Ultimate7e tutorial: Processor upgrade

More
20 Mar 2017 16:12 - 20 Mar 2017 16:13 #60434 by silpstream
Replied by silpstream on topic Ultimate7e tutorial: Processor upgrade
If that's the case you should be wired to specific pins. HOLD should be on C11. You can find more information here: https://www.deviationtx.com/wiki/hardware/devo7e
Last edit: 20 Mar 2017 16:13 by silpstream.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Mar 2017 17:58 #60438 by compman2
Replied by compman2 on topic Ultimate7e tutorial: Processor upgrade
That is what I needed. That is indeed good news I think I can remedy that pretty easly. I haven't tried touching up that pin. If a touch up doesn't work it won't be hard to solder to the pin and then to the trace on the board.

This is indeed a learning process, it has been a real challenge but that is part of the fun/reward. At one point I had given this board up for dead and decided to give it one more try and here I am with one pin touch up to do to have complete function.

computer nerd, hobby collector, proud father

More
21 Mar 2017 00:52 #60461 by compman2
Touched up C11 and all is working. Thanks for the help.

More
22 Mar 2017 09:25 #60503 by Smarti
Replied by Smarti on topic Ultimate7e tutorial: Processor upgrade
Add another Ultimate 7E successfully upgraded to the list!

MultiMod / Switchmod seems to be working. Just some testing missing.

But looks good so far!

1. Devo 7e Ultimate: Multimodule - CC2500, NRF2401, A7105 + Switchmod + 2x Poti
2. Devo 7e Ultimate: 4in1 Modul, still upgrading ;)
Hobby Horizon 350 QX, QAV250 FPV Racer, JXD385, WLToys 272, Estes Proto X

More
22 Mar 2017 13:14 #60520 by HappyHarry
Replied by HappyHarry on topic Ultimate7e tutorial: Processor upgrade
nice one bud, it's amazing how this little tx has blossomed into a powerfull fully 12ch tx thanks to deviationtx and it's users

More
22 Mar 2017 14:11 #60523 by Smarti
Replied by Smarti on topic Ultimate7e tutorial: Processor upgrade
Indeed!! First when I read about Ultimate7e I thought not to do the mod (well most of the sw building).

I was already planing to buy a Taranis TX...

I followed the process, finally decided to go for the mod, save the money and stick to my Devo 7e :)

Big thanks for all making this possible!!!

1. Devo 7e Ultimate: Multimodule - CC2500, NRF2401, A7105 + Switchmod + 2x Poti
2. Devo 7e Ultimate: 4in1 Modul, still upgrading ;)
Hobby Horizon 350 QX, QAV250 FPV Racer, JXD385, WLToys 272, Estes Proto X

More
22 Mar 2017 14:29 #60525 by RobC62
Replied by RobC62 on topic Ultimate7e tutorial: Processor upgrade
Absolutely spot on there!

I have now done three of the Ultimate upgrades, although not to the full extent yet with full sound etc. as I am out of wire to solder the relevant hardware in! LOL!
But in all seriousness, the Deviation TX firmware is a revelation for usability and capabilities, and in some ways is superior to the absolutely brilliant firmwares on offer for the 9X/Taranis transmitters that I really enjoy using.
Now it were only to be/could be ported to those ...

Smarti wrote: Indeed!! First when I read about Ultimate7e I thought not to do the mod (well most of the sw building).

I was already planing to buy a Taranis TX...

I followed the process, finally decided to go for the mod, save the money and stick to my Devo 7e :)

Big thanks for all making this possible!!!

More
25 Mar 2017 18:51 #60738 by ursus69
Replied by ursus69 on topic Ultimate7e tutorial: Processor upgrade
Another one in the u7e club! ;)

Attachments:

More
25 Mar 2017 20:01 #60740 by ClittleJ
Replied by ClittleJ on topic Ultimate7e tutorial: Processor upgrade
Looks great! Wish I had the balls to do that upgrade..lol. Have the 4in1 and the 3 way switches mod working great so far..
My question is what did you use for the lettering to label your switches? I removed the metal stickers and I like how that looks.
Cheers!
Attachments:

More
25 Mar 2017 22:37 #60743 by ursus69
Replied by ursus69 on topic Ultimate7e tutorial: Processor upgrade
ClittleJ, I paid a friend for changing the processor! I don't have air gun....
The stick labels can find here! www.deviationtx.com/forum/custom-skins/6...evo-7e-switch-labels

More
25 Mar 2017 22:50 #60744 by ClittleJ
Replied by ClittleJ on topic Ultimate7e tutorial: Processor upgrade
Thanks! Those are great!!

More
26 Mar 2017 18:26 #60771 by TinuZ
Replied by TinuZ on topic Ultimate7e tutorial: Processor upgrade
I have one lifted pad on the board (pin 2) from earlier attempts (received stm32's from china with bent pins), so I went back to the factory installed MCU, TX ran fine without that pin though.

