In search of the ultimate Devo7E

More
10 Apr 2016 19:55 #46289 by FDR
Replied by FDR on topic In search of the ultimate Devo7E
Though I see your points, and those are even valid, it would mean that we loose compatibility with the stock firmwares.
While it might not bother you, if I were a newbee, and that would mean it is no way back to stock, I would definitely not dare to try deviation...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Apr 2016 20:04 #46290 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic In search of the ultimate Devo7E
What is wrong with the DeviationUploader?
While some users apparaently have issues going back and forth, it is certainly cross-platform, and generally has worked for anyone who has approached me about it.

The problem with any bootloader ther than the stock one is that it would take some effort to get the screen functional. That might not sound important, but on a transmitter like this, wondering whether it is functional or not, it is reassuring to see a familiar logo giving you assurance things can be made right again.

I think there is nothing really wrong with the stock bootloader. On the 7e/f7 the one benefit of a different one would be smaller size. squeezing another 4kb (or even 8kb) would be a huge win for those transmitters. But I don't think I could convince people to change their bootloader (while I can provide a ROM to upgrade the bootloader, it could easily result in a bricked Tx if used improperly). Expecting users to have an STLink is probably too much to ask.

More
10 Apr 2016 20:48 #46293 by Fernandez
Replied by Fernandez on topic In search of the ultimate Devo7E
endless discussions about the 7e, myself i would Vote deviation V5 is last release for the 7e.

Continuation to be for the ultimate 7e, solder a new CPU in and have the new ultimate 7e part of the new builds and developments.

Any rooky can use V5 on 7e as is, tweaker can go for the ultimate 7e and be part of future developments, with some clear instructions how to do it and how upload the new bootloader, many of us will do it......

It seems that the 7e problem is slowing down deviation development.

More
11 Apr 2016 10:38 #46310 by silpstream
Replied by silpstream on topic In search of the ultimate Devo7E
I just sent up a PR at GitHub to add devo7e_256 and devo7e_512 as targets. Any chance of this being accepted? :unsure:

Also working on a tutorial for the processor upgrade. Will report back when done.

More
11 Apr 2016 11:17 #46311 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic In search of the ultimate Devo7E
The only thing wrong with DeviationUploader is the dependency on libusb, which limits what platforms it can run on. Since it doesn't get me off of a VM, I haven't switched off my working Windows VM. Well, assuming it has a command line mode - I haven't looked for that.

Do we use the Walkera bootloader to enable the screen? I played some with an alternate bootloader for the 7E, and just punted on turning on the screen in it, as it's just a fixed image.

As for going back - since we have the Walkera boot loaders (or most of them?), we ought to be able to go back. We might even be able to go both ways in a two-step shuffle with a dfu loader as the transmitter firmware, then use that to replace the walkera bootloader.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
11 Apr 2016 11:29 #46313 by silpstream
Replied by silpstream on topic In search of the ultimate Devo7E

mwm wrote: The only thing wrong with DeviationUploader is the dependency on libusb, which limits what platforms it can run on.

I've been using DeviationUploader v0.8 on OSX so I assume that it also works for Linux. Problems only started after upgrading my processor. DeviationUploader doesn't play well with the new processor using zip file uploads. I haven't tried it's DFU based upload, but instead have been using Walkera dfuse v2.3 on a VM to get things going.

More
11 Apr 2016 21:41 #46328 by HappyHarry
Replied by HappyHarry on topic In search of the ultimate Devo7E
yeah it works perfectly in linux, and it does have command line useage, that's the only way i ever used it tbh

Time to create page: 0.039 seconds