In search of the ultimate Devo7E

More
06 Apr 2016 02:11 - 06 Apr 2016 02:16 #45890 by silpstream
Replied by silpstream on topic In search of the ultimate Devo7E
@HappyHarry, that one works.

As PB mentioned in his other post, you'll want to hook up the five pins on your 7e board as: RST, SWDIO (TMS), SWCLK (TCK), GND, 3.3V.

RES and VDD are marked on you 7e PCB.

@PhracturedBlue, given the small price difference between the RC and RE processors, I swapped out to the RE (just 3 days ago, still experimenting). However I've been using the boot loader that you modified for 256K (both 128k and 256k boot loaders work). Could you possibly point me in the right direction for making the software mods to get to 512k?

Thanks!
Last edit: 06 Apr 2016 02:16 by silpstream.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Apr 2016 07:54 #45898 by HappyHarry
Replied by HappyHarry on topic In search of the ultimate Devo7E
thanks for the confirmation :)

More
06 Apr 2016 16:09 #45934 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic In search of the ultimate Devo7E
I'm not sure what differences the bootloader has, but your changes will be in src/target/devo7e, or a copy of it.

target_defs.h is where you turn features on and off, so you can go throgh and turn on things for it:
  1. turn on HAS_DATALOG, HAS_SCANNER (I think) and HAS_LAYOUT_EDITOR.
  2. turn off NO_LANGUAGE_SUPPORT
  3. Maybe up NUM_TRIMS to 8

You'll want to change the two .ld files to set the rom and ram lengths for the new CPU. You may need to set the ORIGIN values as well ,depending on the boot loader.

You can delete the MODULAR line in Makefile.inc, which will switch over to building the protocols into the flash. If you do that, you'll need to deal with them in the filesystem as well. If you don't,

If you copy the devo7E directory, add the new directory to the txs in src/Makefile.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
06 Apr 2016 17:16 - 06 Apr 2016 17:17 #45946 by silpstream
@mwm, thanks for the extra input! Much appreciated.

Here's what I did:
1) Replaced processor with a STM32F103RET6 and uploaded devo7e_256 boot loader using st-linkv2.
2) Replaced flash with SST25VF032B since I was already replacing smd devices.
3) Forked deviationtx/deviation to my own repository ( bitbucket.org/silpstream/deviation )
4) Created a new branch "devote_512k"
5) Modified target/devo7e/target_defs.h
6) Modified target/devo7e/devo7e.ld
7) Modified target/devo7e/devo7e_opt.ld
8) Modified target/devo7e/makefile.inc
9) Built using mwm's docker based toolchain ( www.deviationtx.com/forum/7-development/...r-building-deviation )
10) Uploaded dfu file using walkera fuse tool 2.31 on windows 10 (Deviation Uploader will not work for the 7e with larger processor for some reason)
11) Connected in USB mode to format the new 4mb flash with FAT32 and uploaded filesystem

Everything works great.

A few questions:
1) In target/devo7e/target_defs.h, I set SPIFLASH_SECTOR_OFFSET to 54 (same as devo8). It works and I understand why the larger sector size, but I don't understand why there is a offset for the larger flash.
2) I used the 256k version boot loader that PB created and I'm under the impression that the boot loader limits the file size flashed on to the processor ( www.deviationtx.com/forum/6-general-disc...evo7e?start=40#34816 ). While everything works for now, I'm probably not going to be able to use the full 512K until the boot loader is modified or gotten rid of. Any chance for a 512K version or instructions that I can follow to modify the 256k version boot loader to work for 512k?

Thanks again everyone!
Last edit: 06 Apr 2016 17:17 by silpstream.

More
07 Apr 2016 21:19 #46070 by ursus69
Replied by ursus69 on topic In search of the ultimate Devo7E
One question..
If I change the MCu with the STM32F103RCT6, after that....need to do anything more? Or Devo recognize it?

Thanks!

More
08 Apr 2016 01:48 #46087 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic In search of the ultimate Devo7E

silpstream wrote: A few questions:
1) In target/devo7e/target_defs.h, I set SPIFLASH_SECTOR_OFFSET to 54 (same as devo8). It works and I understand why the larger sector size, but I don't understand why there is a offset for the larger flash.
2) I used the 256k version boot loader that PB created and I'm under the impression that the boot loader limits the file size flashed on to the processor ( www.deviationtx.com/forum/6-general-disc...evo7e?start=40#34816 ). While everything works for now, I'm probably not going to be able to use the full 512K until the boot loader is modified or gotten rid of. Any chance for a 512K version or instructions that I can follow to modify the 256k version boot loader to work for 512k?

the offset is to preserve the Devo8 boot sector and the bmp image shown during programming. Sicne we have lots of SPI flash, there was no reason to skimp. For you, there is no reason for an offset at all.

