Ultimate7e tutorial: Processor upgrade

More
17 May 2016 10:30 #48582 by silpstream
Replied by silpstream on topic Ultimate7e tutorial: Processor upgrade
Nice!!! 11 and counting. :woohoo:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 May 2016 11:43 - 17 May 2016 11:57 #48587 by Cereal_Killer
Replied by Cereal_Killer on topic Ultimate7e tutorial: Processor upgrade
Just want to say thank you man. I was never worried about the soldering (I have a hot air rework station and have reflowed other 44 and 64-pin TQFP chips before and even QFN's) but learning to build from source and even flashing the bootloader just isn't something I have time to do so that's why I never looked into it further on my own. Your threads are 100% the reason I even took on such a project. Again thank you for all your work, I know it's not easy to put together ONE well-written turorial, you've gave us 3 very well organized tutorials not only with text walk-threws but pics and screen shots of each step too!

Taranis X9E | DEVO 10 | Devo U7E | Taranis Q7

What I do in real life: rivergoequestrian.com/
Last edit: 17 May 2016 11:57 by Cereal_Killer.

More
17 May 2016 15:51 #48595 by silpstream
You're very welcome! :) :)

More
17 May 2016 22:44 #48613 by HappyHarry
Replied by HappyHarry on topic Ultimate7e tutorial: Processor upgrade
welcome to a small but quickly growing club CK, and yeah +1 for praise to silpstream, getting technical details across in an easily understandable way isn't easy, and you have excelled in it. as I said at the start these howto's will make it much easier for people to follow the process of modding up to an ultimate 7e 8)

the deviated ultimate7e, one tx to rule them all :D

More
19 May 2016 09:09 #48692 by dc59
Replied by dc59 on topic Ultimate7e tutorial: Processor upgrade
I don't know is it a right thread for my question?
After upgraded MCU, is it possible to add LANGUAGE option in new FW?Just like other deviation TX?

More
19 May 2016 09:45 #48693 by silpstream
Definitely the right place to ask. Yes, language option is already enabled for the devo7e-256 version in the firmware. So once you do the mod, it'll be there.

More
19 May 2016 09:48 #48694 by dc59
:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
That's a great news!!
I'm looking for someone help me to upgrade MCU now, I don't have enough skill to do it. :oops:

More
19 May 2016 10:22 #48696 by silpstream
Lol. If you were in Singapore, i'd do it for you. Get them to solder wires for the 2 pots and extra 4th rf module for you also.

More
19 May 2016 11:23 #48698 by Cereal_Killer
If you're in the US I can do it.

More
19 May 2016 11:42 #48700 by dc59
It seems that I don't have good luck, I'm in Taiwan, but I will not give up. :lol:

More
19 May 2016 12:13 #48706 by HappyHarry
try and find a local mobile phone repair shop, or an electronics repair shop, this type of job will only take minutes if you take the board and mcu into them

More
19 May 2016 21:54 #48742 by dc59

HappyHarry wrote: try and find a local mobile phone repair shop, or an electronics repair shop, this type of job will only take minutes if you take the board and mcu into them

It's a good idea to find a repair shop do that for me, thanks.
Another question, I found 256k mcu and 512k mcu only about 1usd difference on price , should I get 512k version?

More
20 May 2016 04:33 #48836 by silpstream
Both work fine. The modified bootloader will limit all of them to 244k or so. If we run out of space PB might look at modifying it again, but if that happens the u7e won't be the only tx to have problems then. :blink:

So take your pick. There are no immediate advantages to either.

More
26 May 2016 00:26 #49236 by john
Replied by john on topic Ultimate7e tutorial: Processor upgrade
someone can modifi code to use devo 7e with lcd ST7565 serial I2C ? i have a TX old flysky 8ch , i think i can make a devo 7e

More
26 May 2016 12:37 - 26 May 2016 12:45 #49280 by Cereal_Killer

john wrote: someone can modifi code to use devo 7e with lcd ST7565 serial I2C ? i have a TX old flysky 8ch , i think i can make a devo 7e

That's really a lot to ask of the two devs who do the u7e code work for all of us (I'm not one of them).

Do you have a STM library for the display? Finding one of those would be a good thing thing to include with your likely one-off request.

I'm not answering no, I don't speak for the two guys but they really do a lot for us and you're making a big request for something probably only you will ever need.

I'm just wondering, what will you use for the processor / main board? I'm unable to locate a really suitable mini dev board with the proper stm32f03RCT6 cause I've wanted to do this for a while (and I have a spare 7e display). AFAIK there's only one dev board with that STM32 and it's quite large and far from ideal, we need something like maple mini with a 64 pin stm32.
*Note any board with a stm32f103 64pin TQFP will work as all STM devices are pin to pin compatible as long as they're the same pin count chip but I'm unable to locate any arduino / maple style "gum stick" boards with a 64 pin STM on it.
The display is cheap enough ($12) that it's IMO more important to find a good board than to modify code for a display only you need.

