High contrast BW skin

• rbe2012
  • So much to do, so little time...
More
10 Oct 2013 06:24 #14407 by rbe2012
Replied by rbe2012 on topic High contrast BW skin
Test it out and report back!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Oct 2013 07:13 #14410 by FDR
Replied by FDR on topic High contrast BW skin
When I made this skin, I started to make an inversed too, but back then there was not enough configurable options to make it.
Some fonts didn't have color options, and the graphs missed a few too...

I should take a look again, but don't have much time nowadays...

More
10 Oct 2013 07:30 - 10 Oct 2013 07:30 #14412 by EduardS
Replied by EduardS on topic High contrast BW skin

FDR wrote: but don't have much time nowadays...

LOL, I know what that feels like ;)

If you or someone else finds the time anywhere in the future, please let us now. Until then I will use your BW skin and I thank you again for that (and for all the other marvelous work you have put into the Deviation project).
Last edit: 10 Oct 2013 07:30 by EduardS.

More
09 Nov 2013 22:30 #15480 by EduardS

rbe2012 wrote: Test it out and report back!

I'm almost finished with the skin, but I can't get the button monitor right; the checkboxes are black and stay that way when clicked on, the checkboxes of the datalog however change from black to white. Any idea why the checkboxes of the button monitor don't function? I have attached the media directory I have at the moment.
Attachments:

More
10 Nov 2013 12:17 #15489 by EduardS
My mistake, it works just fine.

More
10 Nov 2013 12:20 #15490 by FDR
Would you post some preview pictures?

More
10 Nov 2013 13:07 #15494 by EduardS
I have opened a new topic with screenshots.

More
26 Nov 2013 06:53 #15833 by henkerhaus
Replied by henkerhaus on topic High contrast BW skin
Hi,
I'm new to the forum, so some of my questions might seem rather basic.

I wanted to create my own custom skin / theme / icons, etc. I have reviewed the file system files, and I follow the syntax well enough to understand how to configure the colors for the various screen elements (and have made good progress in that regard), but I'm having trouble modifying the bitmap files. I searched and read a number of the articles / comments posted online, but I can't seem to find what the file specifications are for the .bmp files.

I'm using Photoshop Elements 9 in Mac OS X Mavericks. I opened the devo8.bmp file in Photoshop, modified the colors as I wanted and then saved the file as a .bmp, File Format=Windows, 16bit, A1 R5 G5 B5.
I copied the file to the transmitter file system and restarted the transmitter, but the the wallpaper image colors were all messed up. What am I missing (or unaware of)?

• rbe2012
  • So much to do, so little time...
More
26 Nov 2013 07:16 #15835 by rbe2012
Replied by rbe2012 on topic High contrast BW skin
Hi henkerhaus, welcome. It's good to see that you have read the manual and tried to help yourself before asking. So we don't need to point you to the documentation...

This is the way it works. I have no Mac and no experience with Photoshop but the file format you use looks correct. I use GIMP (with Windows and Linux) and exactly the same export format.
Are the colors shifted? Can you publish a picture how it looks originally and in the emulator (you can take screenshots there) and the picture you have downloaded to your tx? So we could have a look.
Take care about the dimensions. Depending on the deviation version you use (which one and which tx?) images with odd width are not drawn correctly.

More
26 Nov 2013 11:16 #15841 by henkerhaus
Never mind. I figured it out. .bmp, File Format=Windows, 16bit, R5 G5 B5.
(Enough trial and error can usually solve anything :)

More
26 Nov 2013 11:36 #15844 by FDR
Do you mean "Windows, 16bit, R5 G6 B5"?

Strange, because ARGB1555 should work too...

More
01 Dec 2013 21:17 - 01 Dec 2013 21:36 #16159 by henkerhaus
Hi. I wanted to say thanks to everyone for all the hard work that has gone into this project. This software has truly transformed the (already good) Devo hardware platform into just an awesome user experience.

Like many others, I really liked the style/color scheme of Gektor's GDevention version of the standard Devo 8s software. So, in gratitude, I have created a complete custom skin / layout for the Deviation 3.0.0 release, in a similar color scheme. (It's all done, except for new toggle icons).

i was planning on posting it as soon as I get the toggle buttons done, but I also wanted to post some screen shots along with the updated files, so people could see what it looks like. How do you generate screen shots of the radio interface? Do you just make mock-ups in Photoshop / Gimp, or is there a way to actually generate a screen shot from the radio?

Also, I wanted to create a custom colored version of the USB screen (in the same theme as the rest of the skin), but that screen graphic wasn't in the media folder. Is there a way to modify that screen graphic from the file system, or is it embedded in the firmware file?

If I could get a copy of that screen's graphic file, I would make up the new version, and post it with the rest of the files, for a future release of the firmware.
Last edit: 01 Dec 2013 21:36 by henkerhaus. Reason: clarification of final statement.

More
01 Dec 2013 21:34 #16161 by henkerhaus
Yes, you're correct (My previous post was a typo).

Windows, 16bit, R5 G6 B5, or Windows, 16bit, A1 R5 G5 B5 (with alpha masks).

I also figured out how to get the Alpha channel masks to work correctly with my version of Photoshop Elements. I did, however, run into a problem with graphic files sizes from Photoshop Elements. They were as much as 12x larger than the default graphics in the media folder, and I actually ran out of space on the transmitter.

I found that I could open the files from Photoshop in Gimp, and export them, without saving the color space, and that reduced the file sizes back down to the same sizes as the default graphics. I know that there was a bit of a debate here as to which tool is better... myself, i use them both as needed.

More
01 Dec 2013 23:46 - 01 Dec 2013 23:48 #16169 by WheresWaldo
Replied by WheresWaldo on topic High contrast BW skin
Easiest way it to use the emulator. Alt+PrintScreen will copy the current windows to the clipboard, then you can paste it into a new document in PSE. You'll have to crop it to remove all the non-screen elements that the emulator displays.

I use a mix of linux and windows and am always surprised that most linux people insist on linux only tools.
Last edit: 01 Dec 2013 23:48 by WheresWaldo.

More
02 Dec 2013 00:26 #16171 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic High contrast BW skin
Gimp (and Open Office) aren't 'Linux' tools. I use both on Windows (only). They are in my opinion inferior to Phostoshop and Word respectively, but they are also open-source. Such is life some times. As I said elsewhere, I only document working with open-source tools so that I'm sure anyone with the motivation can work on the project.

More
02 Dec 2013 05:27 #16178 by FDR
I think the USB screen is built in...

More
02 Dec 2013 05:40 #16179 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic High contrast BW skin
Yes, the usb screen has to be available without a filesystem present so we need to have it built-in.

Time to create page: 0.048 seconds