The New Hubsans

More
12 Nov 2015 03:21 #39960 by Nuggetz
The New Hubsans was created by Nuggetz
While browsing around amazon.com I noticed that they now carry the new hubsan plus models. Since I have Hubsan X4's to thank for getting me into this hobby I couldn't resist picking up the latest and greatest camera model. I was eager to give their new altitude hold feature a try. Anyway, this is an interesting quad. The smoothest flying mini I've ever played with. Unfortunately since they are trying to mimic larger camera drones in a small package I had a few crashes. First off the throttle on the new controller has a center spring which makes sense since there's an altitude hold feature now but in practice it is very annoying to fly if you expect to be able to whip it around like the older Hubsans.

Protocol is definitely different as I couldn't bind my Devo to it. The camera can be controlled from the 2 shoulder buttons now which is nice. It is a wider angle than the older version . The video quality is super stable but seems blurrier than usual when compared to the old 107C.

Anyway, just wondering if this is on anyone's radar to analyze. I attempted to put the guts of my old 107C into this new body as I had a bad motor and it went nuts. I gave it some throttle and it kept flipping. I have a feeling I may have wired one of the motors incorrectly but after a couple of tries trying to get it off the ground I could no.longer get the motors to spin. Not sure if I fried the board or not. Main reason for attempting this was due to the body being so nice. Howeve,I the proprietary battery is bad news. I couldn't find a dedicated charger so the only option is to charge it while it's in the quad. Theres a micro usb port on the side.

The rates on the new quad are already set to max in expert mode and have very shallow angles. It might be easy to fly if you've never touched a quad before and would make a super stable video setup but I did not like the way it handles. You need two hands to cut off the motors. Might be able to do it with just the throttle but the response is very slow. Tried catching it in my hand and it sliced me up boy. IFeels sort of like pushing a pro camera quad while it's in loiter mode.

I think this would be an interesting protocol to hack. I'm determined to fit the body with alternate innards so I can use my huge collection of batteries. Quad has a super clean look. Battery is attached to the back door that snaps on and I managed to remove the door and fit the normal batteries in the body just fine. Shame my first mod attempt failed.

Search amazon for Hubsan 107c plus.

If this has already been posted then please feel free to move this post and call me an idiot.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Nov 2015 15:09 #40115 by Nuggetz
Replied by Nuggetz on topic The New Hubsans
If anyone is interested in figuring out this new version I would be willing to send them the FC. I removed it and put some old Hubsan guts in the new body. I would like the board back but if someone wanted to scope the board to see what could be done with it then I'd be willing to loan it out for the sake of protocol development.

More
16 Nov 2015 16:53 #40117 by Deal57
Replied by Deal57 on topic The New Hubsans
The protocol analysis starts at the TX end, so we usually get the protocol dump from there. We can't take it from the FC without the appropriate TX to bind and control.

We can determine the radio set... which is likely A7105, since your note implies that you got some movement. If you post a detailed, close-up photo of the inside of the TX and one of the FC we'll have a place to start.

Deviation Devo7e 3way switch mod, A7105, NRF24L01
Devo6s 2x2 switch mod, trim mod, haptic, multimodule, A7105, NRF24L01, CC2500
Devo12e 4-in-1 with voice mod -- it speaks!!

More
16 Nov 2015 23:39 - 16 Nov 2015 23:41 #40125 by Nuggetz
I have more pics but need to resize. I see the A7105 chip on the transmitter. I could NOT get it to bind with my Devo tho. Will add more later.

Attachments:
Last edit: 16 Nov 2015 23:41 by Nuggetz.

More
17 Nov 2015 00:19 #40127 by Deal57
Yeah, definitely an A7105. There are three lines we need to be able to monitor plus ground. The SCS, SCK and SDIO are the main ones, and they're all on the bottom set of pins in this photo. From left to right it is SCS, SCK, DVDD, SDIO and GND. These are very difficult to connect to since you don't have any big connectors between the A7105 and the main processor (the rectangle with a lot of legs in the lower left. If it was me I'd try to connect to the main processor since we get all three lines (SCS, SCK and SDIO, pins 6, 5 and 3) and there is a little bit of real estate to work with. Then we just need a good place to get a ground. Very tiny stuff!

If the protocol isn't dead on it won't bind. Most manufacturers seem to be increasing the functionality of their protocols to accommodate RTH, Loiter, Headless, and other more sophisticated modes, along with video controls. The good news is we have some really awesome developers who know the A7105... so the first step is to get the protocol captures.

Do you have the tools to do this? I would be able to do the captures if I had the TX and FC here (I'm in Florida). If you update your profile with your location there may be someone closer who can do this.

Attachments:

More
17 Nov 2015 01:29 - 17 Nov 2015 03:12 #40128 by Nuggetz
I certainly don't have the tools to do this. I can send you the controller and Fc if you would be able to send them back. Spent 100 bucks on this hubsan model so I would like it back.

Here's what the board looks like.

I wonder why there's access to these pins in the battery compartment?

