In search of the ultimate Devo7E

More
22 Jun 2015 17:27 #34536 by SadSack
Replied by SadSack on topic In search of the ultimate Devo7E
You know you want to!

Q: don't 6s and 8s share same mcu?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jun 2015 18:14 #34537 by grnd flyr
Replied by grnd flyr on topic In search of the ultimate Devo7E

SadSack wrote: You know you want to!

I do... where/how did you come up with the new sticker? Kewl...

More
22 Jun 2015 20:32 - 22 Jun 2015 20:33 #34541 by blackmoon
Replied by blackmoon on topic In search of the ultimate Devo7E
I'm on to replace the MCU on my second devo7E, but where can I download the bootloader ?

The link below only explains how to do it.

Thank you.

PhracturedBlue wrote: That is unlikely. The number of users willing to do this mod would be really small. If you are capable of upgrading the MCU, then you are capable of installing the build system and building the update :)

Note to anyone considering this: It isn't as easy as just replacing the MCU. You also need a way to install the bootloader. I use a STLink/V2 (~ $25). You can get chinese no-name SWD programmers for ~$10 from ebay though.

It isn't hard; I just documented the procedure here:
www.deviationtx.com/forum/6-general-disc...-7e-bootloader#34250
But it is an additional expense.

Last edit: 22 Jun 2015 20:33 by blackmoon.

More
26 Jun 2015 05:11 #34661 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic In search of the ultimate Devo7E
Well, I finished the hardware mods for now.
I've added the 2 SPDT switches, along with 2 analog POTs. I don't have a UniversalTx board ready yet, so that'll have to wait. Figuring out how to connect to the analog pins took a lot longer than it should have. I stupidly thought it would be easier to do with the hot-air gun. I also thought using my #45 AWG wire would make it easier. After a lot of trying different things, I found a technique that was pretty easy:

1) using a medium ball-tip iron (~ same width as the MCU pins) add extra solder to the MCU pins in question (but don't bridge them)
2) strip about 1 to 2mm off of some #34 AWG magnet wire (soldering iron works well for this)
3) bend tip of wire at 45-degree angle
4) using microscope, get wire close to MCU. touch iron to MCU pin, and touch magnet wire to MCU pin. remove iron and hold until cool.
5) Add hot-glue to hold magnet wire in place (I actually reheated the hot glue with my hot-air gun to get better adhesion

It isn't much fun, but the connection is good, and there are no shorts.

Here are some images of the inside of my box. Taking good pictures of the magnet wire connections is beyond my ability. The box is getting a little crowded too.

I haven't done the software programming needed to enable everything yet. I am not sure if the analog dials can be supported via hardware.ini. the 7e is so tight on space, I am not sure if there is room for the additional logic.

I can't post the 7e bootloader, but PM me, and I can point you in the right direction.
Attachments:

More
26 Jun 2015 08:35 #34666 by Fernandez
Replied by Fernandez on topic In search of the ultimate Devo7E
Nothing wrong with that wiring, I would have done it the same way.

More
26 Jun 2015 16:50 #34691 by Cereal_Killer
Replied by Cereal_Killer on topic In search of the ultimate Devo7E
Could you post a link to the POT's you used? I bought a pair off ebay last week, they got here the other day and they're way to large...

Taranis X9E | DEVO 10 | Devo U7E | Taranis Q7

What I do in real life: rivergoequestrian.com/

More
26 Jun 2015 16:57 #34693 by PhracturedBlue
nope. I scavenged them out of a WK2603. I looked around beforehand, and I did find these:
www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__3951...ansmitter_3set_.html

I am not sure how big they are though. I guess I can crack open my 9XR and see what they look like. I'll do so when I get home.

More
26 Jun 2015 18:57 - 27 Jun 2015 01:42 #34694 by Cereal_Killer
Thanks for the link, I went ahead and ordered, they're WAY smaller than the set I got from ebay so hopefully they'll fit.

I'm not sure where I can find room tho!
File Attachment:

How well does the universal module fit in there?

Edit: I'm already anxious, about how long does it take stuff to get here from HK's China warehouse when you used the cheapest shipping?