What are you planning to do with the extra 256kB? I've never even filled up my Devo8. You can't use the extra space for anything other than C code, so unless you plan to write a bunch more, I'm not sure wjat you'll gain.

As far as the bootloader goes, I don't remember what I did, but luckily I documented it:
www.deviationtx.com/forum/6-general-disc...evo7e?start=40#34821

While this looks vageuly familiar, can't seem to find the code I wrote to test it, and I don't recall how it works. Because you are trying to modify compressed data, I am not sure it will be possible to find a value that will decode close to 512k. It may be necessary to use a different bootloader which in theory shouldn't be hard, but as I said I was initially unsuccessful. I think mwm did some work on a serial-based one.

More
08 Apr 2016 01:51 #46088 by PhracturedBlue

ursus69 wrote: One question..
If I change the MCu with the STM32F103RCT6, after that....need to do anything more? Or Devo recognize it?

Thanks!

You need to install a new bootloader as mentioned above using a SWD programmer.

More
08 Apr 2016 02:47 #46089 by silpstream
Thanks @PhracturedBlue!

I actually had the processor cause I lifted it off of a dev board that I was using to prototype a Flight Controller on for CleanFlight. That project died with the release of the SP Racing Pro F3, so I swapped the processors between the dev board and devo7e. I first chose the RET6 dev board as it was only about a $1 price difference with the RCT6. I don't actually have any plans to fill it up. I was just curious and figured I'd attempt modifying the bootloader for fun.

Overall, using the default UART based BL probably makes most sense since we have TX, RX and GND on the DSC port. Just need to figure out where/how to add software based reset (similar to what is happening in BaseFlight/CleanFlight, but instead of using 'r' we tie it to the 'ENT' button). I've tried a straight compile and upload of code over UART to 0x08000000, but was greeted by a blank screen. I'm guessing it has to do with the make and .ld files being setup to be called by the walkera bootloader, or with the soft power on/off that the transmitter has (less likely).

I saw that you stripped out a lot from the make and .ld files for your x9d target. Is that the way to go if I want to get rid of the walkera bootloader? Any other areas, I should look into?

Thanks also for the clarification on the flash offset!

As an aside, for anyone in Singapore that wants to do the processor change, PM me. I'd be happy to help out and see if we can get the numbers for an official Ultimate7e target in Deviation.

More
08 Apr 2016 03:39 #46091 by PhracturedBlue
If you want to use the stock bootloader. Modify your Makefile.inc to load the code at 0x08000000 instead of 0x08003000. I don't know if you use a DFU when you upload that way, but if you do, you need to disable decryption (remove the -c 7' switch from the call to dfu.py). You also need to modify the devo7e.ld file to start at 0x08000000 (and then probably disable the optimized build which mucks around with the bootloader to repack everything around the CRC...I may already have done that for the 256k build though). I don't know if there is anything else you need to do, but those to start for sure.

More
08 Apr 2016 03:56 #46092 by silpstream
Thanks again for the pointers PB! I'll give it a try.

More
08 Apr 2016 14:33 #46114 by mtx63
Replied by mtx63 on topic In search of the ultimate Devo7E
my interest is piqued. I search the file for the boot loader

More
08 Apr 2016 15:57 #46118 by PhracturedBlue
I'm still confused. Is this just a 'because I can' project? Why would you take an easy to use USB bootloader and switch to a more annoying UART based one when there is nothing to be gained? I mean, if you actually had code that could use the extra space I could see it (and if that were the case, I'd be willing to spend some time to see if there is a set of values that would get you the extra space on the existing bootloader), but I just can't see the point until you actually run into a need. your 512k version will work just fine as a 256k version until you get to the point where you need something else.

More
08 Apr 2016 18:20 - 08 Apr 2016 18:51 #46120 by silpstream
LOL... no it's not 'because I can'. Mainly I've been seeing some talk about dropping/freezing the RBT6 based 7e and since that's the transmitter I have, I'm hoping to see if we can recover the space and possibly extend it's lifespan as part of the 'latest official' targets within the deviation project.

I've got the option to swap processors cause smd work is easy for me, but many don't. I came off of the opentx with a turnigy 9x cause I really like the 7e. It feels more solid, has better gimbals and has a nice size, all for a similar price. I'm not interested in more expensive options, if not I'd have jumped on the x9d.

From my perspective, the entire opentx movement took off cause the transmitter itself was priced in the $60 range which made it accessible to many and was a big upgrade from dx5/6 platforms from both a price and programmability stand point. I'd hate to see the 7e become a 2nd class citizen here cause I think it's where a lot of us would start.

