In search of the ultimate Devo7E

More
19 Jun 2015 04:48 #34340 by greenfly
Replied by greenfly on topic In search of the ultimate Devo7E
Just added my cheap Banggood 3-position switches today.

One piece of advice, make your hole from the front to the back. Yes I know you have to kinda guess where to start, but if you try from the back, it has adhesive that can really make a mess of your hole. Don't ask me how I know. :unsure:

I just used a 1/4 inch drill bit and went very slowly.... it's a pretty thin piece of aluminum.

Anyway, my main complaint with the cheap chinese switch is that they are not that long.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jun 2015 21:03 #34376 by robca
Replied by robca on topic In search of the ultimate Devo7E
If you remove the existing switch, you can also push the metal cover from the back. If you push with the "tail" of the drill bit the adhesive slowly gives way.

then you can print a new cover (or leave it without, the black plastic looks nice anyway)

More
19 Jun 2015 21:27 #34380 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic In search of the ultimate Devo7E
On the 1st one, I pre-drilled with a small (1/16" or so) bit from the back , then used a 1/4" bit from the front That gives accurate placement of the hole without marring the panel. I'll probably do the same on this one once my switches come in.

More
20 Jun 2015 00:51 #34386 by PhracturedBlue
I've confirmed that Both PA0 and PA4 are unconected on the Devo7e, so in the interest fo creating the 'ultimate' 7e, I thin kI may try to hook up analog inputs to these. I need to figure out where I want to mount the dials...

More
20 Jun 2015 19:06 #34415 by robocog
Replied by robocog on topic In search of the ultimate Devo7E
Good news PB
Watching this thread like a hawk...
(not that I have the skills to go this far...yet)

Regards
Rob

More
20 Jun 2015 22:37 #34421 by PhracturedBlue
Well, I got a bit ahead of myself. Without actually testing the analog dials, I decided to see how they'd fit in the case (after all, looks are everything):

I'll take better pictures once I have it wired and assembled. I stole the dials and pots from my old WK2603. I'm thinking about replacing the original 2-way switches with 3-way switches as well. It should be possible to hook up 2 more digital inputs, and this is the 'Ultimate 7e' thread after all. I'll probably wait until I have the dials working 1st though.
Attachments:

More
20 Jun 2015 23:00 #34423 by aMax
Replied by aMax on topic In search of the ultimate Devo7E
Yes Sir,
the 7e now established an unique and unchangeable character, simply amazing... :woohoo:
Is there enough room to swap the inner switches with the pots?

Devo7e, TaranisQ X7, R9M , 4in1 MM, Futaba FC18plusV3.2 & DFT/FLD-02

More
20 Jun 2015 23:16 #34424 by PhracturedBlue
I would guess so if you cut out the switch holders inside the Tx. The main problem will be finding a potentiometer that has the right shaft length that has a short enough body to fit in the case. By mounting where I have, there is a lot of room, so mounting is quite flexible.

More
20 Jun 2015 23:53 - 21 Jun 2015 00:07 #34426 by aMax
Replied by aMax on topic In search of the ultimate Devo7E
Something like this should fit....but I don't have the exact dimensions at the moment.
Edit: ..sorry only german, but...

Achs-Ø 6.35 mm (axel)
Gewinde-Länge 9.5 mm (thread length)
Länge 12.7 mm (length)
Breite 12.7 mm (width)
Höhe 11.4 mm (height)
(10 kΩ , linear)

Devo7e, TaranisQ X7, R9M , 4in1 MM, Futaba FC18plusV3.2 & DFT/FLD-02
Attachments:
Last edit: 21 Jun 2015 00:07 by aMax.

More
21 Jun 2015 00:14 #34428 by RedSleds
Replied by RedSleds on topic In search of the ultimate Devo7E

aMax wrote: Something like this should fit....but I don't have the exact dimensions at the moment.
Edit: ..sorry only german, but...

Achs-Ø 6.35 mm (axel)
Gewinde-Länge 9.5 mm (thread length)
Länge 12.7 mm (length)
Breite 12.7 mm (width)
Höhe 11.4 mm (height)
(10 kΩ , linear)

Shaft-Ø 6.35mm (axel) = 0.25"
Thread length 9.5 mm (thread length) = 0.386"
Length 12.7 mm (length) = 0.5"
Width 12.7 mm (width) = 0.5"
Height 11.4 mm (height) = 0.449"

DEVO 10 - Multi-module with nRF24L01 +PA +LNA, A7105 +PA, & CC2500 +PA +LNA transceivers.
Nightly Build: v4.0.1-548bbf5 (6/9/2015)

More
21 Jun 2015 00:18 #34429 by PhracturedBlue
FYI, before people get too excited, adding analog dials is not an easy mod. it requires soldering directly to the mcu in an area that is reasonably space constrained. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to do it without making a mess.

