Deviation for Devo F4?

More
30 Apr 2017 07:42 - 30 Apr 2017 07:44 #61863 by MaxQrc
Replied by MaxQrc on topic Deviation for Devo F4?
Thanks for your reply! Before I read the whole thing again (I read last time until January 2017) I just want to know ahead if any of you has a working f4 with which you can control all the Chinese quads as well as with any other deviated devo? Last time I stopped reading they have been kind of able to install deviation but it had a lot of bugs which made flying more or less a pain/impossible.
So I just want to know if it is worth reading or if up until now nobody has yet a really usable f4 with working modules!? If yes how much must I invest for the mods? :)
Last edit: 30 Apr 2017 07:44 by MaxQrc.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Apr 2017 12:08 #61868 by LucaG
Replied by LucaG on topic Deviation for Devo F4?
You can install an nRF24L01, but you can only use a couple of protocols at a time.
You want to change the protocol you have to update the radio by creating the devo.fs file with the two or three protocols that interest you. There is not enough space for more than 3 or 4 protocols (depends on the protocol size).

You can replace the memory chips so you'll have room for all protocols but you have to be good otherwise you will irreparably damage your card.

This is what you can do! But is it convenient? For me no!

The transmitter is limited by its only 4 channels.

For a serious drone, you need at least 5 channels!

Until someone finds the way to add at least one channel, it's not worth investing in this transmitter.

In my opinion it would be very easy and fast to add channels by activating them in the firmware but programmers do not seem interested in releasing a firmware with this possibility.

The Devo F4 processor is identical to that of the F7 that has multiple channels.
The processor pins in the F7 are used for the 3 additional channels and for switches are unused in F4.

You should just enable these channels in the F4 firmware. Everyone could add potentiometers through the processor pins.

In the attached picture you can see what I explained.
Attachments:

More
30 Apr 2017 12:53 #61869 by MaxQrc
Thank you so much for your detailed reply LucaG!

1. 3 protocols would be sufficient for me since I anyway only fly three quads.
2. Replacing the flash memory is overkill for me. I ever read you can also slim down the deviation package by removing some unnecessary files so there would be more space for protocols if needed!?
3. Well last time I checked it was possible to add switches as well to enable those channels in the stock firmware so I wonder why not in deviation as well!? If I find the link with the tutorial I post it.

More
30 Apr 2017 17:41 #61878 by SirDomsen
Replied by SirDomsen on topic Deviation for Devo F4?
First of all, LucaG is messing up channels and inputs, I tried to explain it to him but seems like I failed somehow ;) Of course, Deviation has all channels the protocol supports. You just lack switches (I don't think there are much more analog inputs needed, of course one can feed them in using an arduino and the trainer port via ppm). Also, you can set up every single trim switch to act as a virtual switch, which can be used to toggle a channel high or low (e.g. switch for acro/level mode, rates, arm switch, whatever)

I figured out also a 2 3way switch mod. Link in the wiki for DevoF4. You may scroll through the pages to see what we did with our F4s.

Btw, devo.fs seems to be a little less stable, at least in my case, some model file details got lost, but most likely only if changing trims. After reboot, devo.fs might be corrupted. If you don't chane anything in,your model files, you're fine in my experience. Another way is to replace the flash memory. Not that hard, I didn't do it yet but should work fine. It's a replacement of a 'bug' with 8 legs.

More
01 May 2017 01:35 - 01 May 2017 07:22 #61891 by MaxQrc
Thanks for the clarification SirDomsen! :)

I guess I have seen your tutorial on how to add switches last time I visited here. Thanks for that one!

All right please correct me in case I got you wrong, if you don't mess with the model files (because then it might exceed the flash memory and you get that error) then everything works well!
So switches work, channels work, module works, deviation works, Vrx works...right!? :D

Well if I doctor on that bug I fear I would accidently kill it! ;) As well I don't like to ask someone to do it for me unless someone kindly offers it to me by himselve. :)
Last edit: 01 May 2017 07:22 by MaxQrc.

