Voice alerts test build

More
28 Mar 2016 00:08 - 28 Mar 2016 00:10 #45309 by JOHNHENDRY
Replied by JOHNHENDRY on topic Voice alerts test build

Deal57 wrote: MWM, do we have a test build from a more recent nightly for the 6s? I've been otherwise distracted from this and I'd like to get it back together. Seeing that the test build has been downloaded 40+ times, it seems we have an audience! B)

Hay not everyone in the audience has downloaded the test build.... 3 over here watching. Thanks guys.... IMO ALL TX's need voice alerts so your eyes can stay on the aircraft. Taking your eyes off a UMX Radeon at altitude to check your time when it's in lift and just a speck in the sky may be the last time you see it.
Last edit: 28 Mar 2016 00:10 by JOHNHENDRY.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Apr 2016 11:21 #47086 by mickkn
Replied by mickkn on topic Voice alerts test build
This is so awesome. Guess I'll order such a dfplayer :-)

More
24 Apr 2016 19:20 - 24 Apr 2016 19:59 #47110 by Deal57
Replied by Deal57 on topic Voice alerts test build
I'm encouraged by my recent testing of the voice alerts. Using the January build, I hooked up the voice alert module externally, plugged in the trainer port and connected to a 5v regulated power source, and it's like magic! "Welcome to deviation" at power up (in a British accent, too), alerts on low voltage or timer countdown, and a nice "Goodbye!" when powering down.

This seems to be a very reliable configuration. Here are the parts:
DFPlayer Mini, BG about $5.
1" speaker, Radio shack, $4.
Mono 1/8" jack, (panel mount), $4. pack of 2
Mono 1/8 to 1/8 audio cable.
MicroSD card preloaded with voice alert folder
5v supply... I used a 2s Lipo with 5v regulator, and it also works from a 1s directly (but I can't recommend this approach, not yet anyway)

Test build "deviation-devo6-v4.0.1-d4679c2"

Plug power into DFPlayer pin 1 (Vcc) and pin 10 (ground)
Plug the audio "tip" into pin 2 (RX) and connect the shield to pin 7 (ground).
Last, plug the speaker + into pin 6 and - to pin 8.

It seems like the module should be switched on before applying power to the Devo, because sometimes it misses the power on message. I am using an external power source to avoid issues with my TX power supply. I measured a current use of about 30ma on standby, and about 70ma when it is actively playing. This seems a pretty high draw, particularly in the Devo 6s or 7e. If it runs constantly it's like having another transmitter module active. I hope to test it for several flights with the 6s and see if it's a problem.

Deviation Devo7e 3way switch mod, A7105, NRF24L01
Devo6s 2x2 switch mod, trim mod, haptic, multimodule, A7105, NRF24L01, CC2500
Devo12e 4-in-1 with voice mod -- it speaks!!
Attachments:
Last edit: 24 Apr 2016 19:59 by Deal57.

More
25 Apr 2016 12:25 #47152 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic Voice alerts test build
I think the external power is the real solution. That also means you can use an external speaker, as I haven't found one that fits and produces enough volume to hear!

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
25 Apr 2016 14:29 #47166 by Deal57
I hooked up a 2" 4Ohm 5W speaker and pretty much blew myself out of the room :P

A more practical solution might be to use the 36mm 8Ohm 2W speaker that Taranis users are fond of. Together with a plastic collar modification the speaker seems to be pretty popular... but then I don't know if the Taranis provides any sort of amplification. In any case I'm getting one to try.

I don't have any idea how to squeeze all this into a Devo 6s or 7e case! No problems with the other cases, as near as I can tell.

More
26 Apr 2016 11:37 #47227 by mwm
Can you provide a link to that taranis speaker? And do you have issues getting it into a 10?

More
26 Apr 2016 11:50 #47228 by mickkn

More
11 May 2016 13:46 - 12 May 2016 12:26 #48198 by Deal57
Still playing with the voice alerts hardware and there are a couple of new things I want to share. First, the speaker output is significantly improved by providing a chamber on the speaker to direct the sound. The Taranis speaker upgrade kits have essentially this function, and I simulated it on the cheap by fitting my 1" speaker into a 1" diameter x about 1/2" long tube. The sound seems louder; I haven't tried it in the field yet.

The second update is the addition of a micro USB plug, which allows PC access to the files on the SD chip. This means that once installed, you could upgrade the voice files without disassembling your transmitter. You can't play sounds while connected to the PC, and as soon as I disconnected she was back to her chatty self!

I also added a pair of momentary buttons for testing, because they allow you to move sequentially up and down between the voice files. They also allow you to adjust the volume (long press). Of course the right programming will do this through the GUI as well.

I'm really just stuck on how to package this now. Here are the parts:
DFPlayer Mini (Banggood, $5 or less)
1GB or larger SD micro memory card
2w Speaker, size 36mm or smaller (many sources, typically about $3 to $10)
Mini USB breakout (5 for a couple bucks at Banggood)
2 x pushbutton momentary switch (volume and browsing, if desired, from test stock)
Power 3.3-5v - note, while talking, this system consumes about 70ma, so drawing power from the Devo may shorten control times:
* 2s battery with 5v regulator. This has been my primary source during testing and seems pretty long-lasting
* 1s battery - while this works, it's not clear how long it will last
* for larger Devo you could tap into a 3.3v or 5v source.

I've updated my drawing to show the additional connections.

