Voice alerts test build

More
15 Mar 2018 19:58 #68108 by Moeder
Replied by Moeder on topic Voice alerts test build
Excellent mod, congratulations!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Mar 2018 21:41 #68111 by Bisky
Replied by Bisky on topic Voice alerts test build
@Remlen super cool mod...

@Moeder will normal xms deviation work in bigger cpu?

Ultimate 7E + range mod + 3x2 switch mod + 3in1 module
Devo F7 XMS + 4in1 module

More
15 Mar 2018 21:51 #68112 by hexfet
Replied by hexfet on topic Voice alerts test build
Very nice Remlen. Would you share ordering info for the microSD board and speaker?

More
16 Mar 2018 00:01 #68115 by MikefromGermany
Replied by MikefromGermany on topic Remlen build
That is some well thought mod, Remlen.

One can see how much effort was made to make it fit and as professional (or say - looking as stock) as possible.
I'll take a leaf of your book regarding the player mount - what a pity no one can see it anymore after closing the TX shell.

Exceptional pictures, too!

Thanks for sharing.

More
16 Mar 2018 10:07 #68127 by Remlen
Replied by Remlen on topic Voice alerts test build
DFPlayer.
www.banggood.com/DFPlayer-Mini-MP3-Playe...1.html?rmmds=myorder

I took the speaker from an old disassembled child's toy.

you can use this speaker.
www.banggood.com/Upgrade-Taranis-Loudspe...ist&cur_warehouse=CN

More
20 Mar 2018 00:36 #68215 by 52dgj
Replied by 52dgj on topic Voice alerts test build
How beautiful!✪ω✪...

DEVO12,DEVO8S,DEVO7E,DEVO10,Taranis QX7,FS-i6

More
26 Apr 2018 00:24 #68865 by compman2
Replied by compman2 on topic Voice alerts test build
Installed voice in my U7e and it is working. However I have a constant hum in the background which is bothersome. I have powered the dfplayer from the 5v pin of the origional devo radio module. Could it be dirty power causing the hum? I have tried three speakers and all exhibit the same hum. Would love to get rid of the background hum any ideas?

computer nerd, hobby collector, proud father

More
26 Apr 2018 06:34 #68866 by Moeder
Do you experience this on all protocols? Try ppm protocol to rule out rf interference. If thus helps, look if speaker / cables are close to the rf module(s) or antennas.

More
26 Apr 2018 14:39 #68871 by compman2
Haven't tried it on all protocols. I currently have it just hooked up with the shell in pieces. the speaker and dfplayer are outside of the transmitter case so I don't think it is a proximity issue. I will try ppm and see what I get there. I had tried powering it externally but didn't have the right battery combination to get the right voltage. My little lipo's were not giving enough voltage and my 2 and 3s lipos are to high. I may cobble together three double A enelopes for a test should be 4.6 volts charged.

More
27 Apr 2018 00:26 #68876 by compman2
Ok so it hooked it to an external battery and all the hum goes away. No mater where I take power from the board I get the hum. External battery no hum. I would really like to mount it internally is there a simple circuit that I can add to the power to get rid of the noise? If I used a pololu regulator and drive it from raw voltage would that filter out the noise?

More
28 Apr 2018 06:54 #68901 by Moeder
Yes, a separate voltage supply (with a step up/down being the most flexible) is definitely the best solution. There are many threads by arduino users solving hum problems with separate power supply. Please also take a look at the T8SG plus thread, where a similar issue is currently being discussed.

More
29 Apr 2018 10:20 #68920 by compman2
I have a step down supply coming and hopefully that will resolve the issuel.

More
17 May 2018 19:07 #69283 by jejeg
Replied by jejeg on topic Voice alerts test build
Hello everyone
Is it possible to have a voice announcement of the GPS (altimeter)
Thanks

More
20 May 2018 11:54 #69332 by M8A4X
Replied by M8A4X on topic Voice alerts test build
Hi everyone!

Are there some recommended power supply spots in the Devo F12E and 12S to hook the dfplayer mini or the pololu S7V8A voltage regulator to?

In the F12E I have the pololu currently hooked up to 3.3V port of the debug? port (GND, TSK, TCK, ... ; 3.3V) and it is working (set to 4.2V ouput).
The issue is that as soon as the volume is set to more than 6 in the TX menu and a voice output is played there are voltage bumps in the tx voltage reading (20-200mV) on the main screen and sometimes there is some channel jumping of 4-8%. It seems to me as if it is drawing to much power from the 3.3V spot. This issues get more rare when the volume is lowered to about 5 and are worst when on 8. A volume of 9 or 10 causes the voice announcements to turn into not understandable, loud humming.

Hardware is Pololu S7V8A, dfplayer mini, Taranis 0,5W / 8Ohm speaker. The dfplayer is right beside the TX battery bay, a small slot in the hatched bay makes the sdcard accessible. The pololu is hot glued inside of the TX to the back of the F12E, plenty of space. Speaker ist also hot glued to the inside back of the TX, merely right below the left gimbal.