More
01 May 2017 05:45 #61893 by SirDomsen
I have to,try this mod myself first ;)

More
01 May 2017 07:27 #61895 by MaxQrc

SirDomsen wrote: I have to,try this mod myself first ;)

Be careful not to kill or harm that poor bug! ;)

Keep us updated if that mod really cures the instability of the firmware!

More
01 May 2017 11:38 #61898 by LucaG
MaxQrc, I will try to answer your questions.

This is my point of view!

1. - If three protocols are enough for you, okay? Consider that at the end you have to put 4 in the Devo.fs file; In fact, the 3 protocols you are interested in will use nRF24L01, and the fourth will use the CYRF6936 (Devo; DSM2; DSMX).
Consider using four protocols to remove memory to store the templates. For complex models, you could take up too much memory and make the transmitter unstable.

2. I understand you. This intervention is very relevant to the experience and manualness of those who try.

3. The switches you can add are those you see in the pictures I attach!
Warning: I asked to confirm the diagrams I developed by reading the post but nobody could confirm me with certainty that they are correct!

OBSERVATION:
One thing is to add switches, what's different is having the 5th and 6th channels.
A radio like the F4 with an FPV system, limited to four channels for me, is not a valid commercial product. If I have the FPV without 2 more channels how do I control a gimbal camera?
To command a "serious" drone I need a 5th channel not a switch.
Watch the video
Attachments:

More
01 May 2017 11:44 - 01 May 2017 11:56 #61899 by LucaG
As for adding an arduino!

There is a lot to do and there are some contraindications.

Beware of hidden costs.

With the switches, arduino, memory change and risk to get spoiled something ..... but is it not cheaper to buy another radio?

My personal opinion is that
any F4 radio intervention is not convenient until they implement one or two channels on the radio itself via the firmware!
Last edit: 01 May 2017 11:56 by LucaG.

More
01 May 2017 12:23 - 01 May 2017 12:25 #61900 by MaxQrc
Thanks for your reply LucaG !

Nice video but unfortunately I don't understand spanish! ;)

1. I don't understand what you mean with channels? :cofused:
2. Why can't you not control a gimbal with switches or pedometers?
3. With what do you control your gimbal?
4. What do you need to command with your 5th channel?
5.Can you please mention the tx which has the functionality you are talking about?
I can't follow you so far. :o
Last edit: 01 May 2017 12:25 by MaxQrc.

More
01 May 2017 12:37 #61901 by LucaG
Explain me how to control 2-axis gimbal camera with switches!
Thank you

In the Italian video it is very well explained how to use a channel to set the PIDs either by testing or during the flight.
Doing the same thing (at the same level) with switches is in theory possible and practically impossible.

More
01 May 2017 12:48 - 01 May 2017 12:53 #61902 by MaxQrc
Ah now I get you. As in the video seen you use a pedometer. I have of course no glue if someone has ever installed one in the f4. If you have such a expensive gimbal quad then I suggest you anyway to get also a more reliable tx than attempting to mod barely supported f4!
Do yourself a favour safe some money and get a taranis qx7 or a Devo 10/12e where you already have pedometers to control your gimbal quad. :) Otherwise you might risk to loose or being unable to control properly your expensive quad. :o
Last edit: 01 May 2017 12:53 by MaxQrc.

More
01 May 2017 12:54 #61903 by LucaG
This is what I'm saying!
With the same expense and without soldering or building anything you have a much more valuable transmitter.

F4, with its limitation in the number of channels, is not worth the effort to work, weld or add switches that cost you 4 euros each!

Much better, a Taranis qx7 where with an external module you can have all the protocols you want.