Last edit: 27 Jun 2015 01:42 by Cereal_Killer.

More
26 Jun 2015 20:27 - 26 Jun 2015 20:33 #34698 by aMax
Replied by aMax on topic In search of the ultimate Devo7E

Cereal_Killer wrote: Thanks for the link, I went ahead and ordered, they're WAY smaller than the set I got from ebay so hopefully they'll fit.
I'm not sure where I can find room tho!

What about this place....
It's a 5K pot of a Futaba servo.

Edit:
Anyone with Taranis?
What are the dimensions of these ones....only the body, not the plate.
www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__5589...de_Slider_2pcs_.html

Devo7e, TaranisQ X7, R9M , 4in1 MM, Futaba FC18plusV3.2 & DFT/FLD-02
Attachments:
Last edit: 26 Jun 2015 20:33 by aMax.

More
27 Jun 2015 21:47 - 27 Jun 2015 21:48 #34770 by PhracturedBlue
I checked my 9XR today.
the shoulder pots are 13mm round with the wires coming out the back.
The dial pots are rectangular (~10mmx12mm)
Either of these should fit fine in the 7e.
The shoulder pots shown at Hobby-King look like the ones that are used for the dials on my 9xr.
The dial pots shown at Hobby King look more like the Walkera pots I used.
My guess is any of these would fit though. The shoulder pots generally have only a ~60-degree throw, whereas dial pots are more likely to be 270 degrees.

Cereal_Killer: With your antennas mounted that way, you can't mount the pots as ears like I did. you could either mount them on the shoulders as aMax shows, or you could mount them where the buzzer is (beside or replacing the logo on the front) underneath the modules you have now. There is quite a bit of room under the buzzer panel.
Last edit: 27 Jun 2015 21:48 by PhracturedBlue.

More
29 Jun 2015 02:41 #34816 by PhracturedBlue
I want to reiterate that adding analog dials without also upgrading the MCU may not work. I am not sure if there is extra room in the code. The custom version of Deviation I'm building to add the extra dials will hard code the number of analog inputs, and will only support the 256k MCU

Today I ran into another problem. Since my 'Ultimate 7e' is complete (for now) I tried to install the custom firmware on it. Unfortuantely, I forgot that the devo7e bootloader identifies the chip capabilities. Specifically, that the chip only has 128kB of ROM. I have tried to hack the bootloader, but I've been unable to find the code I'm looking for. I've tried installing a custom dfu bootloader, but so far no luck either. So I'm still working on enabling my 'ultimate' 7e...

More
29 Jun 2015 05:15 #34818 by SeByDocKy
Replied by SeByDocKy on topic In search of the ultimate Devo7E

PhracturedBlue wrote: I want to reiterate that adding analog dials without also upgrading the MCU may not work. I am not sure if there is extra room in the code. The custom version of Deviation I'm building to add the extra dials will hard code the number of analog inputs, and will only support the 256k MCU

Today I ran into another problem. Since my 'Ultimate 7e' is complete (for now) I tried to install the custom firmware on it. Unfortuantely, I forgot that the devo7e bootloader identifies the chip capabilities. Specifically, that the chip only has 128kB of ROM. I have tried to hack the bootloader, but I've been unable to find the code I'm looking for. I've tried installing a custom dfu bootloader, but so far no luck either. So I'm still working on enabling my 'ultimate' 7e...

To replace the MCU, it should be very complex task I guess ....

More
29 Jun 2015 05:40 #34819 by Cereal_Killer

PhracturedBlue wrote: I want to reiterate that adding analog dials without also upgrading the MCU may not work. I am not sure if there is extra room in the code. The custom version of Deviation I'm building to add the extra dials will hard code the number of analog inputs, and will only support the 256k MCU

I know you're speaking in general, and not talking directly to me, but I'm gonna install the two POT's and am still going ahead with my http://www.deviationtx.com/forum/7-development/4442-extra-inputs-for-devo-tx-s in the mean time. I've got the MCU's, I've got the ST-link V2 and I'll have the POT's soon. Once they get here I'll deal with temporarily adding the POT's using the ATTiny84 ADC to PPM converter thingy but I'm still VERY interested in the "ultimate 7E" project and will be ready to jump on board just as soon as you have the first aplha / beta release ready for us!

