PB's newgui

More
19 Jun 2013 19:45 #11136 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic PB's newgui
What do you think about having an 'Empty' template available with the default template?
Then I don't need to have a dialog called from a dialog, which is a bit kludgey.
It would also be somewhat difficult to accidently press, which is my main concern.

The problem with an 'Add' button, is it isn't very convenient from a keyboard perspective. You'd select your element type, then move over to add and press it.
Using a 'press' spinbox' would let you just press enter after selecting the relevant element.

The alternative is to play some games with the button bindings, but this is a bit nasty when it comes to overriding bindings within a dialog.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jun 2013 20:49 #11137 by Kdean
Replied by Kdean on topic PB's newgui
I for one am not particular about how the display is configured. What ever changes made from here forward will only be matters of convenience and preference. Im all for implementations that will not complicate the programing. I can work around not having the convenient features, setting up the GUI for a model only needs to be done once like someone said earlier. Press and hold, drag and drop, blow and squeeze, it does not matter to me, as long as it works and it is stable. We can end up spending alot of time "trying" different ways to get the same results.

Here are the things i would like to see developed for the firmware.

1) Built in real time clock. Either displayed in the menu bar or can be programed in one of the timers display.

2) Text boxes. Size adjustable so they can be used to label other boxes, add channel numbers to bargraphs, or display notes about the model.

3) Horizontal bargraphs. Or circular ones to represent the knobs position at the top of the 12s

4) Small square boxes. About the size of the toggles. To be used to display the percentage of rate, expo, or gyro that is programed with the switch position.

I would love to have a dfu release that i can uses in my 12s now. Then the programing work can continue while i play with it some more in real world situations.

More
19 Jun 2013 20:52 #11138 by FDR
Replied by FDR on topic PB's newgui

PhracturedBlue wrote: What do you think about having an 'Empty' template available with the default template?
Then I don't need to have a dialog called from a dialog, which is a bit kludgey.
It would also be somewhat difficult to accidently press, which is my main concern.

It is not necessary to open the confirmation dialog on top of the other one.
Just like in case of selecting a template, the dialog would close when you press "Erase", and the confirmation dialog would be opened with "OK" and "Cancel" buttons. If you press ok, it clears the screen, otherwise leave the contents, but would not return to the previous dialog.

The empty template would do, but that could be selected by a mistake too...

PhracturedBlue wrote: The problem with an 'Add' button, is it isn't very convenient from a keyboard perspective. You'd select your element type, then move over to add and press it.
Using a 'press' spinbox' would let you just press enter after selecting the relevant element.

You are right about the keyboard handling.
I'm fine with the pressable spinbox, which could get an "Add" label before, but I see some users have difficulty with them...

More
19 Jun 2013 20:58 - 19 Jun 2013 21:00 #11139 by PhracturedBlue

FDR wrote: The empty template would do, but that could be selected by a mistake too...

Selecting from a listbox requires selecting the item then moving to ok and pressing it. I guess you could press 'Ok' instead of 'Cancel' but those buttons are quite big, and harder to miss.

I think I'll do it that way.

As far as the 'Add' button, I could have a pressable spin-box AND an 'Add' button that both behave the same. In the end this probably isn't that critical, since a mistake is very easy to correct.

I could also have an 'Add' button that starts with focus. needing 2 select the type, change it, then select 'Add' isn't that bad if you can quickly add the 2nd or 3rd subsequent element with one press.

I want to wrap up the interface so I can start work on porting it to the Devo10, which is the next critical step before I can merge the changes.

As far as adding an icon to get to the edit screen, I agree it is a good idea, but it puts us back into being really-cramped on the header on the devo8.
Last edit: 19 Jun 2013 21:00 by PhracturedBlue.

More
19 Jun 2013 21:16 #11140 by FDR

PhracturedBlue wrote: As far as adding an icon to get to the edit screen, I agree it is a good idea, but it puts us back into being really-cramped on the header on the devo8.

I hope it would take less space, then the spinbox took...

More
19 Jun 2013 22:03 #11141 by PhracturedBlue

FDR wrote:

PhracturedBlue wrote: As far as adding an icon to get to the edit screen, I agree it is a good idea, but it puts us back into being really-cramped on the header on the devo8.

I hope it would take less space, then the spinbox took...

I checked in all the fixes above.
The icon takes up less space than the spinbox, but we didn't have the 'Plus', and the left/right didn't fit properly. So we replaced the spinbox with 3 icons already ('add' 'left' and 'right'). Now we add a 4th ('Edit') and it is cramped again. Anyhow, I added it and it does fit ok. Let me know what you think

More
19 Jun 2013 23:00 #11142 by PhracturedBlue
I updated the download link again with a new version of the emulator.

I believe this addresses all feedback to date with regards to the new layout gui.

Sorry, but the completion of the Devo12 interface for other pages, as well as the addition of new gui widgets is not next on my todo list, so these requests will likely need to wait.

More
19 Jun 2013 23:27 #11143 by ave1
Replied by ave1 on topic PB's newgui
WOW

Easy to use, intuitive, no complaints from a simple FBL heli guy. It's really come a long way. Excellent result. I'm so impressed and proud for you all and this.

More
20 Jun 2013 00:31 - 20 Jun 2013 00:40 #11144 by Kdean
Im playing with the new emu, after using my radio for a bit, i feel that in the page config pop up windows the delete/add button is very close to the spin buttons, and the rows are also very close. We all know the accuracy of the touch screen on these devices can sometimes miss by a little, or alot. I can see that i will accidentally delete something while trying to adjust something else.

Maybe a cancel button on the bottom can allow the changes not to be saved so that any miss press will not lead to having to rebuild/replace an item in the case of a miss cue. Cancel will return to setup page previous state with no changes.

It would be to easy to press a wrong button on a screen like this...

In addition to the cancel button, maybe just spread things out as well.
Attachments:
Last edit: 20 Jun 2013 00:40 by Kdean.

More
20 Jun 2013 00:48 #11145 by PhracturedBlue
a cancel button is difficult to implement as we would nee to keep track of all changes, which will waste a lot of RAM. spacing out the buttons is not too hard to do though

More
20 Jun 2013 01:16 - 20 Jun 2013 01:41 #11146 by Kdean
Can you add "short cuts" to pages from toggles?

Press toggle icon for flight mode = 3-thr complex page

Press rudder dr icon = 4-rud expo&dr page

Quick access to the assignment that the switch is set for.

And what happend to the four main menu "quick pages"?
Last edit: 20 Jun 2013 01:41 by Kdean.

More
20 Jun 2013 01:24 #11147 by Kdean
Sample of a simple gui setup, showing all trim and switch positions.

Attachments:

More
20 Jun 2013 01:39 #11148 by Kdean
Sample of a more detailed setup, including telemetry, with bargraphs for dials and knobs.

This was done on older version of the EMU.
Attachments:

More
20 Jun 2013 01:49 - 20 Jun 2013 01:50 #11149 by Pattaya01
Replied by Pattaya01 on topic PB's newgui
I was placing 12 bargraphs at the bottom of the screen, started to assign channels, did a long press on the scroll down and had a crash. This is your latest build.
Attachments:
Last edit: 20 Jun 2013 01:50 by Pattaya01.

More
20 Jun 2013 02:17 - 20 Jun 2013 02:18 #11150 by Kdean
Shouldn't the telemetry alarms turn the display red like the timer displays do?

It would be nice so that an alarm goes off, and with a quick glance you can see why.
Last edit: 20 Jun 2013 02:18 by Kdean.

More
20 Jun 2013 02:56 #11151 by Kdean
I was able to duplicate the long press scroll-crash. It also happened when tried it with a toggle list that took up more than one screen.

• rbe2012
  • So much to do, so little time...
More
20 Jun 2013 06:14 #11159 by rbe2012
Replied by rbe2012 on topic PB's newgui

PhracturedBlue wrote: ...I don't see any way to make supporting the old gui possible now without a lot of crufty code. instead I will just use the default.ini if I don't find the new-gui section in the model.ini...

For my gui I have written a converter which is triggered when a model was loaded without the advanced gui section. It recalculates the old config to the new one (see "CONFIG_UpdateGUI()" in model.c).
Maybe you want to take a look (or have done already) - from my point of view it's not too complicated - just a bundle of if-statements and variable assignments.

• rbe2012
More
20 Jun 2013 06:49 #11160 by rbe2012

PhracturedBlue wrote: ...Sorry, but the completion of the Devo12 interface for other pages, as well as the addition of new gui widgets is not next on my todo list, so these requests will likely need to wait.

I have reworked some of the other pages. I will check if they are still compatible to the actual progress (they are mostly independent from the main page so why not...) and file them as enhancements in bitbucket.

More
20 Jun 2013 09:13 - 20 Jun 2013 13:00 #11163 by FDR

PhracturedBlue wrote: I believe this addresses all feedback to date with regards to the new layout gui.

I have two remarks left unsolved:

FDR wrote: 11. Could the long mouse press select the element before opening the popup, when we press on a deselected one?

12. When you step throw the elements with the keyboard, the text is black on the actual but not selected elements, which is barely visible on the ones with dark grey background.

About the 11. it would do if the long press didn't work on elements other then selected, but it would be better if the long press could change selection...

A few more new:

13. It is good that you can't change the coordinates when no element is selected, but then the spinboxes could be replaced with simple textboxes to indicate that.

14. A really minor cosmetic one: the add element dialog would be nicer if the "Cancel" button would be aligned with the "Load" button. I know it is because the cancel button is right in the middle, but with a little change of the dialog width could manage it, probably together with spacing out the buttons...
Last edit: 20 Jun 2013 13:00 by FDR.

• rbe2012
More
20 Jun 2013 12:50 #11165 by rbe2012

PhracturedBlue wrote: a cancel button is difficult to implement as we would nee to keep track of all changes, which will waste a lot of RAM...

As far as I have understood only the dialog changes should be undone (reset to initial values or closing without saving), not a complete change history. There are only some sources and maybe some toggle icons to save - all byte values and no infinite number...

Time to create page: 0.174 seconds