Single-Board Universal Module

More
06 Apr 2015 13:09 #30837 by mpicpu
Replied by mpicpu on topic Single-Board Banggood Module Question
From Banggood
www.banggood.com/Conversion-Tuner-Module...-PALNA-p-945968.html

Could someone tell me if this is actually a universal Module, the ad states
A7105: WLtoys 939/959 RC Quadcopters,V911, F929/939 RC Airplane; Hubble X4/Q4 RC Quadcopter; SH 6050 and so on,all use FLYSKY agreement;

CC2500: Skyartec NANO CP/250 v3, and so on all use Skyartc agreement

NRF24LE1: Hisky FBL80/100, WLtoys V922/V977, HP100

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Apr 2015 13:54 #30839 by SadSack
Replied by SadSack on topic Single-Board Banggood Module Question
just one of three modules needed. Very poor description on banggood end.

More
06 Apr 2015 13:59 #30840 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Single-Board Banggood Module Question
Moss: Thanks for the links. I wanted the 3G module when I got my RFExplorer, but they couldn't be had at that time. I've ordered one now.

I am confident in the code, since (a) i can see the LNA_PA pin toggling which only happens during transmission, and (b) the same code works fine on the 1st 2 modules I built. Since the circuit hasn't changed, the problem is very likely on the physical side.

mpicpu: That is just an NRF module. the description is just generic for all the different modules, it dos notmean that the module you listed can actually support all those models.

More
06 Apr 2015 22:09 #30853 by octagon
Replied by octagon on topic Single-Board Universal Module
Are you measuring RF from the nRF at the U.FL connector or at the output NRF pins?
Do you have a test program to put it into steady RF out for ease of measuring?

More
07 Apr 2015 01:37 #30858 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Single-Board Universal Module
I've checked both the U.FL as well as right at the NRF output. I'm comparing it to a working module, so I know where I should see a signal and don't. And yes, I have a test app that runs a specific frequency through a specific chip. I'm not too concerned about this since I know the circuit functions properly. I'd just like to get this module functional since (a) they're pretty expensive, and (b) I have a bunch of transmitters I'd like to install them in.

More
08 Apr 2015 00:38 - 08 Apr 2015 00:54 #30897 by octagon
sorry for suggesting the obvious.
You have probably already considered re-flowing parts around the chip with a little hot air gun and replacing the nRF chip.
Last edit: 08 Apr 2015 00:54 by octagon.

More
09 Apr 2015 03:31 #30921 by PhracturedBlue
I got my upgrade board for my RF Explorer today. Easy enough to install. I probably won't get to checking out my NRF chip with it tonight though The stock 2.4GHz board just uses a CC2500 to capture the signal. We already had something similar for the CYRF chip, but I guess the key is having it calibrated so you know what the actual (rather than relative) signal strength is. The new board is much wider band should meet all my needs unless I go 5.8GHz some day.

More
11 Apr 2015 15:35 - 11 Apr 2015 15:41 #31043 by PhracturedBlue
Here is the 0.9.4 board which I am planning to order. Assuming the DC/DC works well, this could be the final iteration:
oshpark.com/shared_projects/PNfiUaYx
Last edit: 11 Apr 2015 15:41 by PhracturedBlue.

More
12 Apr 2015 03:41 - 12 Apr 2015 04:11 #31072 by octagon
Don't like "teardrops.ulp"?
With thin traces there is a chance for "necking" next to the pads, a little more meat around the pads don't hurt. They are a PITA to remove so only add them in a last step before ordering the board.
electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/...eardrops-on-pcb-pads
I as well had to deal with a quality issue on polyimide boards that broke around the pad where a teardrop would have helped.

I left a suggestion to separate the dc/dc switcher coil and the output filter to the max( ~4.32mm) , to reduce any inductive coupling between the filter and the switcher coil. Perhaps not necessary?

Did you get that nRF chip working?
Last edit: 12 Apr 2015 04:11 by octagon.

More
12 Apr 2015 14:11 - 12 Apr 2015 14:14 #31103 by PhracturedBlue
teardrops.ulp makes a mess of the board, trying to do hem 1-by-1 would be really tedious, and I haven'y had an issues with the 3 prior iterations I ran through Oshpark. I decided not to re-layout the board to separate the inductors, I don't think there will be much coupling with them 90-degrees, and if there is, I'll switch to a shielded inductor.. I haven't had a chance to play with the NRF chip yet.

Thanks for all the help you, Fernandez, moss, and SadSack provided. I really value the experience you guys have, and I think the board design is much better because of it.
Last edit: 12 Apr 2015 14:14 by PhracturedBlue.

More
12 Apr 2015 22:12 #31121 by Fernandez
Replied by Fernandez on topic Single-Board Universal Module
I have used: www.makepcb.com/ in the past they are the cheapest I could find at the time.
I normally select the thickest copper option, with gold plate and in black pcb, I think canĀ“t be beaten!
You can easily calculates cost normally price drops exponentially.

If you need a few prototypes, I used eurocircuits.com/
They have very nice user web interface, they even do some automated checks for you, point out problems give some remarks and you have a lot of viewing tools, and you can "camera inspect" the pcb upfront before it is build. Pretty nice !!

More
16 Apr 2015 15:58 #31246 by PhracturedBlue
I've been thinking about this some more, and I may have a way by which I'd feel comfortable selling these. If I remove the serial capabilities of the module, it becomes a smart-switch with 4 RF chips. My reading of the FCC rules indicates that this would be considered a sub-assembly and would not require FCC licensing. Of course that means you would need a 2nd board to do PPM->SPI (which would have all the protocol logic in it), which would drive up the cost for non-devo users. It also means another redesign of this board. However, it would also reduce the cost of this board somewhat as we could use a simpler power solution (I'd still keep the DC/DC converter on-board and probably add an output pin so the board can serve as a 3.3V supply). I'd remove the PPM, bluetooth, and USB connectors (USB would still have a header to allow for programming, but since reprogramming would be uncommon, we don't need an expensive mini-usb connector).

Having a 2nd board for PPM->SPI would mean we now have more space, for other functionality too on the daughter board.

More
16 Apr 2015 18:54 - 28 Jun 2015 14:37 #31255 by RedSleds
Replied by RedSleds on topic Single-Board Universal Module
n/m :)

DEVO 10 - Multi-module with nRF24L01 +PA +LNA, A7105 +PA, & CC2500 +PA +LNA transceivers.
Nightly Build: v4.0.1-548bbf5 (6/9/2015)
Last edit: 28 Jun 2015 14:37 by RedSleds.

More
16 Apr 2015 22:16 - 16 Apr 2015 22:24 #31262 by Wene001
Replied by Wene001 on topic Single-Board Universal Module
...removing Bluetooth connector....
It would be nice to have Voice and Vibration support via Smartphone for us Devo users....
and other Gimmicks :-)
Any Chance to keep the bluetooth support for us Devo users??
hmmmm BTW: is it possible to integrate support for a vibration motor ?
Last edit: 16 Apr 2015 22:24 by Wene001.

More
18 Apr 2015 16:55 - 18 Apr 2015 17:00 #31334 by blackmoon
Replied by blackmoon on topic Single-Board Universal Module

PhracturedBlue wrote: I've been thinking about this some more, and I may have a way by which I'd feel comfortable selling these. If I remove the serial capabilities of the module, it becomes a smart-switch with 4 RF chips.

In others words this would become MultiModule 2.0 ?

If it is, and sold mounted, I'm all hears, because I never could make the MM work on my DeVo7E (maybe this was solved don't know as I gave up).
Last edit: 18 Apr 2015 17:00 by blackmoon.

More
20 Apr 2015 04:05 #31398 by PhracturedBlue
Right, the impact for Walkera radios would be negligible (the module already functions as a MultiMod 2.0 for Devo tranmitters). It is the PPM folks who would need a separate board. this is really a backup though. I'm going to investigate getting the current boards built 1st.

I've been thinking about whether the bluetooth module can be used when mounted in a Walker radio. It will require careful timing as we'll need to multiplex the info messages with the protocol data on the SPI bus. That wouldn't be so hard, but we need to make it work with all protocols, each of which has different timings. I won't remove the bluetooth if there is any chance we can get it working. Talking with SadSack, an alternative to bluetooth is WiFi. The ESP8266 wifi chip works a lot like a bluetooth board but can be had in a 10mmx10mm board, and is much cheaper at only ~$3. I've done some initial experimentation with these, and one benefit is that it will reliably work with all Smartphones (the bluetooth solution I have now requires a $15 module to work with iPhone and is still untested). The downside is that it may be tricky to setup since we need to run the ESP8266 in AP mode. For testing, it can connect using the bluetooth pins so I can play with it with the existing boards.

More
20 Apr 2015 06:52 #31403 by Wene001
Replied by Wene001 on topic Single-Board Universal Module
i would prefer bluetooth if possible. Otherwise you have to choose the Wlan AP point every time you are using the connection nearby an internet-accesspoint. I own some gimmicks connecting over Wlan,and its not comfortable.

More
20 Apr 2015 07:00 - 20 Apr 2015 08:13 #31404 by midelic
Replied by midelic on topic Single-Board Universal Module
Do you need special bluetooth to work with Iphone?I have HC-05 talking with my Android tablet without problem.
And is also cheap 3.22 USD.
www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksi...&_nkw=HC-05&_sacat=0
Another important issue ESP8266 draw 100-200mA it can connect to wifi 500m away .Bluetooth consumption is 8mA..low power will keep you battery much much longer time.
Last edit: 20 Apr 2015 08:13 by midelic.

More
20 Apr 2015 13:04 #31412 by PhracturedBlue
The HC-05 is fine for Android, but i think you need BTLE for iPhone, and they are more pricey (HC-11 and HC-12 I think). Anyhow, one thing at a time.

More
20 Apr 2015 15:18 #31425 by Daryoon
Replied by Daryoon on topic Single-Board Universal Module
This MultiWii IOS app developer ran into the same issue with highly priced BTLE modules. Eventually, the HM-10 was made to work with it. They are about $6.

www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2019937&page=3

Time to create page: 0.099 seconds