Single-Board Universal Module

More
20 Apr 2015 17:24 - 20 Apr 2015 17:27 #31429 by SadSack
Replied by SadSack on topic Single-Board Universal Module
Or....

Size is good and simple solder, connected! 3.3>6 volts :-)

Splitting pcb up would fit with my ideas! Still as it is really want one for my FG12.
Also size could stay the same but deeper and 4 layer RF would be smaller (cheaper) and rest could be 2 Layer pcb. Maybe even Arduino style shield!.....

£8.00 so cheap and extra pins :woohoo:
Once STLink is removed Board is 64x64mm and have StLink .

So all in yeah I'm up for it....what next ?
Attachments:
Last edit: 20 Apr 2015 17:27 by SadSack.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Apr 2015 17:32 #31431 by SadSack
www.aliexpress.com/item/2pcs-RF2541P-blu...541/32214896680.html

Links a little confusing. Say's 2 but price is for 4 piece Lot @ $16.20 US $4.05 / piece

More
26 Apr 2015 02:41 #31628 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Single-Board Universal Module
I got the 0.9.4 boards in. I finished my pick-and-place machine, and used it to build the bottom of the board. It will take me some practice to get fast at using it, but it is a lot less stressful to align and place the part. at the moment it probably takes me about the same time per part, but it is a lot easier. I need to verify the 3.3V regulator is working well before I build the top of the board. Also, I need to sort all the parts I ordered from Digikey, which takes just as long as actually building the board. Hopefully I'll get it finished tomorrow.

More
26 Apr 2015 09:56 #31638 by SadSack
How would you fancy adding steppers to your P&P?....
I found opensource cnc router/paste/pick&place and does manual x,y to x,y pick&place.
Software works with any USB/gcode hardware.
cirqwizard.org/
github.com/simonsalykov/cirqwizard
I've got this on the way..

www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shipping-SM...-not/1915894898.html
and

www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-1p...ity/32247884705.html <<<<very very fast shipping to UK 7 Days!

More
26 Apr 2015 12:56 #31641 by PhracturedBlue
if I were to motorize my machine, it would only be to add a joystick like control. The hard part of automated p&p is (a) managing the parts tray, (b) determining if you have a part, (c) determining its orientation. The platform is the easy part.

Anyhow, bad news: the 3.3V regulator isn't working. I think it is a soldering problem (visually it doesn't appear most of the pads are soldered). Unfortunately I also learned that my hot-air gun is no longer heating. So I now need to see if that can be repaired 1st.

More
26 Apr 2015 13:29 #31642 by SadSack
That's bad news, guessing why I got a spare heating element with mine.
Maybe only a break in element?!

cirqwizard runs on Linux. I've installed it runs ok and P&P is simple affair parts here put it there interface.
My thought was make plate for each value either ali or pcb ( could pour parts to fill plate). With parts put in given place so you have right number of parts and angle set for placement. Then (for you) just use x/y axis then you control z axis and pump. Eagle can give out all the placement code needed. Would need to edited code to mix Part place to PCB position. This will always need manual touch which is fine for me. This is just bonus feature all said and done, mill is what I want most.

More
27 Apr 2015 04:42 #31689 by PhracturedBlue
Completely off topic but I have all the parts to build an FLA-100 mill lying around. Just need to find the time to build it. I have several 3d control boards as well. Not sure which I'll ebd up using for that project.

As far as the UniversalTx goes....My hot-air gun seems to have bigger issues than the heating element. I had a spare, but that isn't the issue (also, it turns out the glass insulator was shattered, so I couldn't safely put it back togather after disassembly anyhow. I opened up the cheap 2-in-1 I've been using for years, and don't see anything obvious on the board. With multiple issues, it isn't worth my time t try to fix it. So I just ordered a new cheap chinese 2-in-1 to replace it. If it lasts as long as this one, I'll be happy. Hopefully I'll be up and running later this week.

More
27 Apr 2015 14:52 #31698 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Single-Board Universal Module
www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-Model-1400-Heat-Gun/dp/B002T9226U
I have used this to re-flow individual parts on a board, with added local heat from a soldering iron to pick off individual components. It works reasonably well for rework.

On the DC/DC converter you could remove the output series filter coil to remove the load, to make sure the converter is working, and you don't have some short on the 3.3V rail. An DMM resistance check 3.3V to ground would also work.

More
27 Apr 2015 16:12 #31703 by PhracturedBlue
I prefer having a proper rework station with adjustable air flow and temperature. As I said, it is already ordered and should be here this week. I already checked the board for power/ground shorts before assembling it.

More
27 Apr 2015 16:30 #31705 by mpicpu
Replied by mpicpu on topic Single-Board Universal Module
Just wondering if there a parts list available for the single-board project yet

More
27 Apr 2015 16:50 #31708 by PhracturedBlue
parts list is built into the schematics.
open the schematics, and type the following into the entry box:
run bom-xs
(you may need to add the ulp path to make this work. the bom-xs is in the hg repo in the ULP/ subdir)
I have part numbers from Digikey and Mouser (only the Digikey ones have ever been used though). The RF chips are much cheaper from china (and some are only available there)

More
28 Apr 2015 12:50 #31736 by Fernandez
Replied by Fernandez on topic Single-Board Universal Module
It is nice as a hobbyist to spend time in assembing and build pick and place machines etc etc, but it won't be efficient, rather than nice for small qty and testing etc.