Attachments:
Last edit: 12 May 2016 12:26 by Deal57. Reason: Updated Drawing

More
12 May 2016 08:00 - 12 May 2016 08:00 #48257 by TheSFReader
Replied by TheSFReader on topic Voice alerts test build
Hi, do the push-buttons pull "UP" or "down" ? (is the other side connected to VCC or ground ?)
Last edit: 12 May 2016 08:00 by TheSFReader.

More
12 May 2016 12:26 #48272 by Deal57
Pull-down. Drawing updated :oops: . Thanks!

More
17 May 2016 11:10 #48586 by mickkn
Replied by mickkn on topic Voice alerts test build
Would you mind making a test build with current source, so we/I can get this to work together with FrSkyX :)

More
03 Jun 2016 12:38 #49870 by phantom8
Replied by phantom8 on topic Voice alerts test build
Since I've upgraded the MCU on my Devo 7e, I'm now thinking of adding the DFPlayer Mini for voice support. I've tested it with a 8ohm 0.5W speaker (4cm diameter, 5mm thickness). It's pretty loud and can easily fit inside the 7e. I've also measured the current to be around 30mA while idle; 220mA during peak playback. The peak current that I observed is much more than Deal57 measurement. Maybe it's because we're using different speakers. Does anyone know if it's safe to draw that much current by tapping to the 5V point from the 7e?

Here is the speaker that I'm using.

Attachments:

More
03 Jun 2016 16:09 #49880 by Fernandez
Replied by Fernandez on topic Voice alerts test build
I am in for the voice mod for U7E , I received my DF player module, I pulled some speakers from an old laptop, they are also boxed/enclosed.
So basically once firmware is there will be ready to test it.

The voltage circuit on 7e yes that's still something to analyse, I put a heavy duty regulator basically to get rid of fluctuating voltage, but that never solved the issue.

More
04 Jun 2016 08:01 #49904 by phantom8
For the u7e, the UART5_TX pin (PC12) seems to be available. Maybe we can connect it directly to DFPlayer. In this case, we can free up the DSC port for other purpose.

The UART5_RX pin (PD2) is being used for Haptic vibration motor accordingly to PB's wiki. But I guess we don't really need the receive pin on the UART.

More
06 Jun 2016 06:43 #50017 by phantom8
I've created a test build with the latest nightly of u7e with voice alert functions from mwm. To test it, you'll also need to download the MP3MINI.zip from the test build by mwm. Make sure you've modified the hardware.ini file with the corresponding audio player you've.

File Attachment:

File Name: deviation-...2414.zip
File Size:598 KB
Attachments:

More
09 Jun 2016 21:04 #50275 by mwm
Is your newer build available in a github repo? One of the issues keeping me from working on things (besides health) is not wanting to deal with moving my dev branches into git....

More
09 Jun 2016 21:20 - 09 Jun 2016 21:22 #50277 by HappyHarry
Replied by HappyHarry on topic Voice alerts test build
i think this is going to be my next mod to my u7e, I don't think it's something I'll use much but it's a nice little project to hack on, as (like most here I presume) I like hacking/building stuff :)

sorry to hear of your health troubles mwm, hope things get better for you soon bud
Last edit: 09 Jun 2016 21:22 by HappyHarry.

More
09 Jun 2016 22:30 - 09 Jun 2016 23:17 #50282 by phantom8

mwm wrote: Is your newer build available in a github repo? One of the issues keeping me from working on things (besides health) is not wanting to deal with moving my dev branches into git....

It's available under Github deviation fork at github.com/phantom-8/deviation . Your code is residing in branch "extended_audio". I've also added support for UART5. That is, the u7e can use PC12, UART5_TX (Processor Pin 53) for audio support. Thus freeing the PPM port for other purposes. You can check the branch commit log for details. I've already fitted the DFPlayer & a speaker inside my u7e and have tested the UART5_TX pin and everything is working well. Since the UART5_RX pin is not available, we can't have 2 way communications under this configuration.

I'm also in the process of adding voice feedback when changing switch positions. This feature is not in repo yet as I'm still working on it. However, the way I implement the voice feedback may not be what you expect. I took a easy route to make it work without any fancy configuration interface. I will add it to the repo once it's done and you can decide if you want to merge it or rework on it.

I hope you're recovering well after your surgery. Pls get well soon and thanks for bringing the voice feature to deviation.
Last edit: 09 Jun 2016 23:17 by phantom8.

More
09 Jun 2016 23:08 - 10 Jun 2016 00:05 #50288 by phantom8
Here are some photos of the voice mod in my u7e using pin PC12.

Disclaimer: Pls note that this only works on a Devo 7e with processor upgrade. You can't do this on any other Devo models as the Pin has already been used. You also won't be able to use 2-way communications when connecting to PC12. If you need 2-way communications, you will have to use the PPM connection.

Attachments:
Last edit: 10 Jun 2016 00:05 by phantom8.

More
10 Jun 2016 00:40 #50294 by mwm
My plan on switch positions et. al. is to integrate them into the alerts page. Right now, alerts only trigger on telemetry values. I want to add channel values to that, and then provide </=/> alerts, plus a "only trigger once" option. But hey, if you want to do the work, then whatever makes the most sense to you that PB will merge is cool by me!

More important is changing the page so that you can select a "named section" in the sound.ini file for each alert. When they're just beeps, it really doesn't matter much which you get. But you'd really like to be able to see that the selected alert is for RSSI or voltage or whatever when it says "Losing signal" or "Transmitter voltage alert"!

Time to create page: 0.270 seconds