Ultimate 7e-256k builds

More
08 May 2016 16:18 - 09 Dec 2016 16:22 #48045 by HappyHarry
Ultimate 7e-256k builds was created by HappyHarry
Ultimate 7e-256 builds are finally available in the nightly builds so there is no need for custom builds any longer 8) :woohoo: though the voice mod isn't yet accepted into the main repo so if anyone requires builds including those until it is please post in this thread to let me know and i'll put one up

do not try to install these builds on a stock devo7e, these builds are only intended for 7e's that have had the main processor replaced with an upgraded version that has more internal flash memory and as such are too large to fit the stock 7e

this thread is being posted to have builds readily available for the ultimate7e, which is the devo7e with an updated mcu to give us more storage space that PB developed, the thread with details of it's origins is here >>

In search of the ultimate 7e

Also slipstream has created really nice howto pages on the mcu swap, the links to those are here >>

7e processor upgrade

and pb has made building the files for deviation very easy by creating docker images that contain the complete build system, details here >>

docker images for building deviation

but for those people with a pc/laptop that has no support for virtualisation or only has a 32bit cpu i will post the builds here so everyone has access to them. so with that said you will find the builds in the test builds area here >>

test builds

there you will find the deviation 5.0.0 build for the ult7e, the files you are looking for will be preceded with my name so for instance the 5.0.0 build will look like this '[HappyHarry]Ultimate7e Deviation5.0.0 (1)'

Updated 3rd of December 2016
I've updated the build, the latest is [HappyHarry]Ultimate7e-deviation5-0-0-cca3757 3rd December . i have also uploaded a copy of the ultimate7e emulator for building models and testing on the pc and also 2 builds that add the extended audio code, one build mcu driven and the other trainer port driven.

as always if you find any bugs post them on the bugtracker here >>

Deviation Bug Tracker

posting any bugs you find is a good thing, it gives users like myself who don't have the coding knowledge to contribute the chance to help out the guys doing the actual heavy lifting 8)

so with that said enjoy your rc adventures and your new ultimate7e :)
Last edit: 09 Dec 2016 16:22 by HappyHarry.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 May 2016 16:54 #48050 by silpstream
Replied by silpstream on topic Ultimate 7e-256k builds
Nice. This will lower the barrier to adoption furthur, until we get automated nightly builds. *fingers still crossed*

Subscribing. Thanks v much!

More
08 May 2016 17:03 - 08 May 2016 17:06 #48051 by Fernandez
Replied by Fernandez on topic Ultimate 7e-256k builds
I ordered this one, but will take some time before it is here.
www.ebay.com/itm/371098518824?_trksid=p2...e=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Does it need another build or can I run same build on it, but then just not all memory is used?

Indeed, when I am doing this mod, then will also add the 6 switches mod and the 2 pots. I intend to use the, Taranis pots.
Last edit: 08 May 2016 17:06 by Fernandez.

More
08 May 2016 17:33 - 08 May 2016 17:35 #48054 by silpstream
Replied by silpstream on topic Ultimate 7e-256k builds
That one works and you can run the same build. You are correct in saying that you can only use 256k of memory.

Good to know you'll be doing the 6 switches and pots. We'll need more testers for it. The pots tutorial should be ready soon.
Last edit: 08 May 2016 17:35 by silpstream.

More
08 May 2016 18:58 #48063 by HappyHarry
Replied by HappyHarry on topic Ultimate 7e-256k builds
yes these builds will work with the 256k, 384k and 512k replacement mcu's, but as mentioned the ult7e bootloader only currently enables use of ~244k of memory. if the need ever arises that deviation requires more space than the 244k will provide PB said he'll look into hacking the bootloader again to enable this, but I don't ever see this needing to happen.

I will also be adding extra switches and pots when they arrive (waiting on the slow boat) as well as putting the rf modules back in, though I'm still hoping a correctly functioning 3in1 or the devo version 4in1 becomes available soon as I don't like the multi antenna look. I'm going to have to start brushing up on my c++ so as to mod the code for 3 x 3way, 1 x 2way and 2 x pots to work! wish me luck lol

More
08 May 2016 21:03 #48071 by Richard96816
Replied by Richard96816 on topic Ultimate 7e-256k builds

HappyHarry wrote: yes these builds will work with the 256k, 384k and 512k replacement mcu's, but as mentioned the ult7e bootloader only currently enables use of ~244k of memory. if the need ever arises that deviation requires more space than the 244k will provide PB said he'll look into hacking the bootloader again to enable this, but I don't ever see this needing to happen.

Don't any of the higher capacity, compatible chips have a usable built-in boot-loader?

More
08 May 2016 21:32 #48076 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic Ultimate 7e-256k builds

Richard96816 wrote:

HappyHarry wrote: yes these builds will work with the 256k, 384k and 512k replacement mcu's, but as mentioned the ult7e bootloader only currently enables use of ~244k of memory. if the need ever arises that deviation requires more space than the 244k will provide PB said he'll look into hacking the bootloader again to enable this, but I don't ever see this needing to happen.

Don't any of the higher capacity, compatible chips have a usable built-in boot-loader?