I beleive if prototype universal module is ready tested working (ppm should be also in the module....) would be best to check hobbyking or some other manufacturar, rc timer, dys, etc etc try to let them manufacture the hardware to sell it, products are so quick on the market and at so low margins, impossibly to come close..... (maybe some people have conections here on the forum?)
This universal module, could make a lot of Tx modules obsolete = less sales., so some manufaturar might not be interested.

To bring deviation TX really to the mass, it should run on a widely available platform easy to buy, "ARM module/board + display module" with plenty of Memory, IO and fatures, future proof. This can be set into or on top of any transmitter, just connecting switches and pots........

More
29 Apr 2015 15:16 #31803 by moss
www.avspares.com/parts/search?parts=ML2730
One of the problems with the ML2730 as I recall is obtaining them can be challenging.

More
29 Apr 2015 15:21 #31804 by PhracturedBlue
the other problem is that it requires a separate baseband chip which makes developing for it more difficult.

More
29 Apr 2015 16:01 - 29 Apr 2015 17:16 #31808 by moss
hopefully FASST will soon vanish. DJI dropped FASST in their new products. Parts availability is critical, and while FASST is a good protocol, newer products have obsoleted it. The slight advantage of 36 hops each 1.5MHz wide is not a killer. ETSI regulations may require adaptive frequency use to minimize interference.

DJI's transmitter user interface with a ubiquitous smart phone further makes the typical transmitters interface look old, even the Walkera color screens.
Last edit: 29 Apr 2015 17:16 by moss.

More
02 May 2015 01:57 #31913 by PhracturedBlue
I got my new hot-air rework station:
yihua-soldering.com/product-1-3-5-hot-ai...rk-station-en/147667

I really like the sleep mode and auto gun shutdown. It also takes up a lot less space than my old one.

It took me a couple tries (I really hate working on these tiny qfn packages) but I was able to get good joints and the 3.3V supply seems to be working now. I still need to populate the front of the board, and I'm under the weather, so I'm not sure when I'll get to it.

I think the stencil put too much solder on the ground pad and caused the chip to float up. Someone mentioned that could be an issue. the vias may be too small to suck down the solder.

More
04 May 2015 13:11 #32058 by moss
EagleCAD, and others, make very crude guesses on the solder apertures, while perhaps OK on small pads, the larger central pads by default get too much solder. Vias has to be added, and "cream" apertures has to adjusted avoid too much solder. I would think ~50% would be enough.
Good to hear the DC/DC is running.

More
14 May 2015 16:56 #32562 by SadSack
SMTAssistant
Show where parts should be placed. Can't try it myself but looks useful works with EagleCad.

digitaldiy.io/articles/software/49-eagle...utility#.VVTPPTlwa24

More
14 May 2015 20:51 #32583 by Cereal_Killer
Replied by Cereal_Killer on topic Single-Board Universal Module
PB, [very OT for a sec, sorry] do you mind posting where you got that newer Yihua? I've been working with my hacked [mega168 based open source controlled installed) 858D for a year and a half now and while it's still working quite well I have this feeling it's not going to be working much longer and that one looks very nice. How's the overshoot (how well's the PID gains tuned)? What's it display on that bigger screen? Would you recommend it at what you paid? Wonder what the inside looks like (not asking for a pic, I'm sure your to busy for that, just thnkin out loud). I assume since you didn't mention anything about ground issues that it came perfect, ready to plug in and go to work?

I'm sure your to busy for any type of actual product review, but in short what made you go with it instead of a more common one like another 858?

Taranis X9E | DEVO 10 | Devo U7E | Taranis Q7

What I do in real life: rivergoequestrian.com/

More
14 May 2015 21:10 #32587 by PhracturedBlue
I was actually planning on the 858, but my old station was a 2-in-1, and while the iron still works fine, I don't have room on my bench for the old 2-in-1 and for a new hot-air station. The 995 lets me replace my old station with something with equivalent performance.

I got it from ebay. Prices are pretty uniform there. eevblog has a few reviews that are generally positive. that was good enough for me. The grounding seems fine, and I've had no issues with it so far(though it hasn't gotten too much use as yet). Apparently the iron has some of the logic embedded which means replacing it is more complicated, but I'll deal with that should the need ever arise. I haven't taken it apart (and don't plan to as long as it continues to work) as mucking around with my tools isn't really high on my priority list.

The screen just has the temp of the iron and air-gun as well as air-flow and the auto-timer. Nothing super fancy, but I'm notsure what else you'd need in a soldering station. I haven't used it long enough to determine how well the PID works. I personally don't exactly fine-tune my temperatures. It is either hot enough, too hot, or good enough, and I adjust the temp until it is the one I want. the iron does cool down very slowly if the air-flow isn't maxed and a small tip is installed. It does not automatically max the air-flow during the cool-down stage unlike my old station.

The tip the iron came with is complete junk and needed to be immediately replaced.

I haven't used it enough to really know, but so far it has met all my expectations. I don't know if it is worth an extra $30 over a bare-bones 2-in-1 but its small size and pretty looks are enough for me :)

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds