Test of the new menu system

More
26 May 2016 01:24 - 26 May 2016 02:04 #49247 by hexfet
Replied by hexfet on topic Test of the new menu system
It's in both. I think it happened early. At the time I thought it might be something I was doing with the telemetry, but doesn't seem so. Followed through the code but lost the trail at
#define NORMALBOXNEG_FONT  (Display.font[17])

That's the font being set to display the boxes, but not sure where to go from there.

edit: seems like the issue was introduced with 8bdf866, so above may be unrelated
Last edit: 26 May 2016 02:04 by hexfet.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 May 2016 03:11 #49250 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Test of the new menu system
Thanks, should be fixed now in bothe master and 5.0 branch

More
26 May 2016 03:14 #49251 by PhracturedBlue
By the way, I'm aware the quickpages are still broken on the 320x240 pages. I'm working on it.

More
26 May 2016 04:12 #49256 by FDR
Replied by FDR on topic Test of the new menu system

PhracturedBlue wrote:

FDR wrote: Yes, the bug is still there:
Go into the model select list. Probably the first model is selected.
Start to scroll down.
As the first row disappears upwards, the selection changes to model2, model3, etc.
If you scroll back, the selection remains on the one which was on the top of the list.

All the model selection, icon selection, model save as, and probably the template selection does that in both directions. (I haven't got enough templates to check...)

Yes, this is what I decided on. the selection will stay with what you had unless it no longer is on the screen. the original selection is lost as soon as it scrolls off screen. So it is not a bug. if you don't like it we can discuss alternatives.

Well, that's not listbox-like at all, and I don't really like it.
I see that you can leave the page with exit without actually approving the selection, but it's still frightening...

More
26 May 2016 04:29 #49257 by PhracturedBlue
I don't see why 'frightening' is the right word. It shuld behave exactly the same way it always has. even in 4.01 if you scrolled the listbox, the selection would move to stay at the top. as you scrolled back, it would move to the bottom and then move up one at a time. This should not be any different.

More
26 May 2016 04:50 - 26 May 2016 04:51 #49258 by hexfet

PhracturedBlue wrote: Thanks, should be fixed now in bothe master and 5.0 branch

It's fixed on the telemtest page, but not on the main page. I selected FrskyX, then bind, then put RSSI in box2 and set a limit of 100 in telemetry config. On the main page the value disappears when the limit is exceeded.
Last edit: 26 May 2016 04:51 by hexfet.

More
26 May 2016 05:17 #49259 by FDR

PhracturedBlue wrote: I don't see why 'frightening' is the right word. It shuld behave exactly the same way it always has. even in 4.01 if you scrolled the listbox, the selection would move to stay at the top. as you scrolled back, it would move to the bottom and then move up one at a time. This should not be any different.

You are right, it was this way forever indeed.
This shows how few models I have and how rearly I fly, so I didn't realized so far... :(

I used the term frightening, because IMO in general a scrolling shouldn't change anything, so it would be frightening for someone who doesn't aware such change can happen. But you know my english is not that polished anyway...

More
26 May 2016 05:42 #49261 by PhracturedBlue

hexfet wrote:

PhracturedBlue wrote: Thanks, should be fixed now in bothe master and 5.0 branch

It's fixed on the telemtest page, but not on the main page. I selected FrskyX, then bind, then put RSSI in box2 and set a limit of 100 in telemetry config. On the main page the value disappears when the limit is exceeded.

should be fixed there now too

More
26 May 2016 11:49 #49277 by PhracturedBlue
I've beet trying to find solution to the quickpage issue and haven't come up with one I like. Originally, the devo8 used left/right for the quickpage keys. This was ok, because there was no assumption of needing to use the buttons to navigate. Now, there is an assumption that it is easy to navigate using exclusively buttons, so left/right doesn't work well.

The Devo10 uses long-press up/down. This is an option for the devo8 as well, though it is less convenient to use. The downside is that on the AT9, you cannot use long/press on the arrow keys. I could remap the controls on the at9 such that (currently unused) mode button would let you cycle through quick-pages (but only in one directiion). This would probably be ok, except that it would break the ability to use the main-layout page as a quick-page (since I already have plans for the mode button there). Even still, this is probably my preferred solution.

I could also keep the left/right quickpage buttons on the devo8, and start with no selection when in quickpage mode (for instance until up/down is pressed), but this adds a lot of complication to saving/restoring the selection during menu mode, so I don't love that option either.

More
26 May 2016 19:12 #49309 by Fernandez
Replied by Fernandez on topic Test of the new menu system
Now you all are working on menus and selections, I don't anymore know the threat, but at that time someone proposed why not use the transmitter sticks, to walk true the menus and select items?
Any tx has sticks, also it would be very intuitive, fast to use, also it might save some buttons?

More
26 May 2016 19:17 #49310 by FDR

More
26 May 2016 19:45 #49315 by PhracturedBlue
to be clear, I am not opening up huge amounts of development. I just finished a massive reorganization of the code and menuing system, and I'm now about done. I do not have any interest in yet another massive code rework in this area :) If someone else wants to attempt it, I may be amenable, but honestly using sticks to control the menus seems pretty risky to me.

More
26 May 2016 22:16 #49329 by hexfet
How would it play nicely with the existing feature that lets you set sources and switches by moving the stick/switch/rotary?

The main page telemetry value display inversion now works correctly for 128x64.

More
06 Jun 2016 04:15 - 06 Jun 2016 04:16 #50016 by phantom8
Replied by phantom8 on topic Test of the new menu system
I've tested on both 7e & 10 emulators. Before menu changes, you can hold UP/DOWN arrow buttons to auto-repeat scrolling on Model selection box. Now, auto-repeat doesn't work by holding down arrow buttons. If you've 30 models, you'll need to press the Down button 30 times to go from top to bottom. It's really tedious. BTW, the same thing happens on a real 7e.
Last edit: 06 Jun 2016 04:16 by phantom8.

More
07 Jun 2016 12:48 #50085 by PhracturedBlue

phantom8 wrote: I've tested on both 7e & 10 emulators. Before menu changes, you can hold UP/DOWN arrow buttons to auto-repeat scrolling on Model selection box. Now, auto-repeat doesn't work by holding down arrow buttons. If you've 30 models, you'll need to press the Down button 30 times to go from top to bottom. It's really tedious. BTW, the same thing happens on a real 7e.

As of version c07562 (current nightly) fast scrolling is supported in all menus. I am not 100% confident that there are no side effects, so please let me know if you see any.

More
08 Jun 2016 14:47 #50175 by phantom8
Replied by phantom8 on topic Test of the new menu system

PhracturedBlue wrote:

phantom8 wrote: I've tested on both 7e & 10 emulators. Before menu changes, you can hold UP/DOWN arrow buttons to auto-repeat scrolling on Model selection box. Now, auto-repeat doesn't work by holding down arrow buttons. If you've 30 models, you'll need to press the Down button 30 times to go from top to bottom. It's really tedious. BTW, the same thing happens on a real 7e.

As of version c07562 (current nightly) fast scrolling is supported in all menus. I am not 100% confident that there are no side effects, so please let me know if you see any.

Thanks for the fix! Just retested it and the fast scrolling is working fine.

More
03 Oct 2016 07:10 #54537 by Thomas.Heiss
Replied by Thomas.Heiss on topic Test of the new menu system
Question on the 5.0-nightly-build GUI menu system for model list UP/DOWN and model over #1/#30 jumps: www.deviationtx.com/forum/7-development/...arounds-enhancements

The jump #1 (over the top) to #30 is not working 5.0.0 for model list.
In other menus like mixer, model setup jumping over the top / from bottom to top (back) by just using the UP button works.

Is the hard stop at model list #1 intended or have you changed that yet in latest code PhracturedBlue?

Thomas

More
23 Jan 2017 20:08 - 23 Jan 2017 20:09 #58328 by FDR
I've started to work on the new menu system to better its look on the color screens.

This is how it looks now:

It is much better if I enlarge and center the button:

But I think we should get rid of the button face all together:

It is the same button, just the bitmap of it is fully transparent.
I would be happy if I could left align the text, like it is on the B&W screens, but the button widget doesn't allow that.

What do you think, which looks better?
Attachments:
Last edit: 23 Jan 2017 20:09 by FDR.

More
23 Jan 2017 22:24 #58332 by Moeder
Replied by Moeder on topic Test of the new menu system
I like the larger buttons without the "old school" button face. What about getting rid of the left-aligned menu numbers? To me they look odd and useless, since we don't have to scroll like on devo/7e/10/12e. If going without button face, I'd choose a different color for the menu selection, cyan is not made for me ;)

More
24 Jan 2017 03:59 #58336 by Deal57
Replied by Deal57 on topic Test of the new menu system
Agree with Moeder, big buttons, transparent.

For me i don't really focus on the look/feel of the color menus now that they can be (mostly) used with the buttons like the mono menus. But when I use the stylus or my fat fingers, I find the larger targets (buttons) work better for me.

Deviation Devo7e 3way switch mod, A7105, NRF24L01
Devo6s 2x2 switch mod, trim mod, haptic, multimodule, A7105, NRF24L01, CC2500
Devo12e 4-in-1 with voice mod -- it speaks!!

Time to create page: 0.172 seconds