How to upgrade Devo TX to Deviation Firmware

More
26 Jul 2013 07:31 - 26 Jul 2013 07:32 #12504 by RandMental
Replied by RandMental on topic How to upgrade Devo TX to Deviation Firmware
Dear Consta, best place to start is with the User manual www.deviationtx.com/user-manual/user-manual-2

You can install the official V3.0.0, or the latest development version (Beta Version) from the nightly builds section.

www.deviationtx.com/repository/Deviation-Releases/

If you get stuck, just ask again. :)
Last edit: 26 Jul 2013 07:32 by RandMental.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jul 2013 14:49 #12527 by consta
ok, I'll start working on my update of my radio and if I have problems, I hope your help and thanks for answering my question RandMental.

consta

More
31 Aug 2013 04:57 #13404 by flightly
Replied by flightly on topic How to upgrade Devo TX to Deviation Firmware
Hello there, requesting help upgrading my devo 6s!!

I've done a fair amount of reading on the forum, as well as watching those few youtube tutorials. I can't find out which filesystem I'm supposed download from the file repository.

Someone said a while back (as in before 3.0.0 was released) that using either the 2.1.0 or 2.1.1 filesystem for the Devo8 would be fine.

3.0.0 was released a few months after that person made that post. Is that advice still valid? Or do I download the Devo8 3.0.0 filesystem for my Devo6s?

Thank you much, I've come a long way since discovering deviation...I run a mac, so I had a lot of research to do on different options for running Windows on a Mac machine. And that was just so I'd be able to run the right upgrade software. Therefore, I'd be immensely grateful for any help or advice.

More
31 Aug 2013 06:08 #13405 by vlad_vy
Replied by vlad_vy on topic How to upgrade Devo TX to Deviation Firmware
You have to use the same version of filesystem as release version. And, for Devo6 you can use Devo8 filesystem.

More
02 Sep 2013 02:56 - 02 Sep 2013 02:59 #13467 by flightly
Thank you very much vlad.

Now I'm not sure which firmware upgrade I need from Walkera's website.

-DEVO 6S 100mw release.....V0.7A/0.3
-DEVO 6/6S 10mw release.....V0.7B/0.3

In the "About" section of my transmitter, it says:

-Hardware: Ver. 1.0
-Software: Ver. 0.6A
-Library: Ver. 0.3

I'm guessing that I need the 100mw release? Is that right? I'm new to this, but am I right in saying the mw value correlates to the transmission output power? Isn't there a "Power Amplifier" menu on Devos that allow one to set the output from +20 dBm to -5 dBm, in increments of 5 dBm? Can anyone explain these two?

EDIT: additionally, the FCC ID on the back of the transmitter reads: S29DEVO6.
Last edit: 02 Sep 2013 02:59 by flightly.

More
02 Sep 2013 04:25 #13472 by vlad_vy
-DEVO 6S 100mw release.....V0.7A/0.3

There 2 versions Devention firmware - 'A' (100mW) and 'B' (10mW). With B (10mW) firmware you can't select max power levels.

More
02 Sep 2013 06:49 #13473 by flightly
Thanks again vlad.

Nearly there. This one might be a little tricky. I'm using Parallels with Windows 7 64 bit, and when I hold EXT while turning the transmitter on, the dfuse software doesn't detect it. I've tried dfuse 1.5 and 1.7 to no avail.

Is there something I'm missing? Drivers maybe? Stuck :(

More
02 Sep 2013 06:57 - 02 Sep 2013 06:58 #13476 by sbstnp
Not sure about Parallels but Vmware Fusion asks if it should connect the USB device to the virtual machine or let my OSX handle it. You should check the VM settings see if you can pass through an USB device over to the VM.

You can flash Deviation directly on the mac from the command line, but the USB drive needs to be formatted under Windows - dunno why, couldn't get it to work with both Linux or OSX, though I never messed around with formatting parameters, so maybe there's a way I don't know.

Edit:
Read this maybe it will help:
download.parallels.com/desktop/v5/docs/e...sers_Guide/26819.htm

flightly wrote: Thanks again vlad.

Nearly there. This one might be a little tricky. I'm using Parallels with Windows 7 64 bit, and when I hold EXT while turning the transmitter on, the dfuse software doesn't detect it. I've tried dfuse 1.5 and 1.7 to no avail.

Is there something I'm missing? Drivers maybe? Stuck :(

Devo 10 + 4in1
Spektrum Dx9
FrSky Taranis + TBS Crossfire
Last edit: 02 Sep 2013 06:58 by sbstnp.

More
02 Sep 2013 07:21 - 02 Sep 2013 07:22 #13478 by vlad_vy
FAT16 filesystem

sudo mkfs.msdos /dev/sdb

sudo mkdosfs /dev/sdb
Last edit: 02 Sep 2013 07:22 by vlad_vy.

More
02 Sep 2013 08:58 #13479 by flightly
From Parallels' preferences menu, under the USB tab, I have it set to "Ask me what to do". Still won't play ball.