They all have usable built-in bootloaders. But using them is problematical. Devention (and hence deviation) dfuse tools uses a proprietary protocol. I don't know if the ultimate7e build could work with a standard dfuse tool or still needs one of the Walkera-corrupted ones. So you have issues with needing a dfu bootloader, which the chip may or may not have, and if they do, the hardware connections that it requires, which may or may not be the ones used by the USB port on the transmitter. And of course, they don't know anything about the LCD on the transmitter, so have no way to turn on the display indicating that they are in DFU mode. Using a custom, per-tx bootloader avoids all those issues and makes the install/upgrade process the same on all of them

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
08 May 2016 23:49 #48081 by Richard96816
Thanks, Mike. I do recall the bootloader discussion. Being compatible across the Devo line is desirable. But using the built-in loader would probably save a lot of effort for those wanting to use the extra space in the more capacious chips. No need to support the LCD just for loading, the computer display should be enough.

Seems a shame to have a free, built-in, bullet-proof, permanent loader on the chip and not use it.

Connected to the existing USB would be great. But adding another connector seems trivial when you're already switching out cpu chips. And Walkera compatibility is probably history at that point anyway.

More
09 May 2016 00:08 - 09 May 2016 00:11 #48082 by HappyHarry
I'd understand putting the effort into this for a stock 7e where saving the 12k of the added bootloader would be very welcome, but with the ult7e where the 256k (well all of the upgraded chips really with the current bootloader) chips have ~60k free space with deviation and the bootloader loaded I can't see a good reason for it. if it were just some code changes then yeah, but when your talking adding another usb header which will need soldering to mcu pins and mounted somewhere accessable, or cutting the traces to the existing chip and jumpering to them etc it's a bit much for little gain imo. if your worried about space then use the 384k or 512k chip instead of the 256k one and hack the bootloader to enable the extra space they provide, gaining 128-256k of space is a much better return for the effort imo
Last edit: 09 May 2016 00:11 by HappyHarry.

More
09 May 2016 00:33 #48084 by Richard96816
The bootloader on one of my 7e's got trashed when I first tried to load Deviation and needed to be reloaded. It was a little messy.

I guess I really like the idea of a bootloader in ROM. Especially when it's already built in. :-)

More
09 May 2016 00:45 #48085 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Ultimate 7e-256k builds
The internal bootloader on the 103 series is serial based, not USB accessible. You would need to open your transmitter every time you wanted to reprogram, or add a switch to the boot pads. It really makes no sense to save 16kB for the work needed. it may make sense for the 7e, but I don't really want to support multiple bootloader solutions.

More
09 May 2016 09:57 #48099 by mtx63
Replied by mtx63 on topic Ultimate 7e-256k builds
;) perfect. exactly what I was looking for.

More
09 May 2016 13:27 - 09 May 2016 13:28 #48115 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Ultimate 7e-256k builds
Happy Harry,
I've removed the attachments in your first post. I no longer allow firmware to be included in the forum. You have developer access and can upload test builds and that is what the section is for. Please add the test builds and link them instead.
The main reason for this is that it makes backing up the website more cumbersome since we have hundreds of old links to firmware that are out of date scattered throughout posts.

Instructions: www.deviationtx.com/forum/7-development/...s-easily-to-the-test
Last edit: 09 May 2016 13:28 by PhracturedBlue.

More
09 May 2016 17:28 #48123 by HappyHarry
no problem, I'll look at getting it set up tonight :)

More
09 May 2016 22:27 #48138 by HappyHarry
first post updated with new links to the builds in the test build area. thanks pb :)

More
10 May 2016 04:23 #48146 by Arakon
Replied by Arakon on topic Ultimate 7e-256k builds
Suggestion: Put the link seperately (seperate line/paragraph), it's kind of hard to find it quickly in that wall of text.

More
10 May 2016 11:38 #48162 by HappyHarry
makes sense for those browsing on mobiles where links aren't as visiable, but most browsers highlight and underline links so they should be noticable, plus I wanted people to read the whole post as there is lots of good information linked in it. anyway I've done it now :)

More
16 May 2016 21:40 - 16 May 2016 21:48 #48554 by HappyHarry
I've updated the nightly build and details can be found in the first post, as always if you find any bugs post them on the bugtracker here >>

Deviation Bug Tracker

or post here and i'll post it on the bug tracker on your behalf.

with that said enjoy your rc adventures :)
Last edit: 16 May 2016 21:48 by HappyHarry.

More
19 May 2016 11:20 - 19 May 2016 11:54 #48697 by Cereal_Killer
Replied by Cereal_Killer on topic Ultimate 7e-256k builds
Bug reports.
Major- no up button when SWB0 (good when B1 or B2)

Minor bug:
When you go to delete you can't move back right. Also !PPM79 is not a valid input.

Taranis X9E | DEVO 10 | Devo U7E | Taranis Q7

What I do in real life: rivergoequestrian.com/
Last edit: 19 May 2016 11:54 by Cereal_Killer.

More
19 May 2016 11:42 #48701 by HappyHarry
thanks bud, i'll see if i can replicate them when i get home tonight, is this the latest build 8c876ba?

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds