Updating and internationalizing documentation

More
05 May 2017 15:40 #62036 by FDR
Ah, I see, that is still only your fork. (At least I hope it is a fork, not a simple copy....)
In your fork you could simply commit the changes directly, and after that create a pull request to the main deviationTx/deviation repository.
So now you can merge it, and create a pull request to deviation.

You can learn more about the docker environment here:
www.deviationtx.com/wiki/development/docker
Note, that since you have an own GitHub fork, you need to create the docker container pointing to your existing GitHub directory outside the docker...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 May 2017 17:14 #62039 by Morlacus
Replied by Morlacus on topic Updating and internationalizing documentation
Thanks again
Yes it is my fork and I have asked to merge the pull request.
Hope this is correct.

More
05 May 2017 18:43 #62042 by FDR
Almost.
You have merged your own pull request into your own repository, but you still need to create a new pull request to the deviationTx/deviation repository.

Just go to your repo, and click on the Pull request link on the upper right, under the buttons.
All the default values should be right, and the results would look like this:
github.com/DeviationTX/deviation/compare...er...Morlacus:master
Then click on the big green button to create the new pull request, and that's it...

More
05 May 2017 20:44 #62047 by FDR
@Moeder
What file naming convention do I need for the translated images?

More
05 May 2017 20:57 #62048 by Morlacus
FDR
1- Thanks for your help
I hope I did correctly for the french language update.

2- just seen your last post about translated images. Is it possible to change the images of the translated manual to provide images showing images of the TX using the language of the translation ?

More
06 May 2017 09:48 #62057 by FDR
Yes, now it is fine.
Goebish can check better if it is valid, and will merge it.

It is possible to use translated images, which I plan to make, but forgot how should I name them, so they can be recognized...

More
06 May 2017 18:52 #62066 by FDR
I've checked the file name convention for the translated images, it is:
<base_name>.<language>.<extension>

For example if the original filename is:
curve_deadband.png
...then your translated one should be named:
curve_deadband.fr.png

More
06 May 2017 23:04 #62076 by Moeder
Sorry for the late reply. Yes, this is the default behavior. We could also change it to look for translated images in subdirectories named by language if you think it is preferable.

More
07 May 2017 07:01 #62088 by Morlacus

Moeder wrote: Sorry for the late reply. Yes, this is the default behavior. We could also change it to look for translated images in subdirectories named by language if you think it is preferable.

I know I am not in charge but putting translated images in 'language' sub directory seems to me more practical and easy.

More
07 May 2017 08:39 #62090 by FDR
Despite I agree that the sub-directory structure is nicer, actually renaming them in the same directory was easier. I didn't need to copy or remember the file name when saved the new image, but selected the old one in the SaveAs dialog, and just added the language tag.
So far I've only uploaded a few, so I can easily change them to the subdir structure if you wish...

More
07 May 2017 20:23 #62115 by Moeder
I thought about this. Except for ch_model we already have quite a few directories with not too many files in it. Also, in keeping all languages in one directory, we can see at one glance which "picture internationalizations" are missing, and someone not firm in the language could easily create the necessary image using the emulator. If it was in a different subdirectory it would probably go unnoticed. I'd suggest sticking with the default behavior.

More
07 May 2017 20:29 #62116 by FDR
I'm glad you think this way, because I've just uploaded a bunch of translated Devo8 images. ;)
Now I'm translating the SVGs, then will continue with the B&W images.
Actually most of the SVGs are outdated, and so far I haven't tried to replace the image in them, only translated the text in the boxes...

More
08 May 2017 06:25 #62133 by Morlacus
I agree with this solution. As there are not many images in each image directory, this will help to compare and maintain images up to date.

More
09 May 2017 07:20 #62186 by Morlacus
I would be interested in adding french translated images. That would be good for the french manual. I suppose that the best way is to take them from the emulators and make png images. As concerns svg files I have for the moment no success in trying to edit one with inkscape on windows.

Once image are created and in the same format and size as the original ones, what would be the process to add them ?

More
09 May 2017 08:12 #62188 by FDR
Yes, the best way is to use the emulator, and reproduce the screen shown in the english version, then make a screenshot (Alt+PrintScreen). You will need an image editor to cut out the screen portion. I use Photoshop, because I can save the selection, and reapply for each new screenshot, but probably there are aother easy ways to do that.

Save as 8bit PNGs without transparency so save space, and name them as the original was, but with the added language tag, like this:
<original_name>.<language>.<extension>
For example:
model_menu.fr.png

To upload them there are more ways, just like in case of the language file were:

1. You can go into the image directory of the source, for example:
github.com/DeviationTX/deviation-manual/...es/devo8/ch_advanced
Then click on the "Upload file" button on the upper right, choose your files, gice a commit message (and a description if you like), choose the "Create a new branch for this commit and start a pull request." option, and press the "Commit changes" button.

2. If you have a GitHub fork of the deviation-manual repository, and an up-to-date local repository, then simply add the proper imager into the appropriate foldes, use "git add ." to include them, make a commit to your repo, push your changes back to your fork, and then make a pull request from there to the main deviationTx/deviation-manual repository.

The SVG files are harder. So far I only translated the additional texts in the boxes, which are simple XML content. You can use any editor (like notepad++) to edit them, and check the result in a browser.
So far I had no luck with the SVG editors, but I haven't yet gave up on them...

More
10 May 2017 20:49 #62221 by Morlacus
For info Inkscape on windows works for editing svg images.

More
19 May 2017 20:21 #62420 by FDR

Moeder wrote: In HTML builds, after make html-release the files en.zip, fr.zip etc. Are found in html-devo8 (or 10), each zip contains the subdirectory html-devo8-en and so on.

We can change the output process in Makefile if you prefer something else for the upload script.

@Moeder:
Could you change the name of the HTML zip files in the build script to match the directory name they contain?
So they would called like for example: html-devo8-en.zip

More
19 May 2017 21:14 #62421 by Moeder
github.com/DeviationTX/deviation-manual/pull/29

Didn't cross check though, did it on my mobile phone :P

More
19 May 2017 21:28 #62422 by FDR
Thanks!

More
20 May 2017 07:08 #62424 by Moeder
Seems to work very nice, congrats!

I still think we should make nicer pdf filenames.

Time to create page: 0.069 seconds