I don't want to have to ask to borrow someone's windows machine...I know I'd be hesitant to let other people install software on my personal machine. It just may come to that.

More
02 Sep 2013 09:03 - 02 Sep 2013 09:04 #13480 by FDR

flightly wrote: ...when I hold EXT while turning the transmitter on, the dfuse software doesn't detect it. I've tried dfuse 1.5 and 1.7 to no avail.

It's not the DfuSe, which detects the new USB drive, but the Windows should.
Actually you should close the DfuSe, or at least leave the DFU mode by then...

EDIT: ...and only if you installed deviation. The stock fw doesn't have USB mode...
Last edit: 02 Sep 2013 09:04 by FDR.

• rbe2012
  • So much to do, so little time...
More
02 Sep 2013 10:33 #13483 by rbe2012
Replied by rbe2012 on topic How to upgrade Devo TX to Deviation Firmware
Isn't there any message that Mac OS detects a new USB drive? If so, vlad's hint will help you.
In the second step you have to tell your virtualization software (Parallels in your case, but this is true for VMware and this Oracle tool too) that the device should not be handles by the virtualization host (your Mac OS) but by the virtual machine (Windows).

But if you are not so far (still deviation not installed) neither MAC nor Windows will recognize an USB drive. When I have understood your problem correctly, dFuse does not recognize that there is an STM device (your tx) that could be flashed.
When you connect the tx (with EXT pressed to get the tx on dfuse mode) to the MAC there should be a message which tells you about the newly connected device. If you don't see this, try "lsusb" on a command line when the tx is plugged in and again when not and compare the two outputs. There should be an additional line when the tx is plugged in (I don't remember for sure, but should contain STM32).
If you see this, try to give this device to your Windows machine and start dFuse. I have done the same with an OpenSuSE Linux and a virtual Windows XP machine via VMware Workstation and it works.
If your Windows machine is a newer version: there are some problems reported with Win7 64bit (use the forum search for hints).

More
03 Sep 2013 02:38 #13509 by flightly
I actually have not upgraded the walkera firmware NOR installed deviation. The transmitter is currently all stock.

rbe2012, you are correct.

- neither mac nor windows recognizes a USB device (no "recognized new hardware" popup, no opportunity to point it to the correct drivers folder.
- dfuse does not recognize an STM device in DFU mode.

I have also tried to manually copy the x64 driver file, "STTub30.sys" to C:/Windows/System32/drivers

I tried "lsusb" on the command prompt, but it just says "'lsusb' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."

More
27 Sep 2013 01:38 #14082 by hsy77101
Replied by hsy77101 on topic How to upgrade Devo TX to Deviation Firmware
When I was trying, I found to need STM32 DFU on windows 7 .
Where can I get it? I have no idea. Please.

More
27 Sep 2013 03:28 - 27 Sep 2013 03:29 #14087 by vlad_vy
How to upgrade the Devo 8S firmware? See next image.

image.helipal.com/helipal-devo8-update-firmware-big-1.jpg
Last edit: 27 Sep 2013 03:29 by vlad_vy.

More
14 Dec 2013 18:50 - 14 Dec 2013 22:54 #16628 by 9v1zh

Scott45044 wrote: Thank you for the video. My new Devo 8S was waiting for me when I got home from work. I watched the video and updated to the 2.1 firmware with no problems. It was a piece of cake!! Played with the settings and bound to a new Devo802 receiver. This video made it super easy!! Thanks

Hi Tom,
I am a newbie here. I tried to upgrade my 8s V1.0A with 2.0.0.0 but was unsuccessful. Then I tried V3.0.0.0 but there is a warning that it will not work with 8s 1.0A. Is there are version of the Deviation that will work for the 8s 1.0A?
My 8s is now back to the factory firmware.

Thanks in advance.
Last edit: 14 Dec 2013 22:54 by 9v1zh.

More
14 Dec 2013 18:54 #16629 by FDR
At the moment you can only use the nightly builds for that:
www.deviationtx.com/repository/Deviation...ases/Nightly-Builds/

More
14 Dec 2013 20:52 #16636 by domcars0
Replied by domcars0 on topic How to upgrade Devo TX to Deviation Firmware
Hi,
FDR I think that the home page warning shoud be:
WARNING: The 3.0.0 (and before) releases of Deviation will not work on recent Devo8 transmitters (labeled as 1.0A or 1.0B). It is necessary to use the nightly builds of Deviation for these transmitters

Devo 10 (+7e) owner. It's mine, please don't touch it with your big fingers :angry:

More
14 Dec 2013 20:56 #16639 by FDR
Probably.
But for me it seems logical, that if the latest release doesn't yet support something, then the older ones don't do that either...

More
14 Dec 2013 21:26 #16641 by domcars0
Replied by domcars0 on topic How to upgrade Devo TX to Deviation Firmware
That is logical for me too, but I know many people who tried to install V2.x on there 8S Label 1.0A/B :huh:

Devo 10 (+7e) owner. It's mine, please don't touch it with your big fingers :angry:

Time to create page: 0.077 seconds