Last edit: 26 May 2016 12:45 by Cereal_Killer.

More
26 May 2016 14:33 - 26 May 2016 14:40 #49287 by john
Replied by john on topic Ultimate7e tutorial: Processor upgrade

Cereal_Killer wrote:

john wrote: someone can modifi code to use devo 7e with lcd ST7565 serial I2C ? i have a TX old flysky 8ch , i think i can make a devo 7e

That's really a lot to ask of the two devs who do the u7e code work for all of us (I'm not one of them).

Do you have a STM library for the display? Finding one of those would be a good thing thing to include with your likely one-off request.

I'm not answering no, I don't speak for the two guys but they really do a lot for us and you're making a big request for something probably only you will ever need.

I'm just wondering, what will you use for the processor / main board? I'm unable to locate a really suitable mini dev board with the proper stm32f03RCT6 cause I've wanted to do this for a while (and I have a spare 7e display). AFAIK there's only one dev board with that STM32 and it's quite large and far from ideal, we need something like maple mini with a 64 pin stm32.
*Note any board with a stm32f103 64pin TQFP will work as all STM devices are pin to pin compatible as long as they're the same pin count chip but I'm unable to locate any arduino / maple style "gum stick" boards with a 64 pin STM on it.
The display is cheap enough ($12) that it's IMO more important to find a good board than to modify code for a display only you need.

the first , i need it work ,so i will use a KIT devolopment STM32F1o3 64 pin and a epprom , connect wire . Only need screen work . Then make board smd 2 layer , i still do it usually.
i am not coder , maybe i should order LCD NT7538 .
Last edit: 26 May 2016 14:40 by john.

More
26 May 2016 16:50 - 26 May 2016 17:04 #49293 by silpstream

First of, you really should post this request to Wishlist for a custom Transmitter board . But CK is right about this. You probably won't find traction for doing this.

Firstly, I2C is not the protocol that I would choose for the LCD. You will likely run into refresh issues as it is generally slower than SPI. In fact, I believe the 7e is the only model that even has SPI, as the rest are using the much faster parallel interface.

Secondly, if you are looking for low cost alternatives then the OLED SPI modules have already been successfully used with the 7e with little or no code changes. See this youtube video .

Finally if you want to go colour, then the ili9341 FSMC based LCDs (already supported in the code) would be your best bet for something low cost. You can find them with XPT2046 SPI touch controllers, which I believe can be made to work with the current code. Some mods may be needed, I've not really tried, only looked at the datasheets.

It's great that we have another hardware guy around that can slap custom PCBs together. If you are intent on building our own, I'd really suggest going with one of the 100 or 144 pin variants. The 64 pin is doable, but you'll quickly run out of pins and getting other people interested in the project will be harder because everyone wants everything in their TX... literally :ohmy:

As for small sized dev boards, here's the 2 that I have. the RET6 is 35mmx35mm and the ZET6 is 50mmx50mm.

Attachments:
Last edit: 26 May 2016 17:04 by silpstream.

More
26 May 2016 17:32 - 26 May 2016 17:33 #49298 by Cereal_Killer
SS can you provide a link to the first [smaller] one? Do they sell to regular dudes like us with MOQ=1 or some sort of "agent"?

I've only found this that's about 50x65mm but I can't navigate all those Chinese only seller sites like you guys can.
m.ebay.com/itm/STM32F103RCT6-STM32F103-A...?nav=WATCHING_ACTIVE

P.S. I'm a HW guy, i work in eagle. check out my Oshpark profile (same name as here) for some of the stuff I've done.

Last edit: 26 May 2016 17:33 by Cereal_Killer.

More
26 May 2016 17:56 - 26 May 2016 17:59 #49302 by silpstream
CK, here's the link: https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=39081190681 .

It's unfortunately a Chinese only site (taobao.com). Both boards are from the same seller. He will sell in quantities of 1, but you'll have to go through an agent to get it to the US.

Make sure you choose the ones with the chip model followed by "成板“ i.e. "STM32RET6成板". That's basically the complete board. The PCB only is "STM32系统板空板".

If you run into issues with an agent or ordering, let me know, I can order it here and send it to you.

Note, mine had some silkscreen errors for the pinouts, but you'll figure it out fast, just compare the sequence to the data sheet. I had this as an upgrade for CleanFlight, before the SPR F3 board was released.

Nice work btw on oshpark. I see you are really into LED flashlights. Interesting NAZE32 breakout, do you have a writeup about it yet?
Last edit: 26 May 2016 17:59 by silpstream.

More
26 May 2016 18:13 #49303 by HappyHarry
silpstream bud where did you source those dev boards? as the smallest zet6 i could find when i went looking was this one >> www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-ST...13010308.0.54.NXIs9Y which is 71x65mm

Time to create page: 0.120 seconds