I live in Chicago
Attachments:
Last edit: 17 Nov 2015 03:12 by Nuggetz.

More
17 Nov 2015 04:28 #40133 by Deal57
Interesting. Of course I would be happy to send it back after I look it over. That FC looks like it has some interesting features so I've been reading up on RGC. I'll pm you tomorrow.

More
17 Nov 2015 05:12 #40138 by Nuggetz
Sure thing. Sounds good. Please share any links to any good threads about this model. Apparently banggood doesn't carry them yet and I just happened to notice them on Amazon while browsing around so I impulse bought it :-) Haven't come across any threads where enough people are really discussing it. Only had 2 review on Amazon last time I looked so I would think not a lot of people have it.
Body doesn't fly as good with a regular Hubsan FC in it or it could just be my imagination. Maybe the Alt hold feature gives the impression that its smoother than it really is.

I really hope there's a way to perhaps toggle the Alt hold feature on and off and do something about the less than stellar rudder rates. Maybe even the way throttle is applied too as youj currently have to either arrange both sticks down and opposite to each other to start the motors or move the throttle up past 50% I think. With regard to the proprietary battery which has 3 pins on it, would the 3rd pin be used for data or something?

More
17 Nov 2015 16:29 - 17 Nov 2015 16:30 #40154 by Deal57
Apparently you are one of the first to get this model! I searched RCG and Google for the Plus line and even though Hubsan announced in January, they are just now beginning to get them delivered, and in limited numbers.

RCG has two threads, here and here with photos of the H107D+ model, and the FC looks the same as yours. The TX would be so much easier to get captures since they actually have solder pads for the SDI signals!

It would be ideal to have the FPV TX to do this...

Last edit: 17 Nov 2015 16:30 by Deal57. Reason: Fix URLs

More
22 Nov 2015 10:35 - 22 Nov 2015 12:51 #40292 by goebish
Replied by goebish on topic The New Hubsans
Hi,

I'd be interested to have a look at that.
I don't want you to send me your tx/rx, but only a few logic captures of the spi bus inside the tx (sent you a PM, or maybe Deal57 could do that ?), can you take a few pictures of the top and bottom of the tx pcb please ? I wouldn't be surprised if there's big pads for spi on the back, near the LCD connector ;)
Last edit: 22 Nov 2015 12:51 by goebish.

More
22 Nov 2015 10:46 - 22 Nov 2015 10:58 #40293 by goebish
I'm very surprised that they changed the protocol, the "old" one still had room for extra features and already had telemetry.

... and if I remember well, someone from the Hubsan company told us that new aircrafts would be compatible with old radios (that was ~2 years ago)
Last edit: 22 Nov 2015 10:58 by goebish.

More
24 Nov 2015 17:57 #40340 by AndyRC
Replied by AndyRC on topic The New Hubsans
Hey its AndyRC here from youtube. I have the H107D plus If I can help getting this hacked ;) fill me in on what i need

thanks

More
24 Nov 2015 18:13 #40341 by AndyRC
as per rc groups thread I got the logic analyzer on the way and grabbers

More
24 Nov 2015 18:15 #40342 by goebish
Cool, once you get it post a few pictures of the tx pcb (front & back), so we can see where is the simplest place to solder probes.

More
24 Nov 2015 18:17 #40343 by AndyRC
will do just have to wait for it from china :( just built my devo ready so this is good timing!

More
24 Nov 2015 18:18 #40345 by goebish
No hurry, and thanks for helping !

More
27 Nov 2015 01:58 - 27 Nov 2015 01:59 #40420 by Nuggetz
Here are some pics of the 107C plus RX. Not the FPV version. If anyone needs a close up of any given section let me know. Anyone know what the 4 breakout pins are on the back? There's a cutout behind the batteries that give access to those 4 pins.

drive.google.com/file/d/0B4k5M6XaMBGXSkJ...MWM/view?usp=sharing
drive.google.com/file/d/0B4k5M6XaMBGXRFp...cGc/view?usp=sharing
Last edit: 27 Nov 2015 01:59 by Nuggetz.

More
27 Nov 2015 06:36 - 27 Nov 2015 06:38 #40423 by bangkomit
Replied by bangkomit on topic The New Hubsans
these are the H107D+ TX board photos taken from rcgroups :

Last edit: 27 Nov 2015 06:38 by bangkomit.

More
27 Nov 2015 08:33 - 27 Nov 2015 09:54 #40424 by goebish
Thanks bangkomit,
Here's where to connect the logic analyzer probes on this radio:

Connect SDIO to Ch1 on analyzer
SCK to Ch3
SCS to Ch4
Gnd to Gnd
Last edit: 27 Nov 2015 09:54 by goebish.

More
27 Nov 2015 08:41 - 27 Nov 2015 15:28 #40425 by goebish
@Nuggetz, can you try to trace those pads to their corresponding pins on the A7105 chip with a multimeter ? (Deal57 has posted its pinout)

We need SCS, SCK and SDIO.
Last edit: 27 Nov 2015 15:28 by goebish.

Time to create page: 0.183 seconds