expressLRS

More
29 Jan 2022 14:14 - 30 Jan 2022 14:15 #77768 by mooiweertje
Replied by mooiweertje on topic expressLRS
Installed faea251 in T8 and c80836 ELRS on TX and it seems to work fine. I expect to fly again tomorrow.
Last edit: 30 Jan 2022 14:15 by mooiweertje.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jan 2022 05:10 #77770 by hexfet
Replied by hexfet on topic expressLRS
Thanks again for all the testing! Test build is updated - dc48a24 . Did some code cleanup, and tested Crossfire again to make sure it worked. Which it didn't so had to track that down.

With the changes in the current crsf_elrs branch PR (and the ELRS PR) the serial link is solid at 1.87Mbps, packet rate 500Hz works, and model match is working. The only thing left on my list is to do something with the ELRS info message. At least show the model mismatch error on the config pages, maybe elsewhere. Open to suggestions.

More
31 Jan 2022 10:49 #77771 by mooiweertje
Maybe in the telemetry data?

More
31 Jan 2022 13:41 #77774 by mooiweertje
On dc48a24 and faea251. When I restart the T8 I have to "re-init" before the TX menu appears and the connection between TX&RX is not established until I enter the menu. When I "re-init" a second time the menu disappears and never comes back.

6659b95 is the last that seems to work properly from my point of view.

More
31 Jan 2022 23:35 #77775 by hexfet
Really appreciate the thorough testing! Test build is updated - 2ef012c . The Re-Init button causes a complete restart of the protocol and that causes some issues syncing up with the ELRS module. I'm not sure there's a good reason to have this function in CRSF so I removed it for now. That makes the button read "Bind" which is not ideal. Clicking on it does nothing. It wouldn't be correct to tie it to the TX Bind parameter command as that's a dialog and should be done through the device parameter page.

I'm not sure why the RX sometimes doesn't show up on the config page. Maybe it's still connecting when the device ping is sent. I added a device ping once a second while on the config page where previously only a single initial ping was sent. This will also handle the case where a device becomes active at any later time.

I like the idea of putting the model mismatch alert in the telemetry. Maybe combined with the connection status that's reported in the same message as the model mismatch error. One design issue is that the handset has to ask the TX for that message and that probably should be avoided in flight as it would replace a stick command packet. Plus it'd be difficult to take off with mismatched model :) I could use AUX1 to stop sending the poll message when armed, but then would the telemetry still be useful? In opentx/edgetx the polling is only done while the LUA script is running.

Another possibility would be to pop up a warning dialog on the screen when a model mismatch is detected. Still probably only want to poll the status while disarmed.

More
01 Feb 2022 11:30 - 01 Feb 2022 12:07 #77777 by mooiweertje
So now with 2ef012c there is no "re-init" button so it doesn't work at all anymore. With the previous megabaud version I could re-init and it would work as long as the T8 stays on and re-init is not pressed a second time.
Now when I turn on the T8 sometimes it connects to the RX and then after a few seconds disconnects again. The menu doesn't show.
What does the bind button do?
Last edit: 01 Feb 2022 12:07 by mooiweertje.

More
01 Feb 2022 11:50 - 01 Feb 2022 12:05 #77778 by mooiweertje
When I install 6659b95 and set packet-rate lower than 500 I can install the 2ef012c and it works. As soon as I set it to 500 again the connection to TX and RX get lost. I have to overwrite the 2ef012c with a previous version to get ELRS going again.
Last edit: 01 Feb 2022 12:05 by mooiweertje.

More
01 Feb 2022 11:56 #77779 by mooiweertje
For modelmismatch a popup would do I guess.

More
01 Feb 2022 13:05 #77780 by mooiweertje
I'm still using my ELRS local build of the #1372 pull request for the TX but not RX. Is that ok?
I see it has been merged into master.

More
01 Feb 2022 13:42 #77781 by hexfet
Yes, it's fine to keep using that local build. No changes were needed in the RX.

Seems there's a problem at 500Hz, the one thing I can't test with my 900MHz module. Maybe I can enable 500Hz in a local build for testing.

To be sure I understand the issue, with 2ef012c the connection is lost immediately after changing to 500Hz in the CRSF device page in the T8? If you use 6659b95 to change the packet rate to 500Hz then upgrade to 2ef012c, does it work as long as you don't go into the CRSF config page or just not work even right after power up?

In 2ef012c the Bind button doesn't do anything.

More
01 Feb 2022 14:31 - 01 Feb 2022 15:42 #77783 by mooiweertje
On 500Hz the 2ef012c doesn't work.

1. Set 250Hz with previous version.
2. Flash 2ef012c
3. Reboot T8
4. Connect RX, all working, RX led solid green.
5. Cursor to packet rate. all working, RX led solid green.
6. Use left and right keys to move around on values, 50-500Hz, keep 500Hz. All working, RX led solid green.
7. Use up down keys to move cursor away from packet rate. RX led NOT solid green but blinking.
8. Move around ELRS menu seems to work.
9. Cursor to packet rate. RX led NOT solid green but blinking.
10. Use left light keys to move around on values, 50-500Hz, keep 250Hz. RX led NOT solid green but blinking.
11. Use up down keys to move cursor away from packet rate. RX led NOT solid green but blinking.
12. Move around ELRS menu seems to work. RX led NOT solid green but blinking.
13. Leaving ELRS menu, ELRS menu is gone. RX led NOT solid green but blinking.
14. Reboot T8. Sometimes it connects to the RX and then after a few seconds disconnects again. RX led is sometimes solid for a few seconds but then blinking.
15. Checking ELRS menu, ELRS menu is gone.
16. ELRS not working anymore and only fix is to flash previous version.
Last edit: 01 Feb 2022 15:42 by mooiweertje.

