7e/Ultimate7e, adding the devo version 4in1

More
05 Dec 2016 16:54 #56553 by victzh
Replied by victzh on topic 7e/Ultimate7e, adding the devo version 4in1
@CesiumSalami - yes, it should be OK. For the radio it should look exactly as a 50Ohm antenna. I think this dummy load will easily dissipate 100mW as heat.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Dec 2016 17:42 #56556 by CesiumSalami
Replied by CesiumSalami on topic 7e/Ultimate7e, adding the devo version 4in1
Awesome! Thanks!!

More
20 Dec 2016 04:11 - 20 Dec 2016 05:27 #57028 by ridgerunner
Replied by ridgerunner on topic 7e/Ultimate7e, adding the devo version 4in1

victzh wrote: Surely, you can demux chip select signal. I do exactly that in my version of 4in1 module. It also has SPI flash for TXs that lack it (Devo F series, Radiolink AT9). You need support in the code for it, it's almost done.

You can't reprogram MCU on the Banggood module - the author of this module is quite secretive and we don't know what is this. You definitely can try.

Are you saying that the Bangood 4-in-1 module for Devo is locked and cannot be reflashed?

How about the Banggood 4-in-1 TX module for Taranis/9XR/etc?

I currently have these in my shopping cart, but if they can't be upgraded then I will be looking to buy elsewhere!
Last edit: 20 Dec 2016 05:27 by ridgerunner. Reason: Added missing URL close tag

More
20 Dec 2016 14:09 #57039 by HappyHarry
Replied by HappyHarry on topic 7e/Ultimate7e, adding the devo version 4in1
as both of those use the same 4in1 module neither of the 4in1 modules are programmable, also as there is only one manufacturer of these modules where else are you going to go?

perhaps you have read that the second module you linked is programmable, but in fact it's only the daughterboard that can be reprogrammed to add protocols etc not the 4in1, also the devo version doesn't need this prorammable daughterboard as the tx handles all that

More
20 Dec 2016 15:32 - 20 Dec 2016 15:39 #57041 by ridgerunner
I'm into micro-helis and my goal is to be able to fly several protocols from both my old Tarani and my newly ordered Devo7e - .i..e. DSMX (180CFX, nCPX, etc.), FlySky (Xieda 9958, V911) and S-FHSS (XK K110, X123). I currently have individual JR modules for my Taranis to fly the DSMX/DSM2 (Orange module) and FlySky (a different module), but unfortunately, there are apparently no JR modules available for my favorite heli, the XK K110 (which uses the Futaba S-FHSS protocol). My seach for a S-FHSS JR module led me here.

I was hoping to buy the Banggood modules and reflash them with code that supports the S-FHSS protocol (I think it uses the CC2500 chip). If I am understanding you correctly, neither of the two Banggood modules I linked to can be re-flashed to do this. Yes?

:(

Thanks for any help with this!
Last edit: 20 Dec 2016 15:39 by ridgerunner. Reason: grammer...

More
20 Dec 2016 16:40 #57045 by victzh
For Devo you don't need to reflash the module - it's pretty dumb and all the protocols are in the Deviation firmware. Another module - for Taranis - is "smart" - it actually contains the protocols. But I know a little of how to reflash it (it's possible) and how it communicates with host TXs firmware.

More
20 Dec 2016 16:58 #57046 by hexfet
Replied by hexfet on topic 7e/Ultimate7e, adding the devo version 4in1
Information on the 4-in-1 JR module is here . Looks like you can flash the banggood module and SFHSS is available. You'll likely need to build the code with the protocols you want.

More
20 Dec 2016 18:44 - 20 Dec 2016 19:51 #57052 by ridgerunner
Thank you all very much for the replies. :) I went ahead and placed my order assuming that I'll be able to get my Tarani talking to the K110 and will continue reading up on the subject. (Have already spent 3 days researching the Devo/Deviation/universalTx and Devo7e mods topic. I am a little scared by the 7e RF module removal process - I read that the more recent 7e's have the modules glued down in addition to all the solder.)

As a long-time software engineer (36+ years working with low level ASM, C and Fortran) I can really appreciate what you devs have done hear, particularly PB's efforts. Anyone know how I could send him some $$ to help out the cause?

Cheers! (and thanks again)
Jeff Roberson
Salt Lake City, UT USA

EDIT: I see in the FAQ that donations are not accepted. However, I want to send him some $$ anyway as a "Thank you" for the work he has already done - is this possible?
Last edit: 20 Dec 2016 19:51 by ridgerunner. Reason: answered my own question, but have another...

More
21 Dec 2016 04:02 #57075 by SuperFLY
Replied by SuperFLY on topic 7e/Ultimate7e, adding the devo version 4in1
I have been flying only DSMX/2 on the new module. I am looking into the BeeCore FC for a TW build but I have not bound to anything with FrSKY SBUS yet. Can anyone confirm that this module works with the FrSKY SBUS on Deviation 5.0?

More
21 Dec 2016 04:38 #57077 by CesiumSalami
I have the Beecore FrSky and DSM versions ... the DSM version ... is no where near as nice as the FrSky version. I don't know what it is (PPM vs SBUS?) but the FrSky version is just so much nicer. Just flies nicer that is. The DSM version requires rx_range changes, dramatic subtrim, and drifts constantly. The FrSky requires very little changes and has laser focus.

I'm flying both on a Devo 7e with a 4-in-1 added.

Another note is: I really like the Beecore FrSky. But. The FuriBee equivalent ... is cheaper and it sounds like it may have RSSI and VBAT supported. I haven't heard a lot about it. I have one in the mail. You can check out the thread on RCGroups for updates. People are just starting to get it.

www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2...p-Inductrix-JJRC-H36

More
21 Dec 2016 04:56 #57078 by SuperFLY
Replied by SuperFLY on topic 7e/Ultimate7e, adding the devo version 4in1
Awesome thanks for the input. And to answer my question if the moduel works, that's a yes. So as I have been looking around I decided to go with a new fc by makfire. It's native dsm2 /X and has f3 as well. Another neat feature is the USB being mounted vertical. When I get it up and running I'll try to remember to report back.

More
27 Dec 2016 16:13 #57265 by timps
Hi!

I tried to solder the 4-in-1 (using only 3 protocols) to my otherwise stock Devo 7e today, but now it won't turn on :( (no USB, DFU, ... simply no reaction/light/display after powering on). It worked great (only used with simulator until now) prior.

How can I troubleshoot the problem? I checked for shorts (none) and I don't think I lifted any of the solder pads (original module came off quite well with some patience). Is there any information which voltages I should observe on the pins?

Should the Devo turn on without a module (or would it damage anything powering it on without one)? Should I try to solder the original module back in in case the banggood module is faulty? I tried the 4-in-1 without any of the additional modules (the three separate pins) but it did not change anything.

Thx!
Attachments:

More
27 Dec 2016 22:03 #57270 by CesiumSalami
Weird ... looks like a solid job there.

I'm just going to ask the obvious question - you're sure you double checked when reassembling that you inspected and plugged in both connectors that are present when you separate the front of the Tx from the back? and double checked that the batteries are well seated, etc... ?

Specifically the one with the arrow in the pic attached
Attachments:

More
27 Dec 2016 23:57 #57274 by hexfet
Replied by hexfet on topic 7e/Ultimate7e, adding the devo version 4in1
Shouldn't leave the 7105 select unconnected. Tie to 3.3V if not using. May be safe but can't be certain without knowing the module circuit.

But that doesn't explain why it's not powering up...

More
28 Dec 2016 00:29 #57275 by victzh
Yeah, next step is to unsolder everything (sorry), check that it turns on at all. It should at least turn on, warning that CYRF6936 not found.

More
28 Dec 2016 09:03 - 28 Dec 2016 09:07 #57282 by timps
Thanks for your help! Connectors on the back are connected. Unfortunately nothing has changed after desoldering the module again. Still don't get any reaction at all...

However, I noticed that VDD and GND seem to be shorted. Using new batteries I measured the following voltages (see attached picture). I'm also getting a beep on the multimeter when checking for connections between the two bright green spots.

Edit: I'm also only measuring 0.5v between PIN 6 and 7 on the module contacts, shouldn't it be 5v? /edit

I could not find any visual signs for connections between GND and VDD, also never soldered anything to those points directly, so it must have happened somewhere else?

Regarding leaving 7105 unconnected: two posts on the previous page mention leaving it unconnected without problems.
Attachments:
Last edit: 28 Dec 2016 09:07 by timps.

More
28 Dec 2016 18:20 #57304 by dabiz
I see a goober of solder on the cap next to pin 64 of the uC (I think...not sure why the datasheet doesn't show the orientation dot) which happens to be Vdd. Is it bridged?

Also nice work removing the old module cleanly...mine did not go as nicely. I dont have a dmm with me or I'd check the voltages for you

More
28 Dec 2016 19:12 #57307 by dabiz
I realized that i never followed up on my install of the 4in1. Adding leaded solder to the joints prior to wicking/sucking made it happen for me. The RF module appeared to be adhered to the main board even after the solder was removed. I don't know if it was adhesive or leftover flux as someone previously mentioned but I had to pry the module off.

I lifted 2 pads. I superglued them back in position and managed to connect them to the vias with a lot of solder. My NRF and CYRF modules seem to be working with a Eachine E010 and LemonRX DSM2. I don't have any other RXs to test with.

In regards to hardware.ini, I enabled the NRF, C2500, and a7105 and switched the ports to match my wiring. I saw a couple posts on RCgroups where people enabled the CYRF module but I didn't as the notes indicate it is unneccessary.

Thanks for everyone's help with this. I still plan to add 2 3-position switches. In case anyone else is interested in adding switches Arrow Electronics has free shipping right now.
Attachments:

More
28 Dec 2016 21:42 #57309 by timps

dabiz wrote: I see a goober of solder on the cap next to pin 64 of the uC (I think...not sure why the datasheet doesn't show the orientation dot) which happens to be Vdd. Is it bridged?

That was it! Thanks so much! Next time I'll cover everything that I'm not working on :D Got to the missing module error, will continue tomorrow.

dabiz wrote: Also nice work removing the old module cleanly...mine did not go as nicely. I dont have a dmm with me or I'd check the voltages for you

Thanks. It took quite some time mixing in some lead based solder at high temperature to the big ground blobs and removing it with a solder sucker. Then I was able to lift it a bit at the top. There was no glue below my module, just some flux. Heating the bottom ground blob and all pins (going left <-> rigtht) I was able to lift it at the top slowly and then pull it off without any damage.

Will report back once the module is back in and some final picture ;)

More
05 Jan 2017 07:39 #57547 by Poundra
Replied by Poundra on topic 7e/Ultimate7e, adding the devo version 4in1
Thanks to HappyHarry 4 in 1 module installation tutorial I was able to completed my devo 7e upgrade and additional 2x3 switches and antenna mode.
It was much easier to remove the old module with Chip Quick Alloy. I start from top of the module slowly lifting it up millimeter by millimeter while using little bit of Chip Quick Alloy to keep the temperature low. My soldering iron is set to 280 degree Celsius. Once I have top part of module free it was pretty easy to removed the rest with flux and Chip Quick.

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds