Devo 12s 3in1 / 4in1 RF module neat installation.

More
01 May 2016 23:19 - 03 May 2016 02:27 #47570 by wasp09
Replied by wasp09 on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module
I don't have a 3 in 1 nor devo 10 yet. The power regulator on my devo 7e is too small. I have to feed my 2 extra RF modules off a separate 3.3V LDO. Perhaps you should try that.
Last edit: 03 May 2016 02:27 by wasp09.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 May 2016 01:57 #47573 by tcaudill01
Replied by tcaudill01 on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module
Thanks Wasp.....
I've already replaced the stock linear converter with a TSR 1-2450 switching one that can handle up to 1 Amp. Is there another one I should update? If so, can you diagram where it's located and suggest some suitable upgrades?

More
02 May 2016 15:23 - 03 May 2016 02:28 #47588 by wasp09
I fed the extra RF modules on a totally separated supply instead of using the original. My devo 7e had a screen corruption then a reset when it ran KN. The voltage reading on screen was way off (showing higher voltage than the 2S I fed it with as the voltage reference dropped too long.)

In a way, even if something goes wrong with the extra RF modules, the control should survive. The total capacity is somewhat 1A on top of the original 150mA, I guess.

BTW, are you sure that the switching regulator would not interfere with the radio section?
Last edit: 03 May 2016 02:28 by wasp09.

More
02 May 2016 20:28 #47600 by HappyHarry
Replied by HappyHarry on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module

dc59 wrote:

HappyHarry wrote:

dc59 wrote: the known issues for 3 in 1 : A7105 & nRF24L01 have no telemetry support duo to PA/LNA connection problem, for me it's no problem, I don't have any quad/protocol support telemetry by these two RF chip.

i thought he was correcting this issue for the second batch?

3in1 A7105 LNA issue was fixed , but I don't know exactly date or batch (I will try to ask TaoBao seller to mark version number on board.),
but nRF24L01 LNA will take more time to redesign PCB,this is what I got from TaoBao seller.

thanks for the info :)

More
02 May 2016 21:01 #47602 by ketsa
Replied by ketsa on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module

mwm wrote: " We're already going to drop (at least temporarily) new development for the 7E

I just canceled my order for a 7E after reading this, and I'm not spending 200$+ on a tx and mods, what are my options on a budget ?

For right now I just want a better tx for my toy grade quads, I might start some hobby grade builds later.

More
02 May 2016 21:16 - 02 May 2016 21:18 #47606 by HappyHarry
to be honest the current codebase for the 7e is more capable than most people will ever need, add to that 2 x 3way switches, the range mod and 3 modules or a 3in1 and you have a very potent and cheap tx. the fact that future code additions may not be coming to the 7e isn't a barrier to buying one imho as any additions from here on out is just candy, i don't need voice prompts, or anything like that

for what your after (multiprotocol in 1 tx i presume) in the price range nothing is that close to the 7e i'm afraid, your next choice price wise is a turnigy 9xr pro with a mutimodule based 4in1, next is a devo10 and a 3in1/4in1, after that is a taranis x9d/x9d+ and a mutimodule based 4in1. but i'd stick with a 7e, in fact i just ordered a replacement 7e the other day ;)
Last edit: 02 May 2016 21:18 by HappyHarry.

More
02 May 2016 21:48 - 02 May 2016 22:17 #47609 by ketsa
Replied by ketsa on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module
I dont need voice prompts or such fancy stuff either, i just want the multiprotocol. and I worry new quads wont be added to the 7E in the near future.

Thanks for the advice, I will consider my options after a good sleep.

edit : 54$ on Aliexpress. Anyone found a better offer ?
Last edit: 02 May 2016 22:17 by ketsa.

More
02 May 2016 22:30 #47610 by tcaudill01
Replied by tcaudill01 on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module
Ahhhhhhh................. Never thought about pulling a separate circuit to power the multi board. Might be worth a try.

As for the switching converter, I got the idea after reading about people upgrading their X9, DX6 and DX8 to switching supplies for both longer battery life and less internal heat.
I am sure there is potential for stray RF noise being generated by the switching supply, but so far in about 8 months of use I haven't experienced any issues transmitting with either DEVO or WK2x01 protocol.

Thanks for the advice.

More
02 May 2016 23:08 #47613 by HappyHarry

ketsa wrote: I dont need voice prompts or such fancy stuff either, i just want the multiprotocol. and I worry new quads wont be added to the 7E in the near future.

Thanks for the advice, I will consider my options after a good sleep.

edit : 54$ on Aliexpress. Anyone found a better offer ?

in relation to new quads/protocols the 7e will still receive them afaik, being as it stores the protocol binaries on the filesystem and not in the main program like other deviated tx's, so as long as the protocol is under the size limit (4kb iirc) then the 7e can use it, and up to now all the protocols have been (though some are getting close as they are being added too)

as for a new 7e aliexpress is the cheapest I could find when looking the other day. though you might pick up a second hand one a littke cheaper

More
02 May 2016 23:43 - 02 May 2016 23:44 #47614 by RedSleds
Replied by RedSleds on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module

ketsa wrote: edit : 54$ on Aliexpress. Anyone found a better offer ?

$52.99 from Bang_good U.S. warehouse, DHL Express shipping(+$5.08) 3-7 days for delivery. $58 total, which is pretty good, since it used to go for ~$75 in the past.
Better than waiting for 4-8 weeks to get it from China!!!

DEVO 10 - Multi-module with nRF24L01 +PA +LNA, A7105 +PA, & CC2500 +PA +LNA transceivers.
Nightly Build: v4.0.1-548bbf5 (6/9/2015)
Last edit: 02 May 2016 23:44 by RedSleds.