More
01 Feb 2022 16:23 #77784 by mooiweertje
On 500Hz the 2ef012c doesn't work.

1. Set 500Hz with previous version.
2. Flash 2ef012c
3. Reboot T8
4. Sometimes it connects to the RX and then after a few seconds disconnects again. RX led is sometimes solid for a few seconds but then blinking.
5. Checking ELRS menu, ELRS menu is gone.
6. ELRS not working anymore and only fix is to flash previous version.

More
01 Feb 2022 18:34 #77785 by hexfet
Thanks, this is all great information.

When the RX LED is blinking it is green? What is the flash pattern? Slow steady, fast steady, some number of flashes then a pause, etc?

More
01 Feb 2022 18:38 - 01 Feb 2022 18:42 #77786 by mooiweertje
The same rithm as when I turn off the transmitter and RX loses connection. Slow steady.
Last edit: 01 Feb 2022 18:42 by mooiweertje.

More
02 Feb 2022 04:03 #77787 by hexfet
Test build available - 7d14d15 . This has some test code to compensate for a small packet timing change. That's the main suspect I found by comparing 2ef012c and 6659b95, although it's so small I don't think it could be the problem but we'll see. One other piece of debug code in the build is a beep on serial data errors. If the T8 starts chirping that's what it is.

As you noticed when you change a parameter the new value is only sent to the TX when navigating away from the selector. When I change the packet rate more than half the time the receiver disconnects, sometimes taking several seconds before reconnecting. Do you see that same behavior if switching between working lower packet rates, like 25 to 250? Wondering if both radios behave the same.

More
02 Feb 2022 11:02 #77788 by mooiweertje
I installed 7d14d15 and it seems to work perfectly on 500Hz and all other packet rates. I have voice audio so I'm not sure I would hear chirping?

One issue I noticed is that the TX doesn't reconnect to the RX when booted with throttle high.

1. install 7d14d15.
2. Throttle low.
3. Boot T8
4. TX connects to RX, RX led solid.
5. All works well.

1. install 7d14d15.
2. Throttle mid-high..
3. Boot T8. RX led blinking slow.
4. Ch3 is high warning pops up. RX led blinking slow.
5. Lower throttle, popup disappears. RX led blinking slow.
6. ELRS menu gone.
5. Need reboot T8 with throttle low to connect.

Another issue I noticed that in 1 scenario the telemetry didn't work but RX was connected. No RSSI nothing. I can try to reproduce that again later.

More
02 Feb 2022 14:58 - 02 Feb 2022 16:28 #77789 by mooiweertje
I flew 4 lipos on quads this afternoon with 7d14d15. During the third flight the connection dropped twice (failsafe) and rebooting T8 reestablished the connection.

Sometimes when I reboot the T8 and go into the ELRS menu package rate shows 250 while 500 is selected. After reboot 500Hz usually shows again and sometimes after reboot shows 250Hz.
Last edit: 02 Feb 2022 16:28 by mooiweertje.

More
02 Feb 2022 16:26 #77790 by mooiweertje
When switching between packet rates I get RSSI telemetry warnings. So it seems that connection is gone/weak for a moment but not seconds I guess. The RX led stays solid.

I have flashing menu buildup. When I enter the ELRS menu the menu flashes a few times. The lower the packet rate the more often the menu flashes.

More
02 Feb 2022 16:37 #77791 by hexfet
That's good news! Guess it makes sense that 500Hz is more sensitive to timing. Though the timing correction values coming from the TX are larger now than before the change, though now positive instead of negative.

Voice support is not required for the beeps.

When the throttle warning is active at power-up Deviation doesn't start the protocol code until the warning is cleared. I'm not sure why that would affect the TX connecting to the RX. Unfortunately I cannot replicate this behavior with my ES900 modules. As long as I drop the throttle to zero before the devices go into wifi mode, the TX and RX connect and RX shows solid green. Maybe there's some difference between 2.4 and 900 here.

Can you see the RGB LED on the TX? What is it's behavior? On mine it's flashing orange until I drop the throttle, then turns solid blue at the same time the RX LED goes solid.

There is a difference between opentx/edgetx handsets and Deviation handsets here. The opentx/edgetx devices have control over the power to the external module, and do not apply power until all power-on safety warnings have been cleared. With the Jumper handsets the firmware can't control the power and the module is powered up when the radio is turned on. Not clear how that might play a part.

More
02 Feb 2022 16:56 - 02 Feb 2022 16:58 #77792 by mooiweertje
I asked about voice because when I have voice enabled I never hear any beeps. I assume the beeper is disabled.

The high throttle on boot issue only occurs on 250 and 500Hz. On 50 and 150Hz it behaves normally.

I have RGB on the TX that behaves the same as yours. When I keep high throttle it will go into wifi mode and the led turns green. When I boot with low throttle WiFi mode doesn't enable.

I have looked at OpenTX once and I think it sucks so any OpenTX remark doesn't mean a thing to me.
Last edit: 02 Feb 2022 16:58 by mooiweertje.

Time to create page: 0.088 seconds