More
01 May 2017 13:01 #61904 by MaxQrc
In your case very true!
In my case I only want to control 13euro Chinese toy quads! :D... they have no gimbals ;)
I am just checking if it's possible and if it is worth the work. I also have soon a modded 7e so I am not depending on my f4. But it would be nice to get also this tx working so I can give it to my brother for the silverised BWHOOP I am giving him as a present! :)

More
01 May 2017 17:53 #61907 by SirDomsen
@LucaG

If you're unable/unwilling to mod your F4, that's not our problem. Noone had figured out how to wire the pots yet, if you do, it will at least need some fine soldering at the mcu directly - I don't know if it's worth it. The Arduino version is cheap and solid, also portable to ther TX if needed (arduino pro mini is under $2, pots in myy case are taken from an old Esky TX). I understand that you rather buy another tx - well just do so, but pleas stop posting here that F4 is not worth it. It's everybody's own decision!

@Max
Stay tuned, the "bug" already lying here, ready to be soldered :P

More
01 May 2017 18:01 #61908 by FDR
Replied by FDR on topic Deviation for Devo F4?
Imagine, my DEVO 8 has no additional pots either, nevertheless it was an 8 channel transmitter, and had cost about $200 when I bought it.
I guess it is not worth it... B)

More
01 May 2017 19:05 #61909 by LucaG
SirDomsen: "well just do so, but pleas stop posting here that F4 is not worth it. It's everybody's own decision!"

I did not offend anyone!
I only expressed a personal opinion!
In this forum can everyone express freedom or is there a dictatorial system?

Who are "everybody", who have this opinion?

Have you made a meeting and decided that you do not like my opinion?

Let me not connect to the forum.
Plan a meeting, sure this idea will like it!

Quiet, I will not feel anymore!

Your behavior is incorrect!

Goodbye to everyone!
Be careful not to feel dissatisfied SirDomsen, and all the others behind us!

More
01 May 2017 20:15 #61910 by HappyHarry
Replied by HappyHarry on topic Deviation for Devo F4?

FDR wrote: Imagine, my DEVO 8 has no additional pots either, nevertheless it was an 8 channel transmitter, and had cost about $200 when I bought it.
I guess it is not worth it... B)

it also has 8 channels (as stock) and several 3 way switches than can be used to control a gimbal relatively easily, the f4 on the other hand....

pulling one point from a valid argument does not negate it, especially considering we are all entitled to our individual opinions and i've never before seen people being shot down for expressing them like this on this board :/

More
01 May 2017 20:37 #61912 by FDR
Replied by FDR on topic Deviation for Devo F4?
Look, I just made an argument, that the fact that a transmitter doesn't have additional analogue input channels, doesn't mean it is useless.
Everybody should know, that the F4 is very limited input wise, but it doesn't mean that it doesn't worth to deviate it, because it is a lot more of a transmitter with it, then without.

But I might got him wrong, since english is not my native language neither is his...

More
01 May 2017 22:50 #61915 by tbsdiscovery
Replied by tbsdiscovery on topic Deviation for Devo F4?
Hi guys, I am totally new to this so apologies if this sounds stupid. I have done so much reading but my knowledge is still limited (I sense I have a long way to go!). I have a tbs discovery drone with Naza, and I've been offered an f4 cheap.

Can I use the 4 channels for basic flight functions (yaw, pitch, roll, throttle), then trims as virtual switches to control:

Flight change mode (manual/atti/atti+gps)
Flight change mode (off/course lock/home lock)
Failsafe (sure I read somewhere this can be configured to just turning the controller off?)

Is this likely to be a fairly reliable setup now?

Eventually I would like to add a gimbal that will move in one axis - at this point I will consider soldering a new switch in as discussed earlier in this thread.

If it is possible, what receiver would be a good choice to do this? I apologise for all the questions, I just seem to be spending hours and hours reading and I'm not getting anywhere! I know I would be better off with an f7, but it's 3 times the price and I'm on a very tight budget.

Thanks very much, any help hugely appreciated!!

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds