So what you are saying is that they are too small on the devo8 (which they had to be to fit) and you want the same interface only bigger. (?)

More
29 Apr 2013 21:50 - 29 Apr 2013 22:06 #9348 by Hexperience
PB, I have done a few of the pages in the same way I did them on RBE's repo.

The resulting emu looks like this:

I have not done a pull request.

This repo is: bitbucket.org/Hexperience/deviation-hex-devo12

I wanted to point out, that for things like the scroll bar locations; the best way is the define the positions and use the defines to draw them, but all I have done so far, is to copy the pages over and edit the values directly in the code.

If you want these changes just to get the ball rolling I'd be happy to do a pull request.

I would like to make it so scroll bar positions as well as header icon positions are defined by the target, where is the best place to do that? I'm afraid my skills regarding C global variables and/or defines are a bit rusty.

--edit--
I'll do a pull request and delete it later if you don't want it.

Attachments:
Last edit: 29 Apr 2013 22:06 by Hexperience.

• rbe2012
More
29 Apr 2013 22:06 #9350 by rbe2012
Hey guys,
I am working really hard (it's after midnight again and my wife gets impatient..) to transfer my new bigscreen gui to the actual deviation code.
It is not easy, just as I expected. But I am on a good way. I think I will be ready before the weekend comes.
I asked PB about some of the changes I made and if they will meet his strategy, but he is still thinking about...

Please look at this: "configurable wide-screen gui"
and tell me what you think about this.

You can look in my actual code here: rbe-emu_devo12
The new config page and main page are not included yet (still too much errors), but most pages are resolution-dependent and use the whole screen for the elements (buttons, scrollbars, ...) - still from the 320...-pages to minimize code changes.

More
29 Apr 2013 22:11 #9351 by Hexperience
Looks awesome RBE!

More
30 Apr 2013 04:11 #9359 by FDR
Replied by FDR on topic devo 12 wide screen...

Hexperience wrote: Yes, the Devo12 is 480x272. So we could just scale the devo8 pages so to speak. The dots per inch is the same though (if not it's so close you can't really see it) so the widgets and icons are the same size as on the devo8. So what you are saying is that they are too small on the devo8 (which they had to be to fit) and you want the same interface only bigger. (?)

If the widgets look the same size, than it's all right.
I just worried that if they become too small, then we should use larger widgets and fonts to be usable, because even on the DEVO 8 they are quite small already (smaller then the original).

More
30 Apr 2013 04:41 #9361 by PhracturedBlue
Rbe,
I took a look at your new configuration screen. I think it is an interesting idea, but I'm not sure of the actual interface as it is. Has anyone tried it on a real Tx? I found it confusing as to what would happen if I actually clicked on any of the boxes (i.e.e to m at least the change was not intuitive). But I'm not sure if it is just me, or if some minor changes would resolve the confusion, or if it is fundamentally wrong.

I originally designed the ini file with the expectation that each gui would have completely different widgets (thus the 'qvga' in the section name). It turned out that we could get basically the same layout with the Devo10 so I didn't need it. I don't want to limit the Devo12, so I'm certainly game for adding additional widgets. I'd like the models to be as compatible as possible (i.e make sure the mixers transfer and fall back to a default gui when transitioning between the 8/10 and 12) but realistically moving from a 12 back to an 8/10 is likely a losing proposition as going from 3-way to 2-way switches means you'll probably need to redo the whole thing anyway.

I've considered versioning the ini files. so far I've resisted as I've been trying to keep the models compatible. However, I certainly failed with 3.0 (and there'll be yet another incompatibility with 3.1) so maybe it is a good time to do so (I'm not quite so sure about the tx.ini file...It may be that resetting tx.ini is just required for each release...Otherwise I'll need to keep around a lot of code purely used for upgrading, which I don't like.

More
30 Apr 2013 04:44 #9362 by PhracturedBlue
And Hex,
I'm going to wait on your changes until I decide how to proceed with Rbe's stuff. I'd like to make full use of the scren capabilities on the Devo12. Your changes look nice, but it would be a waste to import them if I end up completely replacing the screen.

• rbe2012
More
30 Apr 2013 06:42 #9369 by rbe2012
Ok, good news - that gives me the necessary freedom...

FDR: the items have the same size and font as they have with 320..., but they are organized in four columns.

PB: I have no real tx to play with, only the emulator.
The items on the main config page roll through the different types they can have (smallbox - bigbox - icon - toggles - cross - smallbars - bigbars - again from smallbox). If you touch them for a longer time there open a few fields where you can configure them (sadly I have not achieved that they open when a long touch is detected - they open when the stylus is lifted).
Because it is used as a preview I have not found another way of presenting the items - I thought about GUI_TextSelect and maybe I could place them in the middle of the items but I'm not sure if it makes it more intuitive (scroll arrows for selecting items, pressable for configure). I can give it a try if you want me to.
I actually eliminated the code for model file versioning (but of course still need a new section) and tried to create a working fallback for the [gui-qvga] so both parts are filled and usable.

• rbe2012
More
30 Apr 2013 06:46 #9371 by rbe2012
PB: versioning the tx.ini was an idea to give the users who are willing to make hardware changes a way to place parameters without interference with older versions - no need for the main line as far as I can see.

Time to create page: 0.062 seconds