From a 9x standpoint, UART/SWD is simple compared to soldering in a USBISP that the avr needs. If the USBASP could be adopted/implemented by the masses on the 9x, I don't see why people would cringe at losing USB-DFU. It's a minor inconvenience for better functions. In fact a good number of us have also swapped to the 128 or 2561 avrs, so the processor swap really isn't that scary. Soldering to processor pins is required for telemetry for the 9x. Sure the 64 is a larger package, but the pots mod you did is definately doable.

I also saw someone comment about repurposing pins PC9 and PC10 to the button matrix for extra switches. If we did that we could have 4x3way and 2x2way switches plus the 2 pots you added. If that could all be fit into 128k, the 7e would be, to me at least, the perfect transmitter (once the UniversalTX module or possibly the taobao 4/3-in-1 is added). The hardware fits, I've already done it (like you I jumped on the aesthetics to try it out :P ) Now I just need the code to get it to work.

Either way, I hope that the development on the 7e in either standard or ultimate form continues on deviation as a first class citizen.

:cheer: :cheer:
Last edit: 08 Apr 2016 18:51 by silpstream.

More
08 Apr 2016 23:00 #46140 by PhracturedBlue
There is no question that upgrading from 128k to 256k is a great upgrade. The question is why to go to 512k? If that is the chip you have, then great, use it, but why provide access to that memory until you need it, especially since doing so will reduce transmitter functionality.

More
09 Apr 2016 02:11 - 09 Apr 2016 02:15 #46150 by silpstream
512k was the processor I had on hand transplanted from a development board. I'm going to continue using the 256k bootloader you made on it and merge/patch new code into it until you guys decide to make it official.

The way I read things in other threads indicates v5.0 may be the last official release for the 7e. Using the UART based bootloader to free up space is because I'd like to see if we can fit 6 switches and 2 pots into the 128k devo7e build, as well as possibly extend it's lifespan a bit longer before it takes a backseat to it's more powerful siblings.

My bad for the long rant before and not clarifying concisely. :huh:
Last edit: 09 Apr 2016 02:15 by silpstream.

More
09 Apr 2016 23:29 - 09 Apr 2016 23:29 #46236 by Richard96816
Replied by Richard96816 on topic In search of the ultimate Devo7E

'I have to say that in 1981, making those decisions, I felt like I was providing enough freedom for 10 years. That is, a move from 64 K to 640 K felt like something that would last a great deal of time. Well, it didn't - it took about only 6 years before people started to see that as a real problem.' -- Bill Gates

With all due respect ... If the chip is cheap then consider suggesting the larger one now. And consider having the firmware auto-adjust. If it's available now, someone will use it very soon for something.
Last edit: 09 Apr 2016 23:29 by Richard96816.

More
10 Apr 2016 00:22 #46240 by PhracturedBlue
I didn't say not to use the bigger chip, I just see no point in spending the effort right now to fix the bootloader to support it when it does not currently add any benefit. By all means, use the biggest chip you can find. If we ever get to the point where we can fill the space of the smaller 256k chip, I'll invest the effort into expanding the bootloader, but to do so now is mostly pointless. The current bootloader will work with a 512k chip (but only provide 244k of space). Fixing the bootloader to support the full 512k will require some effort. Thee alternative is currently to use a UART bootloader which is less convenient. Let's tackle that bridge when we come to it and not right now.

More
10 Apr 2016 19:30 #46284 by mwm
IF we're going to be replacing bootloaders, how about making them work with a standard dfuse tool? Getting the walkera dfuse loader working seems to be one of the biggest hurdles to getting started with deviation.

More
10 Apr 2016 19:39 #46286 by FDR
Replied by FDR on topic In search of the ultimate Devo7E
Do you think the standard DfuSe would be any better?
The problem is always with the USB driver, not the software itself, and AFAIK it uses the same driver, doesn't it?

More
10 Apr 2016 19:46 #46287 by mwm
Yes, I think it would be better. It means you could use pretty much any OS, not windows, and hence avoid that problem. if for some reason, you still insisted on using windows (considering you can install a free Linux VM for a free virtual machine system and use that) you would be able to use a supported tool instead of one that isn't available from the company that created it any more.

At some point, I'm hoping to add a web server to the docker images I created so that you can start up a browser and do click-and-point builds. Adding a command line dfu utility to those might let you use them to do installs as well.

Admittedly, most of those benefits accrue to our own dfuse tool as well. But supporting a standard bootloader makes those easier to deal with.

Time to create page: 0.072 seconds