Wiring: 3.3v and GND is taken from the debug? port, TX is taken from the DSC jack (TX when plug is not inserted) and also to the GND of the DSC jack. Yes, two GND connections... possible ground loop?

Any help is much appreciated!

Best regards,
Max

More
21 May 2018 03:44 #69346 by vlad_vy
Replied by vlad_vy on topic Voice alerts test build
I think Devo F12E 2.4GHz RF module powered from 5V.

More
21 May 2018 04:47 #69349 by M8A4X
Hi vlad_vy!

Thank you, that did the trick! :)

All "jitter" or fluctuations in TX voltage display and channels are gone. Now it is also possible to turn up the volume to 10 without humming sound.

More
21 May 2018 18:27 #69357 by Chabaz
Replied by Chabaz on topic Voice delay possible?
Is there any way i can add a fraction of a second delay, or make the announcement stop any other announcement currently playing. ie. Switching from low rates to high rates, preventing medium rates from being announced, or the high rates announcement "cutting off" the medium rates announcement? Since I'm merely moving thru the medium rates position.
This would be fantastic for every 3 position switch on the radio.

More
21 May 2018 18:38 #69358 by Chabaz
Replied by Chabaz on topic Voice alerts test build

M8A4X wrote: Hi everyone!

Are there some recommended power supply spots in the Devo F12E and 12S to hook the dfplayer mini or the pololu S7V8A voltage regulator to?

In the F12E I have the pololu currently hooked up to 3.3V port of the debug? port (GND, TSK, TCK, ... ; 3.3V) and it is working (set to 4.2V ouput).
The issue is that as soon as the volume is set to more than 6 in the TX menu and a voice output is played there are voltage bumps in the tx voltage reading (20-200mV) on the main screen and sometimes there is some channel jumping of 4-8%. It seems to me as if it is drawing to much power from the 3.3V spot. This issues get more rare when the volume is lowered to about 5 and are worst when on 8. A volume of 9 or 10 causes the voice announcements to turn into not understandable, loud humming.

Hardware is Pololu S7V8A, dfplayer mini, Taranis 0,5W / 8Ohm speaker. The dfplayer is right beside the TX battery bay, a small slot in the hatched bay makes the sdcard accessible. The pololu is hot glued inside of the TX to the back of the F12E, plenty of space. Speaker ist also hot glued to the inside back of the TX, merely right below the left gimbal.

Wiring: 3.3v and GND is taken from the debug? port, TX is taken from the DSC jack (TX when plug is not inserted) and also to the GND of the DSC jack. Yes, two GND connections... possible ground loop?

Any help is much appreciated!

Best regards,
Max

I had this problem and merely changed my speaker, i don't know what the ohms of either the one i removed or the one i installed as they both came straight out of the spare parts bin, but upon changing it all my audio power and quality issues were no more. Full volume, sounds great and the tx no longer objects.

• Schiefy01
  • Devo10 / Devo F7 / Devo F7DS
More
23 May 2018 23:13 - 23 May 2018 23:15 #69397 by Schiefy01
Replied by Schiefy01 on topic Voice alerts test build
Remlen, do you have some pictures of the voice modification inside devo10?
Last edit: 23 May 2018 23:15 by Schiefy01.

More
27 May 2018 09:29 - 27 May 2018 09:41 #69432 by M8A4X
The voice output on the F12E is now running fine :)

I have now installed all components (dfplayer, pololu, speaker) into the 12S.
Power is taken from pin 6 (5V) of the 4in1 module, pololu is set to 4.2V, dfplayer RX pin is connected to TX pin of the debug port of the 12S. The speaker is once again one of a taranis which also does the job in the F12E. The sdcard is formatted in FAT32, the mp3 folder with files and the voice.ini file in the root are present (the card works in the F12E).

But when I want to select voice messages in the model menu on the 12S there is the following message displayed:
"External voice currently not available". Also no "welcome to deviation" voice is played, only the standard beep tones are played.
The volume for voice is set to 10, but I have tried different settings with no success. Strangely enough, when I lower or raise the volume for voice, the beeper beeps once every step but does not change in volume. The beeper volume setting itself works fine.

Firmware on the 12S (XMS version with exchanged SPI flash chip) is: deviation-devo12-XMS-v5.x.x-2018-05-11
The hardware.ini has the line voice=dfplayer (no semicolon), all changes were done by the use of notepad++.
The hardware.ini is attached to this post.

Has anyone an idea what I have done wrong?

Edit: I should mention that at first i had the dfplayer connected wrong (turned by 180°).
So the connections were as follows
Devo --> Dfplayer:
VCC --> Busy
TX --> USB -
SPK 1 --> IO 2
GND --> GND
SPK 2 --> IO 1

I powered it up with this connections so could I have fried something? The voltage from pololu is still fine.
Attachments:
Last edit: 27 May 2018 09:41 by M8A4X.

Time to create page: 0.136 seconds