More
21 Jun 2015 11:59 - 21 Jun 2015 12:06 #34441 by SadSack
Replied by SadSack on topic In search of the ultimate Devo7E

PhracturedBlue wrote: FYI, before people get too excited, adding analog dials is not an easy mod. it requires soldering directly to the mcu in an area that is reasonably space constrained. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to do it without making a mess.

Could pins PA0 / PA4 be straighten out before you solder down mcu? Don't bend them back, likely to break.
Ok not help you now but if pull apart old brushed motor you will have some fine gauge mag wire.
Other way would be to long winded Copper foil, etching. I once put ISP pads on QFN Atmega 8 and worked ;-)

Tip
Gently flatten end of the mag wire, scape it once to see bright copper. Then max out soldering iron and pre tin end. If your lucky should hold enough solder too solder too mcu leg.
Good luck!
Last edit: 21 Jun 2015 12:06 by SadSack.

More
21 Jun 2015 12:21 - 21 Jun 2015 12:24 #34444 by SadSack
Last edit: 21 Jun 2015 12:24 by SadSack.

More
21 Jun 2015 12:59 #34448 by PhracturedBlue
yeah, I'd probably have lifted the legs before soldering, had I had forethought. I do have 30AWG magnet wire (maybe even some 35AWG). It is plenty smallI. Getting it to the pins and keeping it there while I solder is the issue.

I don't think cheap tools are the answers here. If someone buys those tools without knowing how to use them, they'll destroy their board. I would guess that most people who know how to use them, already have the equipment they'd need.

More
21 Jun 2015 13:51 #34452 by SadSack
Replied by SadSack on topic In search of the ultimate Devo7E
I don't disagree with you :)

That said there was I time I used a gas soldering iron. One of the better ones with ceramic heat exchangers. Biggest issue I had wasn't very high temp but the rapid temp change. Once I slowly raised temp. To help used grease type flux. Heat till flux goes glossy but not liquid wait while then slowly rise temp till liquid and then check to see if part moves. Got good at it that didn't need flux.

something to think on with...
If you happy to lose mcu all ready fitted? You could just use soldering iron to lift legs a few at a time. Could even just cut legs with blade but would risk cutting traces. Then use soldering iron fit new mcu.

BUT YOU NEED PERFECT ALIGNMENT OF MCU BEFORE SOLDERING ALL PINS!! you'll need blower to move it

More
21 Jun 2015 15:38 #34454 by Daryoon
Replied by Daryoon on topic In search of the ultimate Devo7E

RoGuE_StreaK wrote:

PhracturedBlue wrote: 1) Replace the MCU with a STM32F103RCT6. This will give my 7e 256k FLASH and 48K RAM (smae as a devo10)

Is this the one? ebay US$2.10 shipped

PhracturedBlue wrote: Daryoon posted some links on RCGroups...

Daryoon seems to have become the 7E god, hadn't looked into the 7E in a while and stumbled across his thread yesterday; well over 230 pages worth! :ohmy:

god? LOL...god no. Just sharing all the good works from the Deviation developers to the rest of the world. Free up the people who actually doing the development from producing cool stuff like the Universal module. ;)

Watching this thread with great interest. The Devo 7e continue to be the best entry level radio. And really the only radio with it's capability in that size.

-Daryoon

More
22 Jun 2015 04:23 #34492 by RoGuE_StreaK
Replied by RoGuE_StreaK on topic In search of the ultimate Devo7E
Just to throw a feline amongst the avians, how about a rotary encoder with built-in pushbutton? They go for like a buck-fiddy... :kiss:

More
22 Jun 2015 10:19 #34502 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic In search of the ultimate Devo7E

Daryoon wrote: And really the only radio with it's capability in that size.

So what can the 7e do that the 6s can't? Other than be upgraded to be more like a 6s?

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
22 Jun 2015 12:23 #34513 by PhracturedBlue
No need to be so literal. I don't know that the 6s is actually available any more, and certainly not available at the same price point. The 6s is a great little radio for sure, but I've only found a handful of them in use. The 7e shows what a $50 Tx can be (I just wish they'd made it $55 and added the extra things it needs to be truly great).

More
22 Jun 2015 14:25 #34525 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic In search of the ultimate Devo7E
I'm not being literal, I'm trying to avoid disinformation. I see a lot of people who seem to think that the 7E has a unique form factor. That people don't know there's an option that avoids a lot of the issues with the 7E may be one of the reasons it's always been hard to find, or, as you say, unavailable now.

And yeah, having a 6S, I think I'd rather have the 7E display - especially if I could get it for 1/3rd the price of the 6S. That color display is unreadable in sunlight, and the touch screen is enough of a PITA that I notice where deviation falls short of providing full functionality via the buttons.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

Time to create page: 0.073 seconds