More
03 May 2016 02:24 - 03 May 2016 02:26 #47617 by wasp09
The only problem with my 7E is too crowded inside, with 2 extra switches and 2 extra modules and the original RF module replaced with a 8S module plus a 2S battery inside. I hate opening it up to do any more mods when it works fine. I am getting a new devo 10, a self present for my coming birthday, so that I can add 3 modules without soldering directly on to the MCU and have all the switches I want. :P
Last edit: 03 May 2016 02:26 by wasp09.

More
03 May 2016 02:48 #47619 by HappyHarry
the deviated d10 is a nice tx, but it's full size and that's something I have lost the will to lug about when just flying my small stuff, also using the stock battery and a 3in1 sorts any space issues in the 7e, in fact you can fit 3 modules + the original using the stock battery setup quite easily, though you are still down a few switches and pots vs a d10, but horses for courses. the ideal world for me is the 6s, it's just too highly priced for what it is imo

More
03 May 2016 03:22 #47621 by dc59
Replied by dc59 on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module

wasp09 wrote: The only problem with my 7E is too crowded inside, with 2 extra switches and 2 extra modules and the original RF module replaced with a 8S module plus a 2S battery inside. I hate opening it up to do any more mods when it works fine. I am getting a new devo 10, a self present for my coming birthday, so that I can add 3 modules without soldering directly on to the MCU and have all the switches I want. :P

I think DEVO10 is best choice !!
Once 4in1 adapter board for deviation finish,maybe we can just take out stock RF module and install 4in1 into it, no need to solder any wire!
by the way, 7E's running out of MCU memory, I have 2 devo7e and I don't think I can upgrade MCU by myself ..... :(

More
03 May 2016 06:43 #47630 by Richard96816
Replied by Richard96816 on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module

ketsa wrote:

mwm wrote: " We're already going to drop (at least temporarily) new development for the 7E

I just canceled my order for a 7E after reading this, and I'm not spending 200$+ on a tx and mods, what are my options on a budget ?

For right now I just want a better tx for my toy grade quads, I might start some hobby grade builds later.

The beauty of open software is that others can take the current software and breathe new life into it should that become necessary. There are lots of 7e owners interested in its continuation.

(I still think we should be lobbying the manufacturer to make a version of the 7e available with the better chip with larger flash. The cost difference is something like $2. But that's a different issue.)

More
03 May 2016 08:32 #47635 by TheSFReader
Replied by TheSFReader on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module
As far as I understand, Walkera doesn't really support the 7e anymore, (mainly switched to the F series), so I wouldn't count on them to be receptive on changes for that "deprecated" model. However, now would be the better time for propositions regarding the newer transmitters...

As for deviation deprecating the 7e, I understand the choice seems to be (so far) to keep it at least temporarily for now, and removing the "standard" GUI to get some room. cf. www.deviationtx.com/forum/general-polls/...he-7e?start=20#47555

More
03 May 2016 10:07 #47640 by cmpang
Replied by cmpang on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module
removing the standard gui to make more room for 7e is a wise move.

More
03 May 2016 14:03 #47663 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module

Richard96816 wrote: The beauty of open software is that others can take the current software and breathe new life into it should that become necessary. There are lots of 7e owners interested in its continuation

We'd really rather not fork deviation. Even me. Even a build from the same source that can't share model files is undesirable. Avoiding that is one of the things that has been keeping useful work out of deviation.

There are a number of things in the works to keep the 7E alive. Dropping the standard GUI was just the first step. The same will also help the F7 & F4 ports when they get done. But even under those circumstances, I wouldn't expect new features to show up on the 7E.

On the other hand, having a current build of deviation and a standard build platform in the docker images means that we can build protocols for that build and distribute those, which we haven't been able to do in the recent past. So if you're mostly in it for the protocols, life will be better for a while.

The other options depend on what you want. If you're into the 7E for the form factor, try finding a 6S. No memory problems, more switches out of the box, ability to add yet more switches. Just expensive and hard to find.

If you're in it for the price, the next best option would be a TH9X from hobby king and the DIY multi-protocol module. it's a bit more expensive, full-sized, and has lower quality components/assembly, but the open source firmware is very capable, and with the ongoing work on the multiprotocol module should be able to run all the protocols you want.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
03 May 2016 14:11 #47664 by HappyHarry
my 3in1 arrived today, i'll pull the shield off for a look later on to see what if any changes have been made since the original and i'll post some pics of it. only thing i don;t like is the inclusion of the headers, i'd prefer if they were just left loose in the package and you can add them if you want to use them, but that's a very small gripe.

More
03 May 2016 14:50 - 03 May 2016 14:51 #47667 by wasp09
I haven't looked into the 6S. I am not a fan of touch colour screen when it is expensive. :) My 7E came with a 6S RF module, that may imply the devo 6S was also a reduced version for Walkera to grade its product line. Not too many shops carry 6S, can't even find it on ebay.

Anyway the only TXs left on Walkera's website are the F7 and F12E. I guess the F7 may be small enough, but it costs more than a devo 10. I am not sure if the F7 screen can be used with non-walkera FPV cameras/transmitters for the extra cost.

It is nice to know if the 3 in 1 shipped today would contain all the fixes. Thanks.
Last edit: 03 May 2016 14:51 by wasp09.

More
03 May 2016 16:20 #47678 by victzh
Replied by victzh on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module
F7 is approximately the same size as Devo 10. I have F4 - it's the same box, less switches (none, to be exact).

Time to create page: 0.154 seconds