Finally the new ones arrived so I replaced the MCU (third attempt), flashed the bootloader successfully, uploaded Deviation. So far so good...
I did notice that it started immediately in the 'Program update' screen ever since I flashed the bootloader. But it starts always in update mode.

I guess it is one of the pins that has a loose connection, any idea which pin(s) I would have to focus on?

More
27 Mar 2017 09:05 #60793 by silpstream
Replied by silpstream on topic Ultimate7e tutorial: Processor upgrade
The "Program update" mode is activated by holding down "EXT" as you power up. Try looking along those connections for a potential short. The pins involved would be GPIOB8 (Pin 61) and GPIOC9 (Pin 40). You can find more information here at https://www.deviationtx.com/wiki/hardware/devo7e .

More
10 Apr 2017 19:50 #61361 by compman2
I just did an MCU replacement on my second Devo7e. It is installed and I was able to load the bootloader just fine. However I can't load Deviation as Defuse doesn't recognize the device.

When I power up the transmitter it immediately goes to the program update screen without any buttons being pressed. Is this normal before deviation is flashed or does it mean that I have a bridged pin somewhere in the button matrix? If there is a bridged pin could this be keeping the usb from being recognized or is that a seperate issue.

I have checked that the usb tx and rx lines are connected to the pins on the mcu. Are there other places to check?

More
13 Apr 2017 23:27 - 13 Apr 2017 23:28 #61448 by RobC62
I had similar when I did my second MCU swapout. (mine went into USB mode on switch on!) I am unsure what was bridged, as I could not see anything untoward, even with a 30x magnifier, but a quick re-flux and couple of runs one side of pins at a time with my hot air gun re-flowed it and cured the problem.

Also had the same problem - albeit a different symptom - when replacing the ARM M3 MCU in my Sky9X boarded TX for an ARM M4 - and that has 100 pins!
Last edit: 13 Apr 2017 23:28 by RobC62.

More
16 Apr 2017 16:38 - 17 Apr 2017 16:06 #61513 by compman2
This is driving me nuts I am so close. After mcu flash it powers on to the program update scene like it should but it is not recognized by sub driver and defuse.

I have checked and rechecked for shorts on the pins. I have tested continuity from pin to pad on all mcu pins. I have tested continuity on the usb cable to pins on the mcu.

I just updated the firmware on stink tool and reflashed the bootloader again after full chip erase. All went perfect. Did a compare of the file and mcu this verified.

Any ideas where to look. I did knock a capicator loose when removing mcu. I put it back with hot air rework tool. This capacitor was neat pins 60-64.

I have reflowed the pins on all four sides
twice no change.

I verified it isn't my computer by connecting my other U7e. It connects fine. I am about ready to try another mcu as I have a spare.

I am attaching photos and asking for any advice or suggestions. This replacement is so much cleaner than my first but doesn't working.

Attachments:
Last edit: 17 Apr 2017 16:06 by compman2.

More
16 Apr 2017 18:42 #61514 by RobC62
On power on, does it boot into Program Update mode on its own as you said before? Or do you need to press the EXT button? If it is booting to update mode without EXT being pressed, something is shorted/bridged somewhere. A few posts up from here mention is made of Pins 61 & 40.

Not sure if it is the photos or lighting, but there are a couple pins on your MCU that are not looking to be soldered well, and the row of pins furthest from the RF module do not look to be particularly tidily soldered. It may pay once more to flux and run a fine round tip soldering iron over them all again.

More
16 Apr 2017 20:19 #61516 by compman2
It's a poor photo combined with some extra flux because I have been over the pins quite a lot.

It is going automatically to program update, but I thought I saw somewhere that this is default behavior until software is loaded with defuse. I may be wrong about that and forget how it worked with my other U7e.

I have checked all pins in the button matrix for shorts and couldn't find any even checking them for non adjoining pins.

I am looking for the magic bullet as I am out of things to try.

More
16 Apr 2017 21:13 #61518 by RobC62
Not sure of what flux you used, but a really good scrub with some isopropyl alcohol should clean it off - it is possible there is very fine solder bridges. I have had that before where even under the strongest loupe I have nothing showed.

I too am not 100% sure, but I am thinking I had to hit EXT to boot into Update mode for the first time on both Ultimates I have done.

More
16 Apr 2017 22:09 - 17 Apr 2017 16:08 #61520 by compman2
I have tested for bridging of pins with multimeter and with fine needle like tips. There is no pin bridging.

What would keep the bootloader from turning on usb MODE? I noticed on the wiki that there is s pin to turn on usb mode. Is there a way to force this like tie the pin to ground?

Can you test the button matrix with a multimeter to see which if any button is pushed/on?

Is it possible to flash the dfu file to the chip with STLink utility?

Here is a much better photo

Attachments:
Last edit: 17 Apr 2017 16:08 by compman2.

Time to create page: 0.223 seconds