Thanks for finding a renewed interest in the 7E development man, lots of us really appreciate it!!

More
29 Jun 2015 06:10 #34821 by PhracturedBlue
Well, after many hours of effort, I was able to hack the 7e bootloader to support 256k Flash.
It turns out that the RAM initialization is compressed in the bootloader. This makes it difficult to search for strings. My guess is that this is not some sort of encryption/obfuscation, but instead is a capability of the compiler when aggressive optimizations are enabled.
The compression scheme is simple, it basically has 3 modes:
1) copy from ROM to RAM
2) zero bytes in RAM
3) copy from RAM to RAM

The trick was to find a sequence which decoded the same way and used the same number of bytes (since there is no way to change the size of the byte array). I got lucky, and found that by changing the right 3 bytes, I could change the memory size from 116k to 244k. I then verified that I could use the new bootloader to upload an image >128k in size, and everything worked.

So my 7e is now back in business :) I have the 'ultimate' firmware built, but I forgot to enable the ADC for the pots, so while they show in the menu, they don't actually work yet. I'll fix that tomorrow, but for now I'm done for tonight.

More
29 Jun 2015 15:39 - 29 Jun 2015 15:39 #34836 by blackmoon
Impressive work as always [unpacking spare devo7E...] :cheer:

Maybe I'll finally settle on selling my 10 when the UniTX and the ultimate firmware are ready, and I can do all these mods to the spare 7E. I've grown fond of my 7E, so much that I barely touch the 10.
Last edit: 29 Jun 2015 15:39 by blackmoon.

More
29 Jun 2015 17:10 #34843 by PhracturedBlue
Here it is:

The code is checked into the 'devo7e_256k' branch

I may someday do the LED mod that SadSack has, and I'll definitely add the UniversalTx once it is ready. Otherwise, it is now a nice little transmitter.

More
29 Jun 2015 17:37 #34846 by SeByDocKy
Replied by SeByDocKy on topic In search of the ultimate Devo7E
For me it's clear, if we can have 256ko and potsn the universal TX board, the Devo 7E format is perfect for me

More
29 Jun 2015 17:57 - 29 Jun 2015 17:58 #34853 by blackmoon
I didn't understood that the UTX wasn't mandatory! Now I'm thinking to do the mod to my regular 7E, I'll check if I can squeeze the pots as I have the MultiModule on the TX's upper side. Now where did I put my old 2603...
Last edit: 29 Jun 2015 17:58 by blackmoon.

More
29 Jun 2015 22:56 - 29 Jun 2015 23:02 #34863 by grnd flyr
Replied by grnd flyr on topic In search of the ultimate Devo7E
Forgive my ignorance but what is the difference between the UTX & MultiModule v1.3 (supposed to arrive in a couple days)? Also curious for any pics of the MultiModule all hooked up, i.e. mounting location...

PhracturedBlue, fwiw... I found that post from SadSack where he described how he went about it. I ended up using ~ 400 grit mesh paper, swimming in mineral spirits, polished with toothpaste & microfiber washcloth. Worked pretty well... Any offense to using:

DEVO 7E
d e v i a t e d

in stead of deviation? I sure want to give credit where it's due, and much thanks for all the time and effort you and everyone else here has put into this. I just can't wait to turn my 7E for the first time! :woohoo:

[EDIT] OH, forgot a question... think I remember someone, somewhere mentioning adding red LEDs with them hooked up to the piezo alarm. Anyone have pics of that mod?
Last edit: 29 Jun 2015 23:02 by grnd flyr. Reason: forgetsees

More
29 Jun 2015 23:48 - 29 Jun 2015 23:53 #34864 by PhracturedBlue
In the links section on the left. there is now a link to all of the bootloaders I have (including the devo7e_256 variant). I also added all of the legacy firmware files I have since Walkera is making it difficult to locate them these days
Last edit: 29 Jun 2015 23:53 by PhracturedBlue.

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds