Single-Board Universal Module

More
20 Feb 2016 02:41 #43343 by RedSleds
Replied by RedSleds on topic Single-Board Universal Module
It's official.

This thread has been hijacked. I'm unsubscribing until PB, or others using his Universal Module board, has some progress on it.

DEVO 10 - Multi-module with nRF24L01 +PA +LNA, A7105 +PA, & CC2500 +PA +LNA transceivers.
Nightly Build: v4.0.1-548bbf5 (6/9/2015)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Feb 2016 02:50 #43345 by dc59
Replied by dc59 on topic Single-Board Universal Module

RedSleds wrote: It's official.

This thread has been hijacked. I'm unsubscribing until PB, or others using his Universal Module board, has some progress on it.

Hi RedSleds,

I'm very sorry about that! :oops:
I move thread to here .

More
19 Apr 2016 15:43 #46801 by alibenpeng
Replied by alibenpeng on topic Single-Board Universal Module
I've been following this thread since day one and I'm quite excited about what's going on here. I also want to build a universal module, but I can't even compile the code.
I've checked out the latest master from github, and building the devo8 target works fine, but when I run make in the universaltx dir, it can't build the libopencm3 linker script:

BUILD lib/stm32/f0
make[2]: *** No rule to make target `libopencm3_stm32f0.ld', needed by `/home/ali/src/rc/devo_8s/deviation/src/libopencm3/lib/libopencm3_stm32f0.ld'. Stop.

I'm sure I just forgot something stupid (as usual), but as I haven't used libopencm3 before, I'm a stuck at this point.
Anybody care to help?

More
19 Apr 2016 15:58 #46802 by victzh
Replied by victzh on topic Single-Board Universal Module
Are you building on Windows? If so, start bash and build first time from there, it should build (if build is not broken at all).

More
19 Apr 2016 16:07 - 19 Apr 2016 22:00 #46804 by alibenpeng
No, I'm on Ubuntu 14.04. But I've tried explicitly starting a bash (as Ubuntu has some kind of other semi compatible shell) and build in there, but it throws the same error.
I've also tried bringing my own libopencm3, but that was no good either. With that not even deviation would compile..

Edit:
I got it to compile now. I had to copy the f0 linker script over from the same version libopencm3 and move a few commits back. I still have to figure out which commit breaks the universaltx.
Edit 2:
It was e4d482c2c50551b367c17ea12f29f234a30fc9fd coverity fixes.
Last edit: 19 Apr 2016 22:00 by alibenpeng. Reason: more progress

More
19 Apr 2016 23:31 #46823 by alibenpeng
submitted a pull request

More
20 Apr 2016 00:57 #46828 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Single-Board Universal Module
I don't think the latest code I have is checked in, and I think I have additional stuff sitting in my sandbox. The more interesting question is what are you doing with it? Do you have a board to test it with?

Given the progress on the 4-in-1 board, my current plan is to restart work on the UniversalTx using that board rather than my own RF design. I think that will solve the fundamental issue with the UniversalTx (which is that I couldn't actually sell them). I'm waiting to see how that pnas out.

More
20 Apr 2016 06:10 #46841 by bianchifan
Replied by bianchifan on topic Single-Board Universal Module

octagon wrote: Why not download a copy of EagleCAD?/

'cause I don't wanna fill my rare discspace with GBs of mud.. :evil:

octagon wrote: Gerbers are already available for the project, or you can just order the boards from OSHpark./

I know.
But they do not help me.
I want to build some of my own and need only two ways/modules, Hubsan and FRsky.

Last year I learned that some members of CERN jumed on the KiCAD train, so that's the way to ride.

More
20 Apr 2016 07:40 #46849 by alibenpeng
I ordered a big part of the BOM a year ago, and have three 0.9.4 boards on my desk, so I'm committed to building one. BTW, would this code (sans USB and all the protocols) run on a smaller ST, say an stm32f030c8t6? I'm asking because I have a few of them around and I'm not planning on using the module standalone.

More
20 Apr 2016 12:52 #46866 by PhracturedBlue
@alibenpeng:
Probably if the pinout is the same. Programming it will be a lot more difficult since we utilize the on-board USB programmer on the 72. I haven't looked into it myself. I will go back through my old repo and see if there is anything I haven't committed.

@bianchifan
I have used both KiCad and Eagle, and I prefer Eagle (actually I don't really like either one, but of the hobbyist options, I prefer Eagle). If you want Gerbers, the easiest way to get them is to install Eagle, then generate them, then uninstall Eagle. It is likely faster than anything else you can do. I no longer generate gerbers as OshPark can work directly with my Eagle library.

More
20 Apr 2016 13:00 #46868 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Single-Board Universal Module
I have KiCAD and I never got used to it. I'm not saying it is total crap, unless something major changed, KiCAD can allow logic errors.
bugs.launchpad.net/kicad
Maybe the scientist at CERN can fix the bugs.

More
20 Apr 2016 19:28 - 20 Apr 2016 19:29 #46894 by alibenpeng
@PB:
i tend to forget there even is USB on many ST chips. I'm still too stoked by what you can do with SWD, I guess. Anyway, I ordered a handful of 72s to be sure. The parts that go on that board are way too precious to waste, and I have to wait for the PE switches anyway. I'm really looking forward to building this thing and even more to finally being able to retire the porcupine and put the original antenna back on.

re Eagle vs. KiCad:
I just switched from Eagle to KiCad, and after using it a bit i must say they both suck, but in totally different ways. KiCad's OpenGL Workspace and the push and shove router work really nice, but doing anything involving a curved line and a copper surface is a major pain. It can be done, but it usually involves editing the kicad_pcb file in a text editor or generating objects with scripts. But then, doing almost anything in Eagle, esp. switching layer visibility, needs so many clicks, it drove me nuts. The input prompt remedies that a bit, though. And board artwork like curved copper surfaces or board outlines didn't involve as much swearing as with KiCad, I recall.
Last edit: 20 Apr 2016 19:29 by alibenpeng.

More
20 Apr 2016 20:39 #46898 by victzh
And what product does not suck?

More
20 Apr 2016 20:44 #46899 by PhracturedBlue
I can't talk about tools I use on my job, but we've used both industry standard as well as in-house developed schematic entry and layout tools that are far more intuitive/powerful than Eagle or KiCad. That said, I don't have much experience with board-level layout, so I don't really have a direct comparison. But industry standard tools cost orders of magnitude more than Eagle and are completely inappropriate for hobbyist use.

More
20 Apr 2016 20:48 #46900 by victzh
My job is a pure programming one, so I'm not so lucky - that's why I ask.

More
21 Apr 2016 01:19 - 21 Apr 2016 01:20 #46912 by octagon
Replied by octagon on topic Single-Board Universal Module
switching layer visibility.
It is not too bad, but I wish I could set "hot-keys" for groups I can pre-set for visibility. Color choices are also too limited, as is transparency. I use open source "gerbv" for checking designs, to get another view of the process.
Altium is the "best", but I could spend $11,000+ on something I need more.
Last edit: 21 Apr 2016 01:20 by octagon.

More
21 Apr 2016 07:44 #46923 by alibenpeng
Many swear by DipTrace, which has a comparable price range to Eagle, but all I ever did with it was export some Gerbers or PS files with the trial version. But Iǘe seen people on the net call it intuitive. Maybe worth a look.

More
21 Apr 2016 08:44 #46926 by bianchifan
Replied by bianchifan on topic Single-Board Universal Module

PhracturedBlue wrote: If you want Gerbers, the easiest way to get them is to install Eagle, then generate them, then uninstall Eagle.

I do not want Gerbers, I do want the schematics.
I was told from eagle-loverboys even from a couple og KiCATs more than a hundred times: install eagle and you can export your beloved schematics easily..
My answer is always the same: NEVER EVER!

I will never understand how people uses not OpenSource stuff like Eagle/Altium in OpenSource/OpenHW surroundings.
But times are changing, more and more developer are switching to KiCAD or runnin' it aside their evaluated system.
I know, KiCAD has a lot of faults and glitches and some parts are really bullshit.. but it's OenSource and worth to be developed further on!
That's all.

BTW: I used gerbv from gEDA until I got knowledge of ZofzPCB.
Ok, sometimes it crashes, it seems to be a one-man-show, but I don't wanna miss the peeling function anymore.

More
21 Apr 2016 12:52 #46936 by PhracturedBlue
Sorry guys this has gone off topic too far. If you want to continue to discuss layout tools, bring it to a separate thread. Having an argument about your favorite tools is just turning into another religious war. You are welcome to use whichever tools you like. It is on you to get the design into those tools if you want to make it hard on yourself.

More
21 Apr 2016 13:03 #46937 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Single-Board Universal Module
I've looked at DipTrace, and I could not get along with it. Maybe I should have spent more time with it.

Gerbv gEDA works fine, I have offered many suggestions to improve it. Project seems dormant. Specifically I want to assign colors to file extensions, and layer ordering, so opening layers always looks the same. Now random cute pastels colors in random layer ordering demands that I recolor and reorder all the layers.
Once saved its OK for one file. Error handling is weak or non-existent in gerbv gEDA.

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds