Test of the new menu system

More
23 May 2016 18:44 #49080 by FDR
Replied by FDR on topic Test of the new menu system
Thanks, I'm on deviation-emu_devo8-v5.0.0-e4e4501 now.
I could't recheck everything with the previous one, but I will now with this.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 May 2016 19:00 #49081 by FDR
The selection in the scrollable listboxes change with the scrolling, when the selection goes out of the visible part.

More
23 May 2016 19:07 #49082 by FDR
The menu selection still doesn't follow the touches.
The $5 question is: should it at all?

More
23 May 2016 19:12 #49083 by FDR
BTW in the old versions if you touched anything, the selection has gone, but nw it is always visible.
As I primarily use the touch screen interface, the visible selection isn't needed, but only an ugly border...

More
24 May 2016 02:50 #49101 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Test of the new menu system
I'm not sure what you mean by 'menu selection doesn't follow the touch'. Do you just mean that the last-selected menu isn't the last one you touched? I'm not sure that would be useful.

As far as the selection always being visible, I'm not sure how to proceed, I could easily make it so that if nothing is selected, the selection doesn't follow the touch. But once you have the selection visible it currently stays visible. How about the following: If you enter a menu with the touch screen, the selection will not be visible (until you use a button to make it so). If you enter the menu via a button press, the selection will be at the last selected item. That should provide a reasonable compromise for both usage models. I'm not sure if it will be a little confusing though.

More
24 May 2016 05:44 #49107 by FDR
Yes. I'll try to explain how I think it should work:

If you navigate with the buttons, the menu selection is shown and retained the same when you navigate back, or open the menu again. So far so good.
However when start to use the touch screen, the selection should disappear, but the selection should be maintained in the background just like if it was selected with the buttons. In this case if I start pressing the buttons again to navigate or change values, I can continue right where I left it.

Actually the shown selection isn't too disturbing in the menu, but it is on the forms...

More
25 May 2016 02:43 #49160 by PhracturedBlue
try it now and see what you think.

More
25 May 2016 04:18 #49172 by FDR
OK, I'm on deviation-emu_devo8-v5.0.0-a26122c now...

The touch screen navigation is better without the selections, but it is still not what I was hoping for.
The selection doesn't change with the touches, so when I next time use the buttons (for example if I use the pencil to make changes, but use the EXT button to exit the page) it won't show the last selected item, but the last selected by buttons one, which could be an earlier selection and it is confusing.

Has anything else changed aside from the filesystem thing?

More
25 May 2016 05:12 #49175 by PhracturedBlue
I'll be honest. I don't understand what you are expecting.
if you use the touch screen you shouldn't see selections, but the page should be remembered. if you do use buttons you get selections. If you mix the two, you get whatever you used last.

I cannot keep track of the last thing you pressed without also selecting it, so you need to choose to have selections always present, or not to save the selection when using the touch system.

More
25 May 2016 06:25 #49181 by FDR
Sorry about if I wasn't clear.
So you say it is impossible to maintain the selection of the touches without showing it.
In this case it is a hard choice to choose from the two. I would rather happy if that can be choosed as a setting...

More
25 May 2016 12:32 #49193 by PhracturedBlue
The code can keep track of what page it is currently on, but not what the last selection (that isn't currently shown) is. I'll think about it more, but for now I've gone ahead and merged this code into head. It is a large amount of change, and I don't want to continue managing it in a branch, and it doesn't seem like there are any show-stopper issues with it now.

More
25 May 2016 12:53 #49195 by FDR
OK, thanks!
I'll iget back to the master...

More
25 May 2016 13:02 #49197 by PhracturedBlue
also, thanks for your diligence in helping to flush out the interface. it is greatly appreciated.

More
25 May 2016 14:57 #49201 by FDR
Have you fixed this one, or is it still there:

The selection in the scrollable listboxes change with the scrolling, when the selection goes out of the visible part.

I can only check it later at home...

More
25 May 2016 15:43 #49204 by PhracturedBlue
scrollable lists should maintain their selection during scrolling. if you see cases where it doesn't behave as you expect, please let me know.

More
25 May 2016 18:01 #49210 by FDR
Yes, the bug is still there:
Go into the model select list. Probably the first model is selected.
Start to scroll down.
As the first row disappears upwards, the selection changes to model2, model3, etc.
If you scroll back, the selection remains on the one which was on the top of the list.

All the model selection, icon selection, model save as, and probably the template selection does that in both directions. (I haven't got enough templates to check...)

More
25 May 2016 19:43 - 25 May 2016 21:02 #49216 by hexfet
Replied by hexfet on topic Test of the new menu system
I've done a good bit of testing on the Devo10 emulator and all the navigation worked well. The only issue I found is that telemetry values do not display when "inverted". For example on the telemetry test page all the values that are not active appear blank (white) instead of a white 0 on black background. Same when telemetry value is displayed in a main page box and the value exceeds a configured limit.
Last edit: 25 May 2016 21:02 by hexfet.

More
25 May 2016 20:36 #49222 by HappyHarry
Replied by HappyHarry on topic Test of the new menu system
i've just gave the latest branch a build and run through on the actual 7e-256 tx build, as well as the standard 7e emulator (build id 66485d6) and nothing is jumping out at me as a problem, i've also checked the changes in silpstreams updated ultimate7e merge request branch (fcfdb6e) in both the tx 7e-256 and the emu-7e-256 and again everything looks good. i'll do a little deeper testing over the next day or so and post back if anything shows up

More
26 May 2016 00:47 #49240 by PhracturedBlue

FDR wrote: Yes, the bug is still there:
Go into the model select list. Probably the first model is selected.
Start to scroll down.
As the first row disappears upwards, the selection changes to model2, model3, etc.
If you scroll back, the selection remains on the one which was on the top of the list.

All the model selection, icon selection, model save as, and probably the template selection does that in both directions. (I haven't got enough templates to check...)

Yes, this is what I decided on. the selection will stay with what you had unless it no longer is on the screen. the original selection is lost as soon as it scrolls off screen. So it is not a bug. if you don't like it we can discuss alternatives.

More
26 May 2016 00:49 #49241 by PhracturedBlue

hexfet wrote: I've done a good bit of testing on the Devo10 emulator and all the navigation worked well. The only issue I found is that telemetry values do not display when "inverted". For example on the telemetry test page all the values that are not active appear blank (white) instead of a white 0 on black background. Same when telemetry value is displayed in a main page box and the value exceeds a configured limit.

I don't think I've made any changes that explicitly affect the telemetry page. I did rewrite several gui widgets though as well as the screen update code. is the issue present in today's nightly (481a401) too or only in the current master build?

Time to create page: 0.062 seconds