Updating and internationalizing documentation

More
02 Apr 2017 19:06 #61088 by FDR
BTW an other plus for the new method is that unlike the old version, it can be opened in the new Acrobat Reader versions... :woohoo:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Apr 2017 19:09 #61089 by FDR
However a minus is that the text doesn't flow around the pictures.
...and the beautiful logo has gone from the cover! :P

More
02 Apr 2017 20:00 - 02 Apr 2017 20:39 #61094 by Moeder
I reread the old thread where PB discussed the pdf building process and why he stuck to it. It seems actually that rst2pdf gives more problems than anything also, albeit it's easy to use. But since I had some latex experience, I wasn't afraid to do the switch. I'm currently cleaning up the build process in my repo. One of the major problems was latex not being able to parse svgs, but I solved this and now the basic manual building works.
Please note I haven't done anything to the style files, so this is a pretty basic Sphinx look, which we can still adapt to our liking. And you will get your logo back if you want to :P

Translations will still be pulled from the same transifex project, we will only need to add a token for transifex to the DeviationTX travis settings. So if you want to you can continue work, but honestly I'd suggest we wait with translations (except some test ones I'll also do to test the multi language output) until we are in main repo in case something gets messed up (but which I think is pretty unlikely as it is already working pretty solid).

edit: the logo is back B)

File Attachment:

File Name: Deviation8...4-02.pdf
File Size:1,416 KB
Attachments:
Last edit: 02 Apr 2017 20:39 by Moeder. Reason: logotime!

More
02 Apr 2017 20:48 #61097 by FDR
Actually I wanted to try how changes would be handled.
I.e. when a translation is done, change something in the original, and how that will reflected in transifex.
The same for small changes and larger overhauls...

More
02 Apr 2017 20:49 #61098 by FDR
C'mon, that was just a joke! :lol:

More
02 Apr 2017 21:00 #61099 by Moeder
I know, but I was just going through conf.py options when "latex_logo" struck me ;)

More
03 Apr 2017 17:03 #61126 by Moeder
@FDR How should we go on from here? Should I set up a temporary upload solution for all languages at a separate location and grant you write access to my fork, so we can test manual and transifex changes a little more?

More
03 Apr 2017 17:44 - 03 Apr 2017 17:45 #61129 by FDR
While it would be better to test all the features of Transifex in advance, it isn't easy to do, and as far as I see we won't find a better solution anyway, so as for me, you can redirect the repository and we will test it in real life usage. If it won't work the way we would like, we can still drop it. There is no such thing in deviation at the moment, so we don't need to replace anything irreversibly.
Furthermore, we can start translating the manual even before we can actually compile them...

On the other side, we need to change the build process, so in the end there were a few PDFs with the language postfixes, which can be uploaded automatically.

Also we need to build the HTML documentation too, which should end in a zip file with all the contents. Then I have to make an upload procedure for that too.

Finally somebody can start to refine the document format as well, but that has the least priority IMO.
Last edit: 03 Apr 2017 17:45 by FDR.

More
03 Apr 2017 18:01 #61130 by Moeder
Well, we are changing the english pdf for this, but except for minor glitches it is looking pretty good to me.

I will recheck everything, clean up the Makefile including zipping html directory (is that how you upload it to DeviationTX or could we also directly upload html manual?) and make a pull request.

More
03 Apr 2017 18:13 #61131 by FDR
I plan to upload the zip, and there unzip it.
It's easier and faster, then uploading a lot of files into a few different directories...

More
04 Apr 2017 16:21 #61160 by Moeder
I've made a pull request, as all is working fine except pushing back translations to the git repository.

In HTML builds, after make html-release the files en.zip, fr.zip etc. Are found in html-devo8 (or 10), each zip contains the subdirectory html-devo8-en and so on.

For PDF, after make latexpdf-release, devo8manual_en.pdf and all others can be found in pdf-devo8.

We can change the output process in Makefile if you prefer something else for the upload script.

More
04 Apr 2017 19:18 #61170 by FDR
Thanks!

Do we need translated HTML versions at all?
I thought we will have them only in english, like it is today...

More
04 Apr 2017 19:41 #61172 by Moeder
Well, why not use them? They are automatically build, so we might as well publish them.

More
04 Apr 2017 19:44 #61174 by FDR
Because they would need new main menu items on the left, which I don't want to (~=can't) make on the fly...

More
04 Apr 2017 19:54 #61176 by Moeder
You could make links to PDF and HTML on www.deviationtx.com/user-manual

More
04 Apr 2017 20:00 #61179 by FDR
Do you mean simple weblinks in the header like the one to the GitHub repository, or as downloadable files like the two PDF manual as of today?
I don't see why would somebody prefer to download the zipped html help over the PDFs...

More
04 Apr 2017 20:18 #61183 by Moeder
I meant something like www.deviationtx.com/user-manual/en etc.

BTW: All Travis builds passed :side:

More
04 Apr 2017 20:35 #61184 by FDR
...and the PDFs are uploaded! B)

More
04 Apr 2017 20:35 - 04 Apr 2017 20:42 #61185 by Moeder
Looking pretty good! Except the file naming. But we can fix that.

edit: the files size differences between old and new pdfs are amazing...
Last edit: 04 Apr 2017 20:42 by Moeder.

More
04 Apr 2017 20:41 #61186 by FDR
As far as I understand, the translations in Transifex won't trigger a build, but only a commit to the repository.
Won't storing back the translations into GitHub during the build cause an infinite loop? :lol:

Time to create page: 0.084 seconds