skyartec compatibility

More
15 Apr 2013 14:39 #8955 by cmpang
Replied by cmpang on topic skyartec compatibility

blackmoon wrote: Received my 2 skyartec modules.

Now that I have them, I think that I bit off more than I could chew.

The pitch of the pads is insane... don't know how I'll solder them.

Guess we shall see if I can make it work.

Try it out and hopefully it works better than mine...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Apr 2013 01:09 #8995 by tx
Replied by tx on topic skyartec compatibility

cmpang wrote: got some XL2500-D03 from the local Chinese market but the radio range is very very short. Upon contacting the seller and to my surprise, the module is different from we have here although it looks exactly the same.

I just got one and it's the same way too. I ground the RXEN though. Have you tried running yours that way? RXEN disabled (GND PAEN) and TXEN enabled (VCC RFC). It seem to me that there is no reason to enable the RX and in fact that may affect how it performs (or the RX may burn from the TX).

More
17 Apr 2013 01:17 - 17 Apr 2013 01:19 #8996 by tx
I need some help from the gurus here. I'm building a Skyartec TX module for my 9x. I ported the Deviation code over to an avr that I'm putting in the module (very little code changes, it's pretty much the exact same code).

The problem I have is the module works fine when I use a normal standalone atmega328p but when I try to use an Arduino Pro Mini board the SPI communication does not work correctly. I have gone over the connections 100 times and I can use SPI to program the Pro Mini using the exact same connections but it will not talk SPI to the CC2500 module for some reason.

I have a debug output in my code that prints out the partnum and vernum from the CC2500 registers. On the standalone atmega it prints 128 and 3 respectively and binding to a Skyartec RX works fine. On the Pro Mini it prints 15 and 15 and does not bind. Something is screwy with the Pro Mini's SPI when talking to the CC2500. Anyone know what could be going on here?

Can the SPI lines benefit from pull-up/down's? I don't believe I have seen that before but I don't know. I don't believe you guys with Devo's are doing that, are you?
Last edit: 17 Apr 2013 01:19 by tx.

More
17 Apr 2013 01:42 #8997 by cmpang

cmpang wrote: Having installed the Skyartec XL2500-D03 module for over a week and while flying with my nanoCP get lost link every now and then..

checking with my spectrum analyser found the output power is consistently down by about 10db as compared with either the Devo or V911 protocol... what's more, the output power seemed not changed by setting from the lowest 100uW to the highest 150mW on my D10

performed a field check today and the range is only a mere 80m.. and the result doesn't change by whatever power setting on my Tx.. ( I started with the lowest 100uW, go out to the point where signal is lost, then asked my buddy to raise the power setting and to the highest but still get no signal)

Go home and perform a most basic test...

I posted the same findings in a Chinese forum and GALEE (working on a variant of Deviation on 7e) was able to track it and confirmed that there is a bug in the coding that doesn't enable the power handling routine..
GALEE has released a fix last night and I can confirm both the power output has raised by more than 10dB now and on par with the Devo and A7105 protocol. Power setting also works now..
He will post his code here later..

More
17 Apr 2013 01:46 #8998 by cmpang

tx wrote:

cmpang wrote: got some XL2500-D03 from the local Chinese market but the radio range is very very short. Upon contacting the seller and to my surprise, the module is different from we have here although it looks exactly the same.

I just got one and it's the same way too. I ground the RXEN though. Have you tried running yours that way? RXEN disabled (GND PAEN) and TXEN enabled (VCC RFC). It seem to me that there is no reason to enable the RX and in fact that may affect how it performs (or the RX may burn from the TX).

no apparant effect either enabling RXEN or not..

More
17 Apr 2013 02:00 #8999 by tx

cmpang wrote: no apparant effect either enabling RXEN or not..

Yeah, the documentation on this stuff isn't great and it's impossible to see the circuit under the shield (well, without taking it apart :)).

But I assume the problem of short range will be solved with the code fixes. I'm curious to see what those changes are myself.

More
18 Apr 2013 01:05 #9014 by tx

tx wrote: I need some help from the gurus here.

Well you guys are no help. :P

I think I figured out the issue(s) with my module. I believe there are a few bugs in the Deviation code with regards to how it accesses the CC2500. I want to do some more testing and research to make sure it's working 100% but I will post what I find.

It's amazing that even code I have found around of "working" CC2500 systems is not correct either. Trudging through the datasheet has been the only way I could get my module working.

More
18 Apr 2013 05:17 - 18 Apr 2013 06:41 #9019 by cmpang

tx wrote:

I think I figured out the issue(s) with my module. I believe there are a few bugs in the Deviation code with regards to how it accesses the CC2500. I want to do some more testing and research to make sure it's working 100% but I will post what I find.

It's amazing that even code I have found around of "working" CC2500 systems is not correct either. Trudging through the datasheet has been the only way I could get my module working.

Should you work on the 7e/D10 version then I am happy to do some testing
Last edit: 18 Apr 2013 06:41 by cmpang.

More
18 Apr 2013 09:18 - 18 Apr 2013 09:19 #9030 by RandMental
Replied by RandMental on topic skyartec compatibility

tx wrote: It's amazing that even code I have found around of "working" CC2500 systems is not correct either. Trudging through the datasheet has been the only way I could get my module working.

Hi tx, with the CC2500 module being the last one that was integrated, I think most testing to date focused on positive test cases, i.e. is it working (YES/NO) and not how good its working nor any negative test cases.

I would love like get into the testing, but both my Skyartech and aliexpress CC2500 modules are (after 5 weeks) still enroute. (real soon now, I hope :))

If you could upload the documentation you have and give us a few pointers on the issues you found, we can have a few more eyes looking at the code in the mean time.
Last edit: 18 Apr 2013 09:19 by RandMental.

More
18 Apr 2013 09:42 #9031 by sbstnp
Replied by sbstnp on topic skyartec compatibility

tx wrote:

If you need help with testing the Aliexpress CC2500 (the one with the u.fl connector), I have it in my Devo 10.

Devo 10 + 4in1
Spektrum Dx9
FrSky Taranis + TBS Crossfire

More
19 Apr 2013 17:03 #9058 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic skyartec compatibility
The skyatec code is still not very mature. There are many things that should be cleaned up (like handling of power-output). As mentioned above at this pointit has more of a 'does it work' than anything else. I had been spending most of mytime trying to make the Frsky stuff work, but I'm still at a loss as to what to do there. If you find specific issues, I'm always open to bug reporets and patches.

More
19 Apr 2013 17:19 - 19 Apr 2013 17:22 #9062 by tx
I think the primary issue I had was related to using SPI mode 1 instead of the proper mode 0. I'm not sure why I thought I needed mode 1, it might not have been from the Deviation code. The CC2500 datasheet clearly shows mode 0 though.

The datasheet says to wait for MISO to go low after setting CS_LO and the current Deviation code does not do that AFAIK (unless it's a hidden feature of the ARM SPI stuff). It probably works OK like it is because the CC2500 is never in sleep mode but it's not really following the specs. On my AVR port I added this check for MISO low to all the CC2500_* functions after CS_LO().

The current CC2500 reset function doesn't really follow what the datasheet says to do for reset. Although again it probably works like it is. I changed mine to follow the recommended method (this is Arduino style code, but you get the idea :)):
void CC2500_Reset()
{
  CS_LO();
  delayMicroseconds(1);
  CS_HI();
  delayMicroseconds(41);
  CC2500_Strobe(CC2500_SRES);
}

I eagerly await any changes for the power increase. I tested my module out to about 150 meters before I lost signal.
Last edit: 19 Apr 2013 17:22 by tx.

More
19 Apr 2013 19:19 #9064 by tx
Looking at the Skyartec CC2500 initialization it looks like it doesn't increase the power at all from the default of -12 dBm (which is then fed in to the amplifier I assume).

The FrSky module loads 0xFF in to PATABLE which is maximum power +1 dBm. Is that all that needs to be done?

More
22 Apr 2013 04:25 #9112 by vlad_vy
Replied by vlad_vy on topic skyartec compatibility
sunvsuv implemented fix to tx power for cc2500 protocols
bitbucket.org/sunvsuv/deviationfor6810

More
22 Apr 2013 13:17 - 22 Apr 2013 13:21 #9123 by tx
Excellent, that is just setting PATABLE like I thought. I have already been using that on my 9x Skyartec module and it works fine.

I should note the sunvsuv code has at least one bug (default -12dBm power is 0xC6 not 0xC5).
Last edit: 22 Apr 2013 13:21 by tx.

More
22 Apr 2013 13:41 #9125 by cmpang

tx wrote: Excellent, that is just setting PATABLE like I thought. I have already been using that on my 9x Skyartec module and it works fine.

I should note the sunvsuv code has at least one bug (default -12dBm power is 0xC6 not 0xC5).

I have alredy tested suv's release days before and it is almost the same power output as Gale's version..

so what how much different of OxC5 instead of 0xC6?

cmPang

More
22 Apr 2013 13:44 - 22 Apr 2013 13:46 #9126 by tx

cmpang wrote: I have alredy tested suv's release days before and it is almost the same power output as Gale's version..

No difference at all because it only affects the lowest power setting. Even then I'm not sure what will happen, probably the chip will reject the change and keep the default which means it might work like it's suppose to anyway.

If you have it set to use anything higher than the lowest power then no problem. :)
Last edit: 22 Apr 2013 13:46 by tx.

More
22 Apr 2013 14:04 #9127 by cmpang

tx wrote:

cmpang wrote: I have alredy tested suv's release days before and it is almost the same power output as Gale's version..

No difference at all because it only affects the lowest power setting. Even then I'm not sure what will happen, probably the chip will reject the change and keep the default which means it might work like it's suppose to anyway.

If you have it set to use anything higher than the lowest power then no problem. :)

my basic spectrum analyser is not able to differienate the lowest power anyway..but suv's work and give basically the same output on par with Devo and A7105 modules.. and of course, the supply current increases with increased power setting...
strange that it seems aside from you, no one seems to care ...

More
22 Apr 2013 15:03 #9128 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic skyartec compatibility
The CC250 is an incredibly frustrating chip to work with, so I've taken a break from it. Implementing proper power control is not difficult (as suvsuv has shown). I will get it implemented sooner or later, but honestly it isn't that high on my priority list. The current power output is the same as the Skyartec transmitter, which should give satisfactory output for most uses. When I get back to it, it will likely be to give frsky another try.

More
23 Apr 2013 01:07 #9137 by cmpang

PhracturedBlue wrote: The CC250 is an incredibly frustrating chip to work with, so I've taken a break from it. Implementing proper power control is not difficult (as suvsuv has shown). I will get it implemented sooner or later, but honestly it isn't that high on my priority list. The current power output is the same as the Skyartec transmitter, which should give satisfactory output for most uses. When I get back to it, it will likely be to give frsky another try.

yes it is good sometimes to get yourselves a break rather than get buried in a particular task in programming... and priority management as well ..

thanks for your hard work and I am sure everybody here appreciate your work in the project..

cmPang

Time to create